Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Autosense 10 - no prescription
Resmed Autosense 10 - no prescription
Hi
I need some advice on setting up a Resmed Autosense 10.
I don't have any obstructive apnea (tested locally by Resmed who suggested I use a MAD) but I snore a lot and my wife is sick of it. So sick of it that she has found a Resmed Autosense 10 that she is buying to shut me up.

Problem is that as I don't have any prescription I need some guidance on where to start with the settings values just to kill the snoring. I haven't got the machine yet so can't play but I'd appreciate peoples thoughts on this.

cheers
Malcom
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Autosense 10 - no prescription
There are far cheaper, easier, and convenient (and cheaper) ways to cut down on snoring than using a CPAP machine. If you've had a sleep test and you didn't get the diagnosis, then what you are doing is akin to eating an entire cake because your blood sugar *might* be low but you aren't sure but you don't have a meter so you're going to eat a cake to bring it up and not just any cake, but the most expensive cake in the store 'cause your wife said to. When, really, a cheap or free glucose meter would answer that question.

So why not get a mandibular advancement device? That would also help with the snoring.

What did the sleep test say, specifically?

Anyway, if you want to go ahead, start here to get the manual.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Then go here and read how to determine your treatment pressure:
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...re-on-cpap
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset will come with default settings using a minimum pressure of 4-cm and maximum pressure of 20 cm. If you did nothing, it would increase pressure automatically to resolve snoring and airway resistance. You will probably find a higher minimum pressure like 6 cm or more is more comfortable, but the machine will pretty much do this automatically. For someone like you, it is trial and error, and you just need to pay attention to whether you're comfortable or not. The choice of a mask will be important to your comfort as well. A nasal pillows mask is lighter and easier to wear, but does not work for everyone, if they cannot keep the pressure from exiting through the mouth. Again trial and error.

Usually heavy snoring is a pretty good predictor of sleep apnea or airway obstruction. What was the nature of the test used to determine you do not have apnea?

You can download a copy of the provider manual for that machine, and others from the link at the top of this page for CPAP Setup Manuals. Well, good luck with the machine, and hope you get lucky. Wink
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2016, 02:59 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: So why not get a mandibular advancement device? That would also help with the snoring.
I've tried a few different MADs including the tongue and jaw advance types. The jaw type don't suit my jaw and I eventually spit them out and the tongue type eventually fall off.

Yes I know its an expensive approach to the problem but she isn't buying it new. Its via her family somewhere - its a surprise so I don't have details. Figuring that I might need it the future anyway I guess.

Thanks for the links.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2016, 03:26 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Usually heavy snoring is a pretty good predictor of sleep apnea or airway obstruction. What was the nature of the test used to determine you do not have apnea?

Thanks for your info.
Yes thats why I had the sleep test done. Resmed sent me home with a data logger and a heap of sensors to log my sleep activity for one night.
I don't have the report with me but it showed there were no obstructive events but lots of snoring anyway.
Their conclusion was to retest in 12 months and see if it gets worse...
They said to try a MAD but they haven't worked out. They also said that a CPAP would definitely kill the snoring if I wanted to go that way.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi WomblingFree,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Feel free to ask as many questions as you need, to get your machine set up.
Good luck to you as you start your CPAP therapy and also with your new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't seem to have had a proper sleep study so any results from the 'Resmed test' (whatever that was) are probably spurious and should be ignored. While snoring may often be an indicator of sleep apnoea it is only one indicator. Other indicators include daytime sleepiness, waking up feeling like crap, a sense of depression, general fatigue, etc.

As a fellow Aussie can I recommend that you go to your GP and get him to schedule a bulk billed sleep study with the likes of SNORE Australia or similar. It will cost you nothing!

Whatever you do, don't start using CPAP until you know that you definitely have sleep apnoea.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2016, 04:24 AM)holden4th Wrote: You don't seem to have had a proper sleep study so any results from the 'Resmed test' (whatever that was) are probably spurious and should be ignored. While snoring may often be an indicator of sleep apnoea it is only one indicator. Other indicators include daytime sleepiness, waking up feeling like crap, a sense of depression, general fatigue, etc.
Resmed have a few of their own study centers and start off with a Home Sleep Test..
This wasn't an overnight study held in a clinic but at home using a Resmed supplied data logger with a million sensors stuck to me for the night. Take it back the next day and they spend a week playing with the data and give you a report. Obviously a consultation before and after including training on setting up the equipment.
Yup, have all those symptoms which is why I was initially sent for the study.

(10-26-2016, 04:24 AM)holden4th Wrote: As a fellow Aussie can I recommend that you go to your GP and get him to schedule a bulk billed sleep study with the likes of SNORE Australia or similar. It will cost you nothing!
It was the GP who sent me for the ResMed sleep study. Bulk billed etc.
Think Resmed would let me out without selling me a machine if they could?

(10-26-2016, 04:24 AM)holden4th Wrote: Whatever you do, don't start using CPAP until you know that you definitely have sleep apnoea.
Any reasons why not, can't hurt can it?

Appreciate your comments even though it sounds like I'm arguing with you but I'm not.
It maybe worth a second opinion from Snore. Pity as Resmed are only across the road from where I work, Snore is quite a way off.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 124 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
  Resmed 37028 Autosense Whines SleepHungry 18 936 11-24-2023, 01:54 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 795 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 985 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,986 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
  Power connector on Resmed 11 Autosense mzipp 4 581 03-04-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 462 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.