Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense Auto BiPAP
RE: Resmed Airsense Auto BiPAP
(04-05-2015, 04:55 PM)swwalden1 Wrote:
(04-05-2015, 01:36 PM)vsheline Wrote: What did the SpO2 do during times when the Respiration Rate was high? (If SpO2 was 94 to 96, perhaps there is no harm in the high RR?)

I could very well be wrong, but it seems to me the depletion of CO2 would be a bigger concern than a drop in O2.

I think depletion of CO2 can lead to central apnea or "Periodic Breathing".

Immediately after the rapid Respiration Rate ends, is central apnea or periodic breathing occurring?

I suggest taking a close look at the Flow waveform during several of the times which have very high RR, so see if it looks to you like your RR is really as high as the machine is reporting.

Sometimes my Flow has a tendency to fool my machine into reporting a RR which approaches twice my real RR. This is because my Flow sometimes does little excursions into and out of positive territory between breaths, and my machine falsely interprets the slight positive/negative squiggles between breaths as being additional breaths.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2015, 07:25 PM)vsheline Wrote: Sometimes my Flow has a tendency to fool my machine into reporting a RR which approaches twice my real RR. This is because my Flow sometimes does little excursions into and out of positive territory between breaths, and my machine falsely interprets the slight positive/negative squiggles between breaths as being additional breaths.

I looked at the flow rate during one of the reported 50+ RRs events and you are absolutely correct. The wave form was very irregular. I don't know quite how to describe it but it not sinusoidal. Thanks. One less thing to worry about.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2015, 07:25 PM)vsheline Wrote: Sometimes my Flow has a tendency to fool my machine into reporting a RR which approaches twice my real RR. This is because my Flow sometimes does little excursions into and out of positive territory between breaths, and my machine falsely interprets the slight positive/negative squiggles between breaths as being additional breaths.

I have noted the same; and so has user PaytonA.
I moved my IPAP min time out from default to 0.6 seconds to tame this double trigger effect.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2015, 08:20 PM)justMongo Wrote:

I have noted the same; and so has user PaytonA.
I moved my IPAP min time out from default to 0.6 seconds to tame this double trigger effect.

On standard bi-level machines like yours the TiMin (minimum time taken for inhalation) is an adjustable parameter. That's one of the benefits to having an upgraded bi-level (VPAP or BiPAP or AirCurve 10) machine.

TiMin is not adjustable on the S9 Elite or S9 AutoSet or the new AirSense 10 models.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was about to make the same mistake as Mongo due to the thread title. On the OP's older S8 the Ti min and max are adjustable until I read Vaughn's reply and checked the original post carefully. As Mongo mentioned both he and I have adjusted this error out of our machines. The next best thing is to realize that it is not something that one needs to be concerned about.

I do not understand why swwalden's MD did not put him in an Aircurve 10 Auto for a trial. That would have made more sense to me and then sw could have probably adjusted the error out. Oh well, so much for understanding. What in the world was wrong with me. I was actually trying to think about this. Laugh-a-lot Laugh-a-lot

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,744 1 hour ago
Last Post: her.suit
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 412 2 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 615 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,607 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,774 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 253 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 228 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.