Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Nasal Mask questions
Nasal Mask questions
Hello all....I've had a really hard time with a full face mask and a hybrid mask.  I can only wear it for a few hours before I rip it off my face and throw it to the ground.  I was wondering if a Nasal Mask would be the answer.  The problem I may have is that I am a mouth breather and  I may not get the required therapy.

I've also heard that a Nasal Mask is better.

What are your thoughts??

Todd
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Mask questions
Hi Todd! - Welcome
I'm looking at your pressure range in your profile and see that it is set so low that you will feel like you're suffocating. Most people need around 7 cm or more to overcome this feeling. I would look into this adjustment before trying other alternatives. After all, it is the quickest, cheapest, and easiest thing to try. If you decide to try either a nasal or nasal pillow mask, you may want to look into a chinstrap or a soft cervical collar to help keep you from mouth breathing.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Mask questions
Hi Todd, and welcome to Apnea Board.

I'll ditto Crimson Nape.

You may want to bump that pressure up to 6 and see if it's any better. Most adults need at least 6 as their minimum pressure or things like that ripping off the mask occur. That is because the body reacts to being suffocated by air restrictions just like this.

First off though, you may want to get the free OSCAR app to see your sleep data on your PC. Post it here for us to see and we can offer suggestions. Best to you and hope we can get you doing better with the CPAP.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 160 03-27-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 272 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 100 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,081 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,229 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 267 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.