Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Autoset S10 awakens me with high pressure - won't ease off, even after waking
Resmed Autoset S10 awakens me with high pressure - won't ease off, even after waking
Hi everyone,

I'm a new user. I had trial S10 for 34 days and last week purchased my own S10.

My apnea and sleeping are markedly improved, with MyAir scores in the very high 90's on most days however ...

In both the loan machine and my new one, at around 0430 most mornings, I am awakened by a large increase in air pressure - almost at Max Pressure (11.6 for me).

Upon waking I keep my mask on it and breathe normally for like 5 to 10 minutes trying to absorb the extra air but the machine won't reset or reduce pressures.

I finally have to hit the off button, remove my Dreamwear nasal mask (which is fantastic!) and restart the machine for a whole new sleep cycle.

Any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Autoset S10 awakens me with high pressure - won't ease off, even after waking
The ResMed has a fairly slow response to reducing the pressure and a fairly aggressive or fast response to increasing it. I think the time for the pressure to fall off (return to the low setting) is around 20 minutes.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Autoset S10 awakens me with high pressure - won't ease off, even after waking
(05-29-2016, 05:57 PM)marco7222 Wrote: Upon waking I keep my mask on it and breathe normally for like 5 to 10 minutes trying to absorb the extra air but the machine won't reset or reduce pressures.

I finally have to hit the off button, remove my Dreamwear nasal mask (which is fantastic!) and restart the machine for a whole new sleep cycle.

Any suggestions?

As soon as you wake up,hit the off button and restart the machine. Also have a talk with your DME and see if they have some suggestions
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
What Frank said. The machine most likely detected apneas/hypopneas and that's why it increased the pressure.

If you decide to download the SleepyHead software, you may see that you are having a cluster of apnea events around that time every night.

Since you're new to using CPAP, 11.6 cm probably feels like a lot of air whooshing by your face. With time, you probably will sleep right through this when it happens, but for now, if it feels uncomfortable, I would cycle the power button just like you're doing.

One more thing, though - do you know what your EPR setting is? That's expiratory pressure relief, and it's a comfort setting to make it easier for you to exhale against pressure.

The setting can be 0, 1, 2, or 3. Three gives the most "relief" while exhaling against pressure. If your EPR is set to 0 or 1, you might try increasing it to 2 or 3.

Welcome to Apnea Board.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the Apnea Board!

Your CPAP pressure in your profile (4-11) does not match up with your message, can you please update it?

4 as a starting pressure seems low to me, especially if you are ending up over 11. I feel starved for air at 4. I have noticed that I wake up more at an rapid increase in pressure rather than the pressure itself, e.g going from 10 to 13 rapidly wakes me up, but getting there gradually does not. Starting at a high minimum pressure may (a) avoid the problems to begin with and (b) at least result is less different in pressure.

The best way to monitor and evaluate is with the SleepyHead software, see the link at the top of the page.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the advice. I checked out the events in Sleepyhead Software and shows that the increase in pressure was immediately after a 30 sec Obstructive Apnea.

Cycling down the S10 and restarting it makes the mosts sense as I cannot wait for 20 minutes for the machine to sense I am no longer in Apnea. At least I still have a chance of nodding off back to sleep if I do this instinctively.

Chill suggested I increase my base pressure from 4 (which I did a few days ago to 6) to now maybe 7 or 8. That will decrease the jump from lower pressure to higher pressure on an apnea event, so I will try that.

A call to Resmed confirmed that it can take the S10 up to 20 minutes to back off the pressure

As I said, my MyAir scores are often at 96 - 98 out of 100 and I feel quite rested relative to my restfulness prior to starting about 38 days ago. Just that wakeup at 4.30am is a nuisance!
Post Reply Post Reply
Being able to see actual facts from SleepyHead will make this so much less mysterious. Not to nag on that... Big Grin

It is common for people to have more events during REM sleep, that might explain what you are experiencing.
Post Reply Post Reply
marco7722,
Do you know what your 90% pressure readings are? Is it possible you can lower your max pressure setting? This way, you may not be awakened by a higher pressure. If you are able to narrow your pressure range, you would not notice such large bumps in pressure, especially if not needed.

Ideally, your range should be 2cm below the 90% number and 1 or 2 above. Start to watch these numbers on Sleepyhead.

Also, the APAP's generally don't raise pressure right away, it tends to wait until after the event and raise pressure and keep it there awhile to ward off more apnea events. And don't forget that the pressure will also rise due to snores and flow limitations. Something else to look at on SleepyHead.

I know that some are sensitive to pressure changes, but I believe there will come a point when you won't even notice that pressure of 11 or 12, and hopefully it won't wake you. Smile

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose and others ...

My 90% pressure is 9.7 - 10 for the past 30 days so based on that I can adjust my Min and Max Pressures to say Min 8 and Max 11. I will see how I go.

I have also been taping my mouth shut using a single strip of micropore tape and at the same time started wearing a Philips Dreamwear Nasal Mask. Using that combo, I got 2 nights AHI scores to 2.8 and 3.8 respectively.

I know it will be a process of tweaking over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
Were you able to resolve this issue? If so, what worked? I'm 3 nights into my cpap therapy with my ResMed AirSense 10, and it also wakes me when it seems to get "stuck" at 12.5 once or twice a night. I don't know very much about this, but when the screen shows my pressure, it starts out at 4. The range it displays in the corner is 6-16. I have tried to make adjustments based on another thread here, but I can not figure out how to do so; (Will bust out the manuals tonight, as this issue is very annoying.) Also, I am still in my rental period with my Anthem insurance. Will making adjustments against my prescription range cause them to not buy the machine???
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 53 Yesterday, 01:27 PM
Last Post: xaid
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 69 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,325 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 409 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 240 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 23 545 03-13-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 172 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.