Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Auto Sense 10 - 5 Days in - Started Well and Now Going Downhill - Normal?
Resmed Auto Sense 10 - 5 Days in - Started Well and Now Going Downhill - Normal?
Hi All, 
I was just diagnosed and got my machine on 4/16. I actually got diagnosed because of an unrelated doctor visit where I mentioned morning headaches. The doctor thought I may have sleep apnea. My husband has been saying for years that I snore and he was worried I was not breathing at times. I was diagnosed at "at least moderately", average of 18 episodes per hour. The first night with my machine was amazing. I felt better even though I never suspected I had apnea. I got about 8 hours with the machine each of the first 3 nights but then began noticing how tired I felt. Yesterday, I was constantly yawning only about 3 hours from being out of bed. Last night I fell asleep without the machine (I just fell asleep before I could put it on) and slept wonderfully for 7 hours, got up put the machine on, struggled for an hour and a half, took it off, and then slept for another 2 hours peacefully. 

Is it typical to use the machine for a few days and then start to feel more tired? I just don't know why I should use a machine when I feel better after not using it for a night? I know it's a long process and I don't understand all the terms being used here. I guess I should give it time. It's really frustrating. 

The only link that makes me suspect I could be impacting my health is a high C-Reative Protein (CRP) reading which I've known about for 5 years. I've had my heart tested and it's fine but my number is much higher than normal/acceptable. My husband and I have been following an anti-inflammatory diet since December 2018 and it has helped- mentally and physically - we are losing weight very slowly. 

My husband was diagnosed about a month before me. He is struggling much worse than I. His experience with sleep has never been good. I guess it's good we are both going through this at the same time so we can support each other but it feels very sad right now. I want to think this is going to get better.

Thanks for any suggestions. I'll continue to learn and read more about it. I'm so glad there is a forum to discuss it with others.

Thanks All.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Auto Sense 10 - 5 Days in - Started Well and Now Going Downhill - Normal?
It’s very good that you’ve gotten a diagnosis and started your therapy. Same goes for your husband. That’s the first and biggest step!

I’m not any kind of expert, but one thing I’ve figured out from reading this forum is that everybody is different, and that within each person’s journey there are lots of twists and turns. Even when things seem quite discouraging, stick with it!  I had a completely rotten first two weeks, then a longish period of trial and error, and now a pretty smooth time of it, with better mood, alertness, memory, and cognition during the day. 

When you used your machine for that 1.5 hours last night, what about it felt like a struggle?   Just the sheer strangeness of it all?  Air blowing out of your mouth?  The feel of the pillows on your nose?  Hose management? Or...?

One trick people sometimes use is to mask up and turn the machine on during the day while doing something enjoyable like reading or watching TV. That reduces some of the strangeness, and you can play around with adjusting your mask straps and practice using your tongue to help keep air from exiting your mouth. 

Let us know what’s bothering you in particular, and we can try to help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Auto Sense 10 - 5 Days in - Started Well and Now Going Downhill - Normal?
I'm new to SA therapy and I'm still waiting for it to kick-in and make me feel better. For me, it's gone about as smoothly as possible.

From the 1st night to now, I took to it w/o any issues. I started the therapy last September. According to myair and my sleep doctor, it's going great.

Some on here said it took them years before they felt an improvement in their sleep. I'm not so sure I want to wait that long. I'm going to give it a year and then re-evaluate the situation. 

Maybe at my age (64) I'm expecting too much?  Then again, maybe I'm not. Obviously, we all experience different results, and some have it much worse than others do, in regards to complications and such. 

Anyways, I'm giving it my best and hoping for some rock-solid results, sometime in the not-too-distant future. Just not sure as of yet how much I'm really willing to wait.  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2019, 08:40 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm new to SA therapy and I'm still waiting for it to kick-in and make me feel better. For me, it's gone about as smoothly as possible.

From the 1st night to now, I took to it w/o any issues. I started the therapy last September. According to myair and my sleep doctor, it's going great.

Some on here said it took them years before they felt an improvement in their sleep. I'm not so sure I want to wait that long. I'm going to give it a year and then re-evaluate the situation. 

Maybe at my age (64) I'm expecting too much?  Then again, maybe I'm not. Obviously, we all experience different results, and some have it much worse than others do, in regards to complications and such. 

Anyways, I'm giving it my best and hoping for some rock-solid results, sometime in the not-too-distant future. Just not sure as of yet how much I'm really willing to waitDont-know

I'm afraid that you're in the same boat as many others, myself included, who complain of poor sleep and/or low energy when our apnea is apparently under control. You have to decide which of two evils you're going to accept - the apnea with its associated health risks, or the sleep problem.

There is possibly a third option though. Some users claim to have improved the way they feel through optimisation of their therapy. The gurus on here can help with that, if better or more appropriate settings are possible.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2019, 09:33 PM)StevesSp Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 08:40 PM)Big Guy Wrote: I'm new to SA therapy and I'm still waiting for it to kick-in and make me feel better. For me, it's gone about as smoothly as possible.

Anyways, I'm giving it my best and hoping for some rock-solid results, sometime in the not-too-distant future. Just not sure as of yet how much I'm really willing to waitDont-know

I'm afraid that you're in the same boat as many others, myself included, who complain of poor sleep and/or low energy when our apnea is apparently under control. You have to decide which of two evils you're going to accept - the apnea with its associated health risks, or the sleep problem.

There is possibly a third option though. Some users claim to have improved the way they feel through optimisation of their therapy. The gurus on here can help with that, if better or more appropriate settings are possible.

I seem to be sleeping fine. I get a full night's sleep and have only missed three nights w/o using my CPAP machine. Those three nights were a conscious decision on my part. 

I suppose part of my frustration is not knowing how much time I'll have to dedicate to the SA process, before I begin to feel an improvement.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I talk about poor sleep, I mean sleep that isn't refreshing. Like you, I seem to sleep OK for my age (62) but I nevertheless feel like cr*p when I wake and suffer fairly significant daytime sleepiness. This suggests to me that PAP compromises sleep quality in some way, rather than 'sleep quantity'.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2019, 10:19 PM)StevesSp Wrote: When I talk about poor sleep, I mean sleep that isn't refreshing. Like you, I seem to sleep OK for my age (62) but I nevertheless feel like cr*p when I wake and suffer fairly significant daytime sleepiness. This suggests to me that PAP compromises sleep quality in some way, rather than 'sleep quantity'.

Gotcha! And, I do agree with you. I have to sometimes wonder if just getting older effects the way one sleeps? 

Seems to me, nothing gets better as you age. The daily aches & pains increase, your diet changes, and you just seem to have less energy than you would like, among a bunch of other things.  

I don't want to make a significant investment in time, effort, and money, only to find out that after a few years, you have nothing to really show for it. 

I don't have a clue as to how long I've had SA. Probably longer than I want to know. I guess at this point, all I can do is wait and see if things improve. I'm willing to do that and give it some more time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-21-2019, 10:36 PM)Big Guy Wrote: Seems to me, nothing gets better as you age.

Absolutely, and every day brings a new 'surprise'.

I was told, many years ago that, "Everything gets harder as you grow old."

Liars. Mine didn't.
Post Reply Post Reply
Growing older isn't for the faint-of-heart.  oldman
Post Reply Post Reply
we all want to feel rejuvenated. happily, most people do feel improvement in relatively short order. more get to it in time. I'm 2.5 years in and continue to be dogged by some fatigue, low energy, brain fog, etc. but I'm soooo much better than a couple years ago. whatever, the thing to remember is that as important as it is, it's not just about how we feel. pap is very likely extending and improving our lives. untreated apnea degrades and threatens our lives in countless ways. it can even kill us suddenly. ignore apnea and it'll get worse. I did and it did. the fact is, with current treatment methods there's a near 100% chance we'll have to dedicate the rest of our lives to SA. accepting that was the hard part for me. it's can be frustrating but it does get better. in the final analysis, it isn't all that hard and the alternative simply isn't very good.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 598 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 211 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 420 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,352 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,595 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 236 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.