Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Airsense for Her
Resmed Airsense for Her
Does anyone have experience with the Resmed airsense for her? I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and my insurance company referred me too a supplier who set me up with the Resmed airsense 10 with autoset.  They just gave me this one and didn’t say anything about alternatives or why I would need one over the other. So I was wondering if it would be worth pushing to get the “for her“ version instead. Do any women out there have any experience with it? Do any women have experience with other machines not working so well for them?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Airsense for Her
I was using a For Her, but just gave it to my fiancée after getting her to try it for a few nights.

The For Her algorithm responds sooner but a little more softly. It will only go up to 12 in response to apnea/hypopnea, but will still go to 20 for flow/limitation and snore. Apnea characteristics are apparently different in women, and women are apparently more sensitive to pressure changes (disturbing their sleep).

The For Her algorithm is not intended for severe apnea though (my diagnosis), but the machine still has the regular modes as well.

My fiancée’s diagnosis was supposedly UARS (and I see a lot of flow limitations in her data), but she was also getting a lot of hypopnea and obstructive apnea episodes. She is very sensitive to pressure though, so she seemed like a good candidate.

She was only getting her AHI down to 13 on the Respironics. With a little tweaking, we were able to get it down to 0.44 using the Resmed For Her mode.

There are no drawbacks whatsoever to getting the For Her machine. It does everything the regular machines do. Even if you don’t end up using the For Her mode, it also adds a couple of other features: Respiratory Effort Arousal logging and a “Response” control (regular or soft).

The cost is the same (actually, I bought my For Her on sale for only $637 new). IMHO, they should just discontinue the regular Airsense 10 Autoset. It doesn’t make sense to NOT get the For Her. You may or may not benefit from that mode (regardless of gender), but there’s no downside to having it as an option.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mpc, the For Her is an Autoset with an additional algorithm intended mainly to help with flow limitation related to upper airway resistance (UARS). We have summarized the difference in the Autoset and Autoset for her algorithm in this wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Algorithms

Please read that article and ask any questions you may have. I guess the bottom line is that the for her algorithm works for some and not others, but it is sold in a machine that costs that same as the standard Autoset. Your Autoset is an excellent machine with both standard and soft Autoset algorithm. The For Her simply adds the For Her algorithm. Chance are very good you won't miss it. Feel free to post some charts and we can discuss how it relates to you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your responses! That was very helpful.

One week in, I have learned the importance of doing your own research (like with the good folks on this board!). The person at the CPAP supplier told me that the difference amounted to "pretty drawings" on the outside of the machine. SMH!

Also learned that this company does not like people looking at their own data. The SD card was missing on the machine they gave me. I put my own in but it only has summary data four the first week. I will definitely check that on the new machine.

My first machine developed a loud noise that amounts to an amplified version of every single inhale and they tell me that means it's failing. So back it goes. The "for her" version requires a new prescription, so I asked my doctor.

Thanks again. Will post graphs when I have them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I only managed to use it for 2.5 hours last night because of the noise (the defect for which they are replacing it.)  Here's my charts. Any help making sense of this would be appreciated!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The numbers are VERY good. How do you feel?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-22-2019, 10:58 AM)bonjour Wrote: The numbers are VERY good.  How do you feel?

Or, how did you feel at 2:40 when you woke and turned the machine off (besides annoyed by the noise)?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your help.

I feel somewhat more energetic - not ready to run a marathon like some, but I notice some difference. Looking forward to seeing what a whole night brings!
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck keep at it for me the improvement was gradual I really notice if I miss a night I feel awful
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 90 Yesterday, 11:58 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,474 Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 141 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 27,019 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 140 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 68,170 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,669 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.