Resmed Autoset S10 awakens me with high pressure - won't ease off, even after waking
marco7222 Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Philips Dreamwear Nasal (M)
Humidifier: Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset
CPAP Pressure: 6 - 12
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Liked the Resmed N10 Nasal Mask - LOVE the Philips Dreamwear Version!

Sex: Male

Resmed Autoset S10 awakens me with high pressure - won't ease off, even after waking
Hi everyone,

I'm a new user. I had trial S10 for 34 days and last week purchased my own S10.

My apnea and sleeping are markedly improved, with MyAir scores in the very high 90's on most days however ...

In both the loan machine and my new one, at around 0430 most mornings, I am awakened by a large increase in air pressure - almost at Max Pressure (11.6 for me).

Upon waking I keep my mask on it and breathe normally for like 5 to 10 minutes trying to absorb the extra air but the machine won't reset or reduce pressures.

I finally have to hit the off button, remove my Dreamwear nasal mask (which is fantastic!) and restart the machine for a whole new sleep cycle.

Any suggestions?
05-29-2016 05:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

RE: Resmed Autoset S10 awakens me with high pressure - won't ease off, even after waking
The ResMed has a fairly slow response to reducing the pressure and a fairly aggressive or fast response to increasing it. I think the time for the pressure to fall off (return to the low setting) is around 20 minutes.

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
05-29-2016 07:43 PM
eseedhouse Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: SimPlus
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 7-10

Other Comments: Also on supplemental O2 at 3L/min. while sleeping.

RE: Resmed Autoset S10 awakens me with high pressure - won't ease off, even after waking
(05-29-2016 05:57 PM)marco7222 Wrote:  Upon waking I keep my mask on it and breathe normally for like 5 to 10 minutes trying to absorb the extra air but the machine won't reset or reduce pressures.

I finally have to hit the off button, remove my Dreamwear nasal mask (which is fantastic!) and restart the machine for a whole new sleep cycle.

Any suggestions?

As soon as you wake up,hit the off button and restart the machine. Also have a talk with your DME and see if they have some suggestions

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

I am neither a Doctor, nor any other kind of medical professional.

Actually you know, it is what it isn't.
05-29-2016 07:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
green wings Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Respironics System One RemStar Pro (460)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: integrated humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 13.0 cm

Other Comments: using CPAP since Jan. 2016

Sex: Undisclosed

What Frank said. The machine most likely detected apneas/hypopneas and that's why it increased the pressure.

If you decide to download the SleepyHead software, you may see that you are having a cluster of apnea events around that time every night.

Since you're new to using CPAP, 11.6 cm probably feels like a lot of air whooshing by your face. With time, you probably will sleep right through this when it happens, but for now, if it feels uncomfortable, I would cycle the power button just like you're doing.

One more thing, though - do you know what your EPR setting is? That's expiratory pressure relief, and it's a comfort setting to make it easier for you to exhale against pressure.

The setting can be 0, 1, 2, or 3. Three gives the most "relief" while exhaling against pressure. If your EPR is set to 0 or 1, you might try increasing it to 2 or 3.

Welcome to Apnea Board.
05-29-2016 08:21 PM
chill Online

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation X500
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

Welcome to the Apnea Board!

Your CPAP pressure in your profile (4-11) does not match up with your message, can you please update it?

4 as a starting pressure seems low to me, especially if you are ending up over 11. I feel starved for air at 4. I have noticed that I wake up more at an rapid increase in pressure rather than the pressure itself, e.g going from 10 to 13 rapidly wakes me up, but getting there gradually does not. Starting at a high minimum pressure may (a) avoid the problems to begin with and (b) at least result is less different in pressure.

The best way to monitor and evaluate is with the SleepyHead software, see the link at the top of the page.
05-29-2016 11:18 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
marco7222 Offline

Members

Other Comments: Liked the Resmed N10 Nasal Mask - LOVE the Philips Dreamwear Version!

Thanks for the advice. I checked out the events in Sleepyhead Software and shows that the increase in pressure was immediately after a 30 sec Obstructive Apnea.

Cycling down the S10 and restarting it makes the mosts sense as I cannot wait for 20 minutes for the machine to sense I am no longer in Apnea. At least I still have a chance of nodding off back to sleep if I do this instinctively.

Chill suggested I increase my base pressure from 4 (which I did a few days ago to 6) to now maybe 7 or 8. That will decrease the jump from lower pressure to higher pressure on an apnea event, so I will try that.

A call to Resmed confirmed that it can take the S10 up to 20 minutes to back off the pressure

As I said, my MyAir scores are often at 96 - 98 out of 100 and I feel quite rested relative to my restfulness prior to starting about 38 days ago. Just that wakeup at 4.30am is a nuisance!
05-29-2016 11:51 PM
chill Online

Advisory Members

Machine: DreamStation X500
Mask Make & Model: Walk-in Mask Closet
Humidifier: DreamStation
CPAP Pressure: 13-16

Other Comments: CPAP True Believer

Being able to see actual facts from SleepyHead will make this so much less mysterious. Not to nag on that... Big Grin

It is common for people to have more events during REM sleep, that might explain what you are experiencing.
05-30-2016 12:03 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
OpalRose Offline

Monitors

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto 560 with A Flex
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10 For Her
Humidifier: REMStar heated humidifier with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: Auto Cpap 10-13 AFLEX 1
CPAP Software: SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Started CPAP Therapy October 23, 2014

Sex: Female

marco7722,
Do you know what your 90% pressure readings are? Is it possible you can lower your max pressure setting? This way, you may not be awakened by a higher pressure. If you are able to narrow your pressure range, you would not notice such large bumps in pressure, especially if not needed.

Ideally, your range should be 2cm below the 90% number and 1 or 2 above. Start to watch these numbers on Sleepyhead.

Also, the APAP's generally don't raise pressure right away, it tends to wait until after the event and raise pressure and keep it there awhile to ward off more apnea events. And don't forget that the pressure will also rise due to snores and flow limitations. Something else to look at on SleepyHead.

I know that some are sensitive to pressure changes, but I believe there will come a point when you won't even notice that pressure of 11 or 12, and hopefully it won't wake you. Smile

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

OpalRose
(This post was last modified: 05-30-2016 09:16 AM by OpalRose.)
05-30-2016 09:14 AM
marco7222 Offline

Members

Thanks OpalRose and others ...

My 90% pressure is 9.7 - 10 for the past 30 days so based on that I can adjust my Min and Max Pressures to say Min 8 and Max 11. I will see how I go.

I have also been taping my mouth shut using a single strip of micropore tape and at the same time started wearing a Philips Dreamwear Nasal Mask. Using that combo, I got 2 nights AHI scores to 2.8 and 3.8 respectively.

I know it will be a process of tweaking over time.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2016 12:45 AM by marco7222.)
05-31-2016 12:44 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Still waking up... can someone help? mcsheltie 13 421 12-01-2016 11:56 AM
Last Post: 49er
  Is this sound normal? - Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset Ronberta 8 1,241 11-29-2016 07:59 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Need help with waking up at 4am Judy1843 12 485 11-29-2016 05:36 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 536 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  Events way too high! sfrasher 22 1,192 11-22-2016 06:35 PM
Last Post: sfrasher
  High AHI (7.5) and don't know why fotomatt1 15 631 11-20-2016 05:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Which disturbs sleep most? High Pressure or Changing Pressure Rcgop 7 1,261 11-10-2016 07:37 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore