Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Autoset A10 is damaging my SD card?
Resmed Autoset A10 is damaging my SD card?
I pulled the SD card from my Resmed Autoset A10, I think for the first time since inserting it, and found surprisingly high friction in removing it. When it came out, the plastic lock slider popped off.

Reinserting the card without the lock piece results in it being read as write-locked, so unusable. (Some background: the write lock is just a piece of plastic that touches a switch inside the reader slot. Some readers ignore them. However the lock piece must be present in the right place for the card to be recognized as writable; if it's missing entirely, it defaults to locked)

Inspecting the card, I noticed a scratch down one edge of it that goes right over the base of the write lock slider. I took a close look in the SD card slot and I see a fairly sharp tab of metal sticking out that is consistent with the scratch on my card. In fact the way this tab drags across the card and write lock, I would expect it to push the tab to the locked position when inserting a card, and to push it back to the unlocked position when removing it. This seems nuts. Here is a photo in which the really shiny thing is that tab. Has anyone seen this before?

I am trying to decide if there is something more prudent to do than to stick a small flathead screwdriver in there and flatten out that tab. Conceivably it may have started off not bent to stick out at a 90 degree angle, but instead at a shallow angle so that it would only catch on the card when you go to remove it for the first time, which would bend it out to create the problem of damaging the write lock sliders. Why it's there at all is not clear to me.

I really hope to avoid taking the whole machine apart to sort out the CF reader slot. And seeing that the reader slot is made out of sheet metal, and the 30% 1-star reviews for FlashAir on Amazon, I can only imagine that sticking a WiFi device inside a sheet metal box is not going to work out, so I don't see the FlashAir or equivalent product as a solution to a CF slot that destroys cards.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Autoset A10 is damaging my SD card?
How long have you had your CPAP? Would you consider making a warranty claim? OK maybe it could only affect the SD card and it's slot, but your therapy depends on the data that normally would be on that card. To me, this situation is new but maybe others have dealt with this for themselves. Post updates on this when available.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
That should not happen. The SD slot is defective. An SD slot should never alter the position of the lock.

An old school trick is to tape over the slot the write protect is in.

Be aware that many SD cards are made without the slider and as such have no means to write lock.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just examined my A10 slot very closely and see the metal housing, but no tab sticking out. Perhaps there's a tear in the metal housing? Can you use a magnifier to examine it more closely? Your choices seem to be authorized repair or self repair with either the screwdriver trick you mentioned or by taking the machine apart. I've taken apart a S9 and a PRS1, but not a A10.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have heard that there is no need to set sd-card read only. If the computer corrupts the sd-card, ResMed AirSense 10 will format it when you put it back to machine. So... You can buy a new sd-card and put it to ResMed machine. And ResMed AirSense 10 formats it and stores all data from memory to sd card. Iam not sure is this possible, but can be tried.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your thoughts everyone. I was mostly curious to hear if anyone else experienced this.

The metal is dragging hard enough that inserting a card feels a bit like if you've tried to insert one upside-down. I'd expect a new card to be immediately damaged.

Because it's the least hassle I'm leaning towards self-repair. This machine is less than 2 months old, this is literally the first time I tried pulling an SD card back out of it. I might try calling the supplier (a sleep center) I bought it from to see if they've seen this before.

I'm also tempted to try a Toshiba FlashAir with cable extender (so that its antenna is in the clear).
Post Reply Post Reply
This is where having a back up machine might come in handy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
unidee Wrote:I have heard that there is no need to set sd-card read only. If the computer corrupts the sd-card, ResMed AirSense 10 will format it when you put it back to machine. So... You can buy a new sd-card and put it to ResMed machine. And ResMed AirSense 10 formats it and stores all data from memory to sd card. Iam not sure is this possible, but can be tried.

This is wrong. The detailed and high resolution data is written directly to the card - only the summary data is retained in the machine. You SHOULD have Oscar set to make an automatic backup, but if the detailed data is lost in any way you can not restore it from the machine.

The operating system writes an index file to the card - most machines ignore this, but the Resmed S9 series will not accept the "foreign" file and will try to reformat the card. And if that happens, any detailed data on the card is destroyed and cannot be retrieved from the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've gotten my original SD card, repaired & held together with packing tape, into my SD card slot and working, after using a screwdriver to push that tab more out of the way.

I was going to order an SD card extender cable and noticed in a product photo that the metal shell creating the slot does have a cutout, maybe part of a retention mechanism, that I can imagine getting bent out of place somehow.

I've ordered a FlashAir and plan to switch to that so I don't have to deal with a touchy SD card slot. If it doesn't work, I plan to order the extender cable and if  needed rip off some of the metal shell that I'd expect to block WiFi signal.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had this happen to a SD slot on a PRS1 760. Eventually the card slot would not hold the SD card in place and I used small pieces of card stock to wedge it in place. Ultimately the SD card slot failed. This is on my backup machine, so I'm okay with it, but repair or replacement would require disassembly of the main board and soldering a new SD slot into it. Not a job for a novice.

Your idea to use a flash card will delay the damage that will eventually render the slot useless. Each time you pull out or insert a card you risk the damage becoming worse. DAMHIK
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 467 2 hours ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 118 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 477 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,042 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 229 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Question ResMed AirSense 10 SD Card reuse? uselessdetails 3 414 02-16-2024, 02:51 PM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.