Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed F20
Resmed F20
Switched from Resmed F10 to F20 (silicone) to accomodate both my standard resmed and my resmed mini.  The swivel connection on the first f20 mask constantly emitted an air flow ... considerable amount not just breath out - constant.  I have used for 6 months with no issues ... AHI of less than 1.0.  I have replaced the first mask. The second mask included the head gear, mask and new swivel.  The new swivel does not emit the constant air flow... air flow almost not discernable at all.   I understand the need for the two flap valves to vent if the unit were to shut down due to failure.  I use the reduced pressure exhale assist feature but cannot discern any difference on exhale. My question is which swivel operation is the correct one ... constant air flow or very minimal airflow ?  Or does it matter?
It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. --Confucius
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed F20
It may be I'm too dense to understand your question, but it seems you're asking about maybe the differences between the elbows you have.

A few months ago, ResMed updated that elbow with modifications to exhaust vent patterns and got it to be quieter as well. It's called QuietAir elbow. It is now standard and the old edition should not show up on new masks, etc.

Does that help address your question? Coffee

BTW the 2 flaps thing is an anti-asphyxiation valve on full face masks so you can still breathe with the mask on if the machine turns off like during power outages.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
edit: erased by SD94. I somehow double posted...oopsie
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thank you answered my question.  My original F20 mask must have had the old swivel elbow and vented a lot of air.  The new one does not vent very much air.  Yes I understand the flapper valves function.  Jus was not sure what the major difference in vented air flow between what looks like identical elbows/swivels.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at switching to the F20 with my new REsMed machine. USed one for my sleep study and was quite happy with it. They gave it to me to bring home, so now my wife is using it and she loves it. She is going to switch to it also.

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW Ed1101 below is a link to my review of QuietAir elbow. It has images that may compare old vs new. Take a look if you'd like.

QuietAir Elbow
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the quiet ebow and comparing with the two elbows I have I cannot see any difference.  Perhaps the first one I got was defective ... as it looks identical but blows air constantly ... and substantially whereas the new one does not blow air to and degree at all.  Like night and day?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2018, 12:50 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: Looking at the quiet ebow and comparing with the two elbows I have I cannot see any difference.  Perhaps the first one I got was defective ... as it looks identical but blows air constantly ... and substantially whereas the new one does not blow air to and degree at all.  Like night and day?

One should have a white plastic ring around it that defuses the air coming out of the vent holes. If they both have that than maybe your right about one being defective.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-28-2018, 02:03 PM)Walla Walla Wrote:
(11-28-2018, 12:50 PM)Ed1101 Wrote: Looking at the quiet ebow and comparing with the two elbows I have I cannot see any difference.  Perhaps the first one I got was defective ... as it looks identical but blows air constantly ... and substantially whereas the new one does not blow air to and degree at all.  Like night and day?

One should have a white plastic ring around it that defuses the air coming out of the vent holes. If they both have that than maybe your right about one being defective.

Correct Walla Walla.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.