Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

I'm unconvinced
RE: I'm unconvinced
It's worth it.

You will eventually agree with that statement. :-) It'll take a lot of tweaking and getting used to, but it's worth it.

You're starting off right - you're here asking questions. There isn't a better place to get support on your new reality then right here. Sometime in the near future, you're going to have that first night where you sleep perfectly and start to see the benefits. You might take some time to get to the second such night... but it will come. And they get more and more frequent.

I've been on CPAP for about 8 years now, and I can't even think about *not* using it. I also use an external sleep monitor that gives me a daily indication of the quality of my sleep. Even on nights when I don't think I slept well... the evidence often shows that I did. I've learned to make quick adjustments to my mask seal even in my sleep, to the point that I barely notice when I do it.

Your equipment, in my opinion, is the best - there isn't a better machine than an S10 Autoset, and of any mask I've tried, I like the N20 is my favourite - though I want to try the new n30. :-) Both the machine and the mask are among the most quiet. If you find that the machine noise bothers you, there are a couple things you can try - place your machine so that it's below the level of the surface of the mattress. It's less audible when it's lower than your ear. Another thing... I use a white noise generator that's just loud enough to "level off" the sound. When you're not hearing the breathing rhythm, it seems to help.

I've also always been a side/stomach sleeper... but now I'm just as comfortable on my back. I think the fact that I can actually sleep on my back and breathe at the same time makes the difference. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again for all of the encouragement and honest support. The process continues to be deeply unnerving and perplexing, but I read all of your caring and knowledgeable comments as these new realities continue to percolate...
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-09-2018, 05:08 AM)Lolagirl Wrote: I’m struggling and have been using mine for about 2 weeks. I told myself that it would require time and a lot of patience. It has been not pleasant. Mostly because I’m a lifelong stomach sleeper and I find the whole set up uncomfortable. Emotionally it’s a difficult thing to accept. Add feeling exhausted because you can’t sleep with this thing and it’s a triple whammy.  I’m going to persevere to see if it will help and for my health.

Dunno if you were told this, but you can continue sleeping on your stomach with cpap, check the dreamwear series from philips. I use nasal and i sleep on my stomach, i even have a pillow with a hole.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2018, 12:09 AM)Lynnbreathing Wrote: Thanks again for all of the encouragement and honest support. The process continues to be deeply unnerving and perplexing, but I read all of your caring and knowledgeable comments as these new realities continue to percolate...

Everything you need to know is in the phrases in my signature line.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a side sleeper, and have been all my life.

I have developed the techniques required to roll from side to side with the mask and hose with minimal disturbance to my sleep.
As I'm often in pain with my shoulders I tend to rotate often during the night, and I hate sleeping on my back ( so I very rarely do that ), but I cope well most nights. 

You will get it all fine tuned to suit your needs in the end as well. 

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
You are an amazing group of people.

You help so much.

A friend at work was just diagnosed. He's about 70 now....He stopped breathing 103 times an hour in his sleep study.
I'm more fortunate. I am 72; I was diagnosed about 30 years ago, with 42 times an hour. I've missed one night in all that time; I couldn't get a room, and sat up all night travelling from Newfoundland to Cape Breton Island on a ferry, in a north Atlantic storm. No I wasn't sick. Everyone else was.

I believe I'm much more healthy now than he is....thinking about low oxygen levels. thinking about cognitive ability. thinking about organs being exposed to low oxygen levels during sleep time.

First time I wore my"Breeze" nasal pillows mask was midday, the day I got my first gear. I crashed. I slept about 2-1/2 hours mid day, and the phone rang. I was in deep, deep sleep. I remember feeling better than I had in many years. I remembered that feeling every time I was discouraged. Every time I had trouble. Sleep quality is precious.

This isn't about me; it's about you who are starting out. I'm only telling you what gave me hope along the way, and hope that you will have your own good memories/experiences that give you hope on tough days too. Being compliant isn't easy, but it's worth it.

DaveL
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.