Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed ClimateLine hose 'retains water'
Resmed ClimateLine hose 'retains water'
I recently got a new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset (to replace my 'poisoned' Dreamstation). It came with Resmed ClimateLine tubing. Every morning I rinse out the tubing and mask, and hang them up to dry, but at the end of the day there is still water in the tubing. When I go to assemble it back together, and remove the tubing from where I left it to dry, about an ounce (half an ounce?) of water falls out of the end with the 90° elbow that attaches to the machine. I slap the open end on my palm, and more water comes out. I'd prefer to start the night with the tube dry.

The Dreamstation tubing (also heated) had straight connectors at each end, which I assume is why it dried every day.

Anyone else see this?
What can I do to make sure the thing dries out completely during the day?
[Image: DBS5FLN.jpg]
Resmed ClimateLine Tubing
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed ClimateLine hose 'retains water'
When I've washed my hose it didn't have moisture in it like yours. Maybe don't wash them, seriously. The hose is an airway that will also carry the bit of moisture the humidifier supplies. But how dirty will it get doing that?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
" Maybe don't wash "
I've always thought that the recommended cleaning period on hoses is for a worst case scenario. If someone was to practice clean-hand techniques when handling the humidifier and only using distilled water in it, the hose should be able to go on extended use. The mask and the vent elbow is a different story of course.
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't have to wash it every day. If you're a clean freak, maybe once a week. Otherwise, some people don't ever wash it. I mean, any germs on it are already in you.

But that's probably not helping.

Anyway, what I do when I wake up is... remove the elbow from my mask and quietly get out of the room to avoid waking the wife and little devil. Later in the morning, I will empty the humidifier chamber and run a towel inside it to dry it as much as possible. I then stick the chamber back in, start the machine and immediately shut it off again. The machine will automatically go into cooling down mode (as it assumes the humidifier chamber is hot after a run) and it will gently blow air through the hose for 20 minutes. Since the chamber is dry, the hose will be too because of this. This keeps grunk build up to a very very bare minimum.
Post Reply Post Reply
Seriously, you don't need to wash that hose every day.  I try to wash it once a month at the most.  Sometimes not even that!

If you are insistent on washing it that much... after a good rinse, take it in the shower or preferably outside and twirl it around and shake it out before hanging it to dry.  

Also, it helps if you have an extra hose on hand to switch out so you always have a dry one.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that rinsing or washing every day is way over kill. But at whatever frequency that works for you, I would suggest doing the hand slap BEFORE hanging the tube up to dry. If you remove as much excess water you can upfront, it will have a better chance of drying completely when it's hanging.
Post Reply Post Reply
I too, agree with what's being said. I clean my CPAP hose once or maybe twice a month. Once done, I hang it up to dry and never have any remaining water issues with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh an alternate hose drying method, hook the hose to your PAP without mask and run it for a minute or two.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a quick random thought - To expand on Dave's idea, perhaps use the backup machine to do the drying duties so that you don't inadvertently affect the Oscar data.
Post Reply Post Reply

1. Washing the hose everyday is excessive. But do what your comfortable with, accept that all the extra scrubbing, disconnecting, reconnecting is going wear out your equipment and connection points a lot sooner.

2. Remove excess water by swinging hose around, then use the AirSense 10 Maskfit option to blow dry it. AirSense 11 users can also use the test drive feature.

3. A few drops in the hose is nothing to be concerned about.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 97 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 93 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,816 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,376 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 185 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  Cannot get water chamber flush with machine, making awful sound like a vacuum kc90 2 210 02-07-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.