Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleep doc only wants CPAP, not APAP
RE: Sleep doc only wants CPAP, not APAP
For those interested in how sleep technologists recommend an optimal or other fixed pressure, click on this link:

http://www.aasmnet.org/Resources/clinica...040210.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleep doc only wants CPAP, not APAP
(06-04-2015, 11:31 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Payton, the pressure reduction in EPAP allows more air to be exhaled by some people than exhalation against pressure. The tidal volume can be influenced by setting the pressure support. In fact, if set too high it can induce centrals by purging too much CO2. This link explains how tidal volume can be targeted by pressure support: http://www.healthcare.philips.com/main/h.../setup.wpd Bilevel therapy is commonly used in COPD, chronic obstructive, asthma, and other patients to improve volume and ease breathing, but the same principles apply to pretty much anyone. In my own case, my tidal volume on APAP at 11-14 averages in the mid to upper 540 to 610 mL range. With BiPAP Min EPAP 8.0 Max IPAP 18.0 PS 5.0-8.0 (cmH2O), the tidal volume average 630 to 680.

Maybe this is just my misunderstanding but this link points to setup for a BiPAP AVAPS not a simple BiPAP or BiPAP auto. Different animal entirely.

Your comparison of tidal volume with more pressure relief on exhalation has more potentially changed than just the pressure support.

(06-04-2015, 11:31 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You can pretty accurately target tidal volume with BiPAP settings and have much more influence on overall blood oxygen levels than with CPAP. Keep in mind, the use of EPR and Flex, there is a low level of pressure support in many CPAP and APAP machines, but if ventilation (oxygenation) is a concern, most doctors will turn to Bilevel.

Tidal volume is not the only driving force for oxygenation.

It seems to be common (at least I have noticed it with the Resmed folk) to call their ASV or ST or AVAPS machines bilevel machines. They are all bilevel but they are somewhat more than a simple VPAP S or VPAP Auto machine. I am afraid that it can be confusing to some including me. I think that, if we are talking about a bilevel machine with a backup rate, we should make that clear.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 6 188 03-23-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Needing help fixing my sleep with cpap nunogarcia 2 162 03-22-2024, 09:04 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 89 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 166 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 440 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.