Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed F30 leaks
Resmed F30 leaks
This mask has worked great for me until the last month, due to leaks. The issue has to do with where the cushion attaches to the frame. I've always found this design to be difficult; now, I'll attach the cushion to the frame and it will seal, but after thirty minutes or so, it will slightly disengage, and cause a leak which causes a big jump in pressure. This wakes me up. 

I just ordered new headgear but the headgear that I'm using is only a few months old; the cushion is brand new. 

This design makes the cushion really hard to disengage for cleaning, and then re-engage. I've managed it for about two years; it's just not possible now. 

Anyone else have this problem and a solution?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed F30 leaks
I use an AirFit F30, and I do agree, it can be tough to remove the cushion from the mask. The same goes for the reverse. 

It's not nearly as bad now as it was when both were new. I tend to manhandle things when they don't cooperate with me fully. I'm not afraid to add some muscle when needed. 

Don't know if I have a solution or not, other than what I mentioned above. I cleaned my headgear, mask, and cushion just today. Removed the cushion from the mask prior to soaking it all. No problems taking the cushion off or putting it back on.  Cool

Just gotta show it who's the boss..............
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Big Guy; the issue isn't with removing the cushion for cleaning; I can do that. The problem is that now I can't re-attach the cushion so that it stays attached to the frame for any length of time. I'll get that satisfying 'click' when the cushion has sealed to the frame, and it will be solid; but after thirty minutes or so while under pressure, or if I roll to my side I suppose, the cushion will barely disengage and cause a leak at the point of that seal--NOT anywhere where the mask is sealed to my face. The connection to the frame fails. Over and over. It will be solid--and then fail.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have that mask and have never separated it from the frame. Just wash them together removing the straps.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2021, 07:37 PM)hegel Wrote: Thanks Big Guy; the issue isn't with removing the cushion for cleaning; I can do that. The problem is that now I can't re-attach the cushion so that it stays attached to the frame for any length of time. I'll get that satisfying 'click' when the cushion has sealed to the frame, and it will be solid; but after thirty minutes or so while under pressure, or if I roll to my side I suppose, the cushion will barely disengage and cause a leak at the point of that seal--NOT anywhere where the mask is sealed to my face. The connection to the frame fails. Over and over. It will be solid--and then fail.

Someone mentioned something about taking the cushion or pillow, whatever you prefer to call it, and rotate it a few degrees, I think counter-clockwise, before trying to attach it to the mask itself. 

But.....I do know what you are talking about! I've experienced the same issue. Once properly attached, it will not come loose or off. 

I took a real good look at the mask and the cushion, to see if there was anything to indicate proper alignment. I couldn't tell myself. 

I tend to listen for the loudness of the snap or click, once it's properly attached. Keep at it, you'll get the hang of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stacey, that's what I'll do from now on if I can get the new headgear to work again with the cushion!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the F30 for three years. I have good luck removing the cushion by holding the frame in my left hand (with the cushion facing me) and twisting the cushion with my right hand counterclockwise 1/8 of a turn. The cushion pops off the frame. To reinstall just reverse the process. Position  the cushion so it only needs 1/8 of a turn clockwise while pushing the cushion slightly against the frame. It should snap and lock into place easily. Pretty sure I saw this described in the F30 instructions years ago but can no longer find them. And then again, maybe I have just been lucky!
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a screenshot of the PDF that may help

[attachment=33221]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can't get the F30 cushion to stay well-connected to the mask.

I hadn't thought to twist it!
Post Reply Post Reply
I find that the cushion will click in and appear solid but really isn't. I have to look around the edge where the cushion meets the frame and make sure there is no small gap anywhere, which can happen if the cushion is slightly turned with respect to the frame. When that happens, I take it apart (easy because the connection is weak) and try again.

I find the F30 is easier to work with than the F20. I was trying to change the cushion for my wife's F20 last night and could not get the old cushion out. I had to use her spare headgear and mask instead.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 281 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 159 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 106 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 759 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.