Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Climateline tubing smell
Resmed Climateline tubing smell
I just got my Resmed Airesense 10 Elite delivered…the climate line tubing smelled like pesticide and smelled so toxic that I called the company and told them I could not use the tubing and to send me regular standard tubing, then I called Resmed to report the product catalog number and lot number to report the danger after reading the posts of many others who smelled a horrible odor like myself. I looked at the packaging and saw that the tubing came from Singapore and was manufactured for Resmed who distributed it out ofSan Diego…

I believe the odor tells a story of toxicity and that the company had better get to the root of this toxic chemical smell as I believe it could cause leukemia or lung cancer as air is pumped thru possibly toxic waste into people's lungs for hours every night…This is the kind of thing that goes on in our world when companies are not having to regular the components that are NOT considered 'medical devices!'…
The tube is probably NOT considered a medical device so the manufacturer probably has none looking at the manufacturing plant to make sure the components of this tubing are safe for humans or any living thing to use.

I do not know if all lots of the tubing are toxic but the smell of the one that was delivered to me smelled like insecticide, pesticide, something I certainly will not permit to be pumped into my lungs. With so many online users reporting the same smell and being advised to rinse their tubing in vinegar, I am sorry, but that doesn't sound sufficient to me to guarantee the safety of this tubing. Resmed had better do some toxicological testing. I assume we will never hear if they do as it will open up class action lawsuits if persons start talking who have become ill, either with lung disease or leukemias and all talk together on this forum and maybe realize they are sharing a similar story… I hope Resmed does a proper investigation of that Singapore plant that is manufacturing their Climateline hoses.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Climateline tubing smell
Most new equipment, including non-heated hoses have some odor of the new plastics. It goes away in a few days and can be reduced by rinsing it first. I have had a couple Climateline hoses and they don't bother me. No leukemia or lung cancer yet I'm glad to say. You might be considered over-sensitive, or hysterical if you don't tone down your complaint from "my life is in imminent danger", to I'm uncomfortable with the smell. Good luck.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi wenfroed,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I haven't noticed any odd smells with my ClimateLine hoses over the years I have used them. Maybe if you soak your hose in mild, warm, soapy water
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have an odor from plastic, it is because it didn't go through the proper bath to remove the mold release. All plastics are molded in one form or another and require a release to be applied to those molds or the stuff would stay stuck in the mold. Mold releases for things like tubes have to be food safe. A simple washing removes that.

My tubing has never had an odor other than 'new plastic smell.' I'm sure by your age, you know the difference. So, reporting it was reasonable. However, the chances that it was going to negatively impact your health are pretty small once you washed it as food safe mold releases rinse pretty easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
Anyone else use Resmed Climateline (heated) tubing with their CPAP? I have had two deliveries of tubing that reeked right out of the box and sealed package. On advice from my supplier I spent hours washing the tubing with soap and water and then cleaning with a vinegar solution. The odor has not dissipated and I don't think it is safe to breath that all night long. Resmed does not seem to care. Anyone have this issue and found a solution?

I have NEVER had this problem before. CPAP user ~ 7 years.
Post Reply Post Reply
Never had a problem with any ResMed hose.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Mine smelt new plastic the first night nothing to worry about if your sensitive to the smell wash in white vinegar then rinse and allow to dry
Post Reply Post Reply
See my post. Have done, with soap and water and then with vinegar solution. Dried 3 days. Odor just as strong. Concerned about inhaling whatever causes the odor. That cannot be healthy. Again, long time CPAP user. Have not had this issue before.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have not noticed any chemical or other "off" odor while using my ClimateLine heated hose. Mine are sealed bags noted as made in Singapore and supplied by my Apria DME.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely has a smell the first night or two that quickly goes away. I don't think the residual odor is hazardous, but it may be more irritating to some individuals. Most plastics have a new odor but it will dissipate with use.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,807 4 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,811 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Solvent smell coming from new Airsense 11 ducknoir 22 7,224 03-06-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: Teddyg
  Using cleaning brushes in heated tubing TiredTom111 9 607 01-29-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  ResMed AirSense 11 + ClimateLine 11 Heated Tubing + Oxygen YankeeLaker 2 357 01-22-2024, 08:17 PM
Last Post: YankeeLaker
  Mold issue / cleaning CPAP (the unit, not tubing), Resmed S9 NightOwl42 9 757 01-19-2024, 11:29 PM
Last Post: NightOwl42
  Oxyair tubing for Resmed AS11? CactusJack2 2 392 12-25-2023, 05:44 PM
Last Post: CactusJack2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.