Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense 10 v's Phillips Dreamstation
Resmed Airsense 10 v's Phillips Dreamstation
Just a quick review on my thoughts of both...

i purchased my own Resmed machine 12 months back before i was formerly diagnosed. i'd been using it and adjusting as/when needed for effective treatment. my last hospital, who were difficult to get to speak with or see face to face used Resmed themselves.
i've just changed hospitals, and the new hospital more local to me only uses Phillips so have given me a Dreamstation with Humidifier.
i've opted to switch over to the Phillips as the new hospital will be able to read the data, which they wou;dn't be abel to do if i continued with the Resmed.

i've changed all the settings over from the Resmed to the Philips.

my first couple of thoughts after a week of usage....

on the resmed i was able to adjust the pressure by 0.2. this was helpful as i found that 11.6 and up was too high, so i frequently kept it as 11.2-11.4 as that was the best minimum setting for what i thought was effective treatment. the phillips on the other hand is only adjustable by 0.5. the 11 setting feels too low, but the 11.5 feels too strong. i'm persuveering with the 11.5 for the moment and will then adjust as needed. 

the humidier on the resmed offered a lot more settings. i could, even in this hot weather put the setting high enough to get good moisture in the mask, and i rarely had a dry mouth on waking. the phillips on the other hand is very poor. i tried a few nights on the "3" setting, and woke up with very little water used (on the fixed humidification setting) and a dry mouth. for the past couple of nights i've changed it to the upper limit of 5, and its used all the water but my mouth is just as dry. the Phillips humification setting doesn't feel as effective as the Resmed.

the models in question were:
Resmed Airsense 10 Auto with heated tube.
Phillips Dreamstation (current model) with heated tube.
Mask used is Resmed Airtouch mask.

has anyone else got any tips for increasing the moisture comfort on the Phillips?

many thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Airsense 10 v's Phillips Dreamstation
Nope. That's about all you can do with the humidifier. You could try using Xylimelts to help keep your mouth moist. You can pick them up on Amazon.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
go back to the resmed. I tried the philips,. same sort of issues so my doc said "back to the resmed, your comfort is more important than me being able to read data easily"

Nice to have a doctor that thinks of his patiens first
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-17-2018, 03:16 PM)matthewb Wrote: go back to the resmed. I tried the philips,. same sort of issues so my doc said "back to the resmed, your comfort is more important than me being able to read data easily"

Nice to have a doctor that thinks of his patiens first

well, after 2 weeks of trying the Philips dreamstation i last night went back to my Resmed Airsense 10.
my episodes were 3.5-4x higher on the Philips compared to the Resmed. On top of that the Humidifier was so inconsistant on the Philips. i had the best nights sleep in a long time on the resmed, so will be continuing with that long term. 
just need to tell my Doc that i won't be able to use their hardware - just hope they are as understanding as yours was. 
i'm happy to show them my sleepyhead data if they need proof of the effectiveness.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2018, 09:11 AM)sleepybones Wrote: well, after 2 weeks of trying the Philips dreamstation i last night went back to my Resmed Airsense 10.
my episodes were 3.5-4x higher on the Philips compared to the Resmed. On top of that the Humidifier was so inconsistant on the Philips. i had the best nights sleep in a long time on the resmed, so will be continuing with that long term. 
just need to tell my Doc that i won't be able to use their hardware - just hope they are as understanding as yours was. 
i'm happy to show them my sleepyhead data if they need proof of the effectiveness.

I own both.  My AHI is always lower on the ResMed, but I've concluded it must be due to a different scoring system.  I actually feel better when I use the Phillips.  So I just use my ResMed for travel.

If you feel better on the ResMed, then I'd go with that.  They'll both resolve your sleep apnea, so then you may as well go with the one that makes you feel better.

As far as the humidifiers... Have you tried the Auto settings on both the humidity and the temp?  That's what works for me, on both machines.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 463 1 hour ago
Last Post: Old Steve
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,815 6 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  DreamStation 2 vs ResMed S9 gonzalo 3 71 03-25-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  Switching from Dreamstation 1 to AirSense II autoset jed3 2 168 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM
Last Post: jed3
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,618 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.