Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed Escape Auto VS Autoset and headgear sizing
Resmed Escape Auto VS Autoset and headgear sizing
Just came home 2 days ago with my first machine. First night I had a nasel mask, not a good choice for a mouth breather! Second night I had a Quattro full face mask - much better. Being new to this I have a few questions and I am not sure I should press the DME or not. First let me say my insurance will pay for just about any machine.

I am on APAP and was given the Resmed Escape Auto. I inquired about the Autoset because I really would like to know th efficiancy but they have told me I don't need it. Do I? And if I do, should I get my Dr involved and have him tell them to give me the Autoset? (I know he would do this if I asked and gave good reasons why.)

Also, for some reason they gave me a medium sized headgear which I know is too big and will call them Monday to send me the small. But is there any difference in the female sizing to the regular? The DME has told me they do not order any Resmed female items because they are the same as the regular small sizing and it's only for marketing. Is this true? Even if it is I really would have liked the pink stuff in my room. Not so clinical looking you know?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to another great night of sleep!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed Escape Auto VS Autoset and headgear sizing
take the machine back and demand the autoset
you don,t want to be stuck with this machine for the next 5 years
yes get the doc involved and ask for the prescription to specify S9 AutoSet and DISPENSE as WRITTEN
you and your doc need efficacy data
breakdown of AHI and leak data which is important to know as leak above a certain point compromise the therapy
take no for an answer ... the escape auto lack many features
see the S9 specification for comparison between different models
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

Edit: don,t think there is any difference between his and her
but they should get pink if you so desired
also note there pink S9 AutoSet for her
tell them if they don,t comply with your request ... you,ll take your business elsewhere
they,re looking after their own interest (not yours) to make more money by giving you cheaper machine
even the insurance pay the same amount for either machine
you can choose any DME from the insurance approved list of suppliers

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2013, 06:09 PM)Spiker Wrote: I inquired about the Autoset because I really would like to know th efficiancy but they have told me I don't need it. Do I? And if I do, should I get my Dr involved and have him tell them to give me the Autoset? (I know he would do this if I asked and gave good reasons why.)

Hi Spiker! Welcome

If you're serious about your health and would like to keep track of your progress then by all means, yes, ask your doctor to change your prescription to a S9 AutoSet and be sure he writes "dispense as written".

The Escape series is what we refer to as a "brick" since it doesn't record any data for anyone to review except for usage hours (compliance), you'll never know what's going-on regarding leaks or Central Apnea's or any of the relevant data that would indicate efficacy or a lack of it.

Get this changed ASAP, the DME makes more money by giving you a brick instead of a data capable AutoSet, they get paid the same amount of money for either machine, by forcing you into a low-end Escape they've made a few hundred dollars of extra profit, they will say anything to make you keep the Escape Auto, don't back-down, they may try to bully you, don't let them.

When you get your AutoSet you'll need to download ResScan or SleepyHead software so you can follow your own progress.

Your DME may be correct about the headgear sizing, I'm not certain, maybe some of the ladies will chime-in, at the very least you can tell them to give you a small "Pink" headgear for your Mirage Quattro, it should cost the same as a medium blue (standard) headgear.

Keep us informed, we're here for you!

Sleep-well

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
Will they take it back? I know the CPAP is a rental for awhile but the humidifier is a purchase. Of course the humidifier will work with either the Autoset or Escape but it's not pink. (Please forgive the pink rant. Normally I am anti-girlie but for some reason this time I'm not.)
Post Reply Post Reply
I,m not familiar with the insurance rental thing
more informed members would chime in

Choices for Her
[Image: thumbnail.jpg]
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/choice...c=patients
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2013, 07:24 PM)Spiker Wrote: Will they take it back? I know the CPAP is a rental for awhile but the humidifier is a purchase. Of course the humidifier will work with either the Autoset or Escape but it's not pink. (Please forgive the pink rant. Normally I am anti-girlie but for some reason this time I'm not.)

If it's pink you want then YOU are the customer and you call the shot's, not the DME, tell them to order you the pink headgear in a size Small and be as girlie as you want to be, I like the camouflage headgear myself.

I don't currently have insurance but, it's my understanding that some insurance companies pay a rental fee that gets applied to the purchase price of the equipment after you've proven usage compliance, regardless, the insurance code is the same for either the AutoSet and the Escape Auto, the DME just makes a lot more profit on the Escape.

All you need to tell your doctor is that YOU want to be able to see YOUR sleep data (and he should too), you cannot do that with the non-data-recording Escape Auto that your DME pushed onto you.

Many people on this forum have done exactly what we told you to do, now they have the better machine and you can too, it shouldn't cost you anything, if they say it cost's more money then tell them their insurance code is the same for either machine and they're already being paid for it.

If you're wanting the pink "AutoSet for Her", I don't know if there's an extra charge for that or not, one of the ladies that has one should be able to tell you.

Be firm, they work for YOU!

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, take it back. While the Escape Auto is an autoPAP, it is a stupid one. I don't think it collects any data other than compliance which is stupid for an autoPAP. If I recall correctly, you can't even change the pressure settings.

If it is a rental, then yes, you can trade it in. Tell them you want the regular Autoset. If they balk, tell them they'll be hearing from your physician. Suppliers (DMEs) are paid the same amount no matter then device (in terms of autoPAPs and CPAPs) so they want you to take the cheapest model so they get the biggest profit. I'm betting your doc wrote the script for an autoPAP and they gave you the cheapest one.

As for the "her" vs "regular", in some things, yes, it is different. Women statistically have smaller noses, faces, etc so they made them to fit that profile.

But again, it doesn't matter if it is marketing or not. If you want it, you should get it. If it will match you and your face, they shouldn't deny you the chance to try it.

Oh, and ResMed makes "skins" (covers) for the machines. Just Google Resmed S9 skins.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had the exact same problem (except the pink part) with the only DME in my area. Even after having my Doc write the scrip specifically stating it was for an AutoSet, they gave me the runaround and just would not work with me, so I called my Insurance company and they agreed to let me buy my machine and supplies out of pocket from on-line suppliers and then e-mail them scans of my reciepts along with the standard claim form with codes (available from many on-line suppliers) and they reimburse me directly. I don't know how many Insurance companies will agree to do this, but mine does. Just like you the Escape Auto was a rental and the H5i was direct purchase so I had to keep the humidifier, but since I didn't have any plans on get a pink AutoSet it was no biggy. You should have seen how they acted when I took that brick back and explained to them how I didn't appreciate being jerked around and cheated (in front of a couple other customers too). They even had the nerve to try to make me sign a form saying I was refusing medical treatment - I can't repeat what I said to them about that because children might read this post. Anyway; as the others said, don't cheat yourself by letting them convince you to keep that Escape.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank-you for all the support! I am not too good at being assertive but you all are giving me the courage.

I had no idea they made skins that would solve that problem. After only 3 nights on this I can't believe just how much better I feel!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just checked out those skins. That is awesome. Better than girlie pink - I can make it me. I love it. Thanks Paula02
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 455 17 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 116 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 474 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,333 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 216 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
  Dreamwear frame sizing ahuman 3 295 02-23-2024, 05:21 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,242 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.