Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Auto10, Eson2 - to N20 mask - thoughts?
Resmed Auto10, Eson2 - to N20 mask - thoughts?
Hi folks,
The old adage if it dont break, dont fix it\change it usually holds true of most things and I have had faithful treatment with my Eson then a Eson2 for a few years now via my Resmed Autoset S10 - however not overly excited with life of the Eson2 parts.

Mask\cushions\headgear
F&P Eson - March 2016 - Aug 2018 for Eson (30 ?months - single headgear)
F&P Eson2 - Aug 2018 - Dec 2019 16 months mask, but 3 sets of headgear and one nasal frame repair (top clip for headgear).
I look after my stuff, without being exessive - the headgear of eson2 was washed with same frequency, same water\soap etc as Eson.  Mask\cushion\frame the same.

Finally however, I am 'over' the issues with the newer velro and weak plastic nasal bridge clips on the Eson2.   
-Replacing it too reguarly IMHO, so looking for a different design\better version - but want same\similar treatment ability.

I will post my a Eson2 chart - bear in mind, here headgear and cushion is approx 16 months old, 3rd headgear in 16 months - velcro is gone again, now tied into 'knots' to secure it.

A Resmed N20 with medium cushion - about a week in (Trial - 4 weeks) - these screenshot is "approximatley" same most nights to date on the trial.
Felt pretty good - no eye soreness, tears etc, very little mouth dryness, no other things spring to mind.

Same Resmed N20 but with large cushion - this was a disaster, air leakage into eyes, poor "feeling" next day, just felt off so went back to medium after 2 consistent nights on large.
I wanted to try a large cushion as my nose width is 2" approx and the medium feels slighly constrictive, but large seems far to large due to the amount of air bleeding out?

A few things I am aware of to help community - 
- I am aware that I have some mouth leakage, I have a very minor dry mouth every 2nd\3rd day.
- Mask leakage may be on the high side \ right on the 24\l threshold at times, but I also tend to 'move around' a bit in sleep - not sure if thats mask settling etc.
- 6am onwards (ish) - I have 2 very young kids jump\join me in bed whilst wife and I still half asleep - thus some of the wierdness at 6am+
- My sleep study (titrated? in a proper medical sleep-in clinic) determined a required pressure of 17, fixed pressure originally,  with (orginally untreated) AHI of 114
- All other symptoms have gone and in fact stayed completely gone for about 3 1/2 years, headaches, tiredness, bathroom breaks during night etc.
- In the last 365 days, all fully compliant, my AHI was never over 5, average 2-3 usually, some days under 1.

N20 "Seems" like less leaks and better results, I feel about the same\ slightly better?  - however 
a) the air vent on N20 undefused (compared to Eson2) - drives my wife (and me to some extent nuts) so Eson2 still a better idea?
b) its it a placebo that the N20 is doing a "better job" ?   Ps  Yes  N20 is set on PILLOWS seteting.
c) Eson2 was pretty deterioated, thus choice to try a whole new mask rather than just renew the headgear - worth 'trying' a Eson2 (new) again and rerun the numbers compared to 'New' n20 trial numbers?

Thoughts, general comments - feel free...much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Auto10, Eson2 - to N20 mask - thoughts?
Guess I posted too much TL : DR Tongue
Post Reply Post Reply
The Velcro on a lot of headgear often goes and I have to repair it a lot.
I had to make headgear strap for going round the back of the head as the strap that came with the headgear stretched then the Velcro would not hold anymore. So I took a half inch strip of Velcro and sewed the hooked end to each end. Then put it through the hoops of the headgear and stuck it to itself. The strap that goes over the head on some headgear I have had to add the Velcro and use the hooked side across the top to make it tighter when the original material stretched. I have made headgear, I am not paying for new headgear. The reason I got into making headgear was they stopped supplying the mask and headgear here, so I got the bits that were left from the hospital and made headgear for the mask, which was Nasal Pillows. But they were the only ones that worked for me at the time as I as a CPAP at high pressure. Now I have a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, it runs at a lot lower a pressure and usually just steps up the flow if required. The pressure has gone up a bit, but it is the Headgear that is a bit of a problem, usually the straps. I use a Chin strap and it is constantly having to be repaired.
I just sew in new Velcro when things stretch and sew other bits, I am going to have to give up this year with the one I have, it has lasted three years, but on its last legs. There is not a lot to sew anything to anymore. I think I will just make one from scratch as I can't appear to get one that works for me!
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2020, 06:20 AM)DruiD Wrote: Guess I posted too much   TL : DR   Tongue

Maybe you scared everyone away!   Dont-know
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought...from wearing masks for 35+ years.
The new ones don't last as long as the old ones, but they work a lot better. I wore my Breeze nasal pillows for 5years. Today six months seems to be about it.

Second thought (said it before) If I have to wear all this crap every night, it better work!

However, what's important is your comfort and treatment.
I get some satisfaction using a machine and mask made by the same manufacturer. I've had 2 or 3 N20 masks. They work well for me. The headgear stretches so I buy a new mask and headgear instead of just an insert. Soon as I do my number improve and my sleep quality does too.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2020, 12:29 PM)DaveL Wrote: Just a thought...from wearing masks for 35+ years.
The new ones don't last as long as the old ones, but they work a lot better. ..............
.......... I've had 2 or 3 N20 masks. They work well for me.  The headgear stretches so I buy a new mask and headgear instead of just an insert. Soon as I do my number improve and my sleep quality does too.

Yeh, I am finding I am more and more getting used to the N20, some of my lowest AHI and other numbers, including leak %  etc EVER.
A few more days left on my trial, do I bother getting a Eson2 again for 1 week . or just pay for a new N20..... /sigh

Guess its the balance between good headger \cushion thats working well, but shorter lifespan.     
....Like tyres i guess - softer compound GRIP LIKE !@#!  but wear out faster!
Post Reply Post Reply
I've used this n20 for over 9 months. It's performing better than the last one, and living longer.
I'll change masks if my sleep quality deteriorates....
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I had an Eson for a few years, and was happy with it. I changed the nasal piece every six months and the headgear used to last nearly 12 months. I got sucked into the "new and updated" Eson 2 and the masks last about four months before they start to leak and the headgear is useless after eight months. I have just gone back to the Eson, and the comfort factor is much better. For me I must add. I think that manufacturers just make a "new and  updated" mask and headgear that is bling but no actual substance. I am happy to be less fashionable to get comfort.

JamesW
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2020, 07:07 AM)DruiD Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 12:29 PM)DaveL Wrote: Just a thought...from wearing masks for 35+ years.
The new ones don't last as long as the old ones, but they work a lot better. ..............
.......... I've had 2 or 3 N20 masks. They work well for me.  The headgear stretches so I buy a new mask and headgear instead of just an insert. Soon as I do my number improve and my sleep quality does too.

Yeh, I am finding I am more and more getting used to the N20, some of my lowest AHI and other numbers, including leak %  etc EVER.
A few more days left on my trial, do I bother getting a Eson2 again for 1 week . or just pay for a new N20..... /sigh

Guess its the balance between good headger \cushion thats working well, but shorter lifespan.     
....Like tyres i guess - softer compound GRIP LIKE !@#!  but wear out faster!

My thought...go with the mask that gives you the best numbers.

(I keep my old headgear when I throw out my mask. Just in case I need to add something to the new mask headgear. I did that with my Dreamwear mask. It slipped on my face. I eventually gave up and got the N20 ResMed.)

I think that if we could convince everyone we met at our DME to wear a mask and hook up every night, we'd see improvements in masks and headgear.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 340 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 485 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,747 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  [CPAP] Still can't keep mask on after switching to ResMed Kevstuf 7 506 01-03-2024, 11:15 PM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,507 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  some thoughts after a few weeks? ifsmithy 39 1,567 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 832 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.