Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Newbie with lots of random questions
RE: Newbie with lots of random questions
I had a follow-up appointment yesterday and in regards to my asthma question, they asked if my asthma was triggered by cold, which it is. I have a heated humidifier, but apparently the air cools down as it travels through the tubing. I didn't even consider the flow of cool air as a possible trigger. They gave me heated tubing to try. I tried it last night and woke up this morning feeling great. No wheezing or lung irritation. So that is great. All in all this has been a much smoother start than I anticipated and I'm already feeling more rested in the morning and alert during the day. The mask is making my nose a bit sore right at the corners, so I might try another one when I meet with them again next week.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think ozonated water is a great idea. Ozone is a purification method, but the gas is a respiratory irritant. Use tap water,or distilled, and you will be fine.

With asthma, you may feel more resistance in breathing, and the aexhale Pressure Relief feature on your machine is gong to make breathing easier and more comfortable. Once you post a chart, we will be able to see if EPR is on. I really recommend you try it at a setting of 2. Your AHI is excellent for just starting. It would really help to know what median and 90% pressure it is delivering. This information is available in sleepyhead and on screen by switching Essentials from On to Plus in the clinical settings.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2018, 03:43 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: It would really help to know what median and 90% pressure it is delivering. This information is available in sleepyhead and on screen by switching Essentials from On to Plus in the clinical settings.

The EPR is set to 3. I can't find median pressure, but the mean pressure is 7.36, 90% pressure is 10.40. (Post edited because the numbers I posted initially turned out to be just for one night.)
Post Reply Post Reply
That is excellent information. With EPR at 3, your starting pressure is 5/4 inhale/exhale. The inhale pressure has to increase to 7.0before the exhale pressure even begins to respond. If your starting pressure was changed to 7.0, then starting pressure will be 7/4 which isn't much different, but the machine will be instantly more responsive, and you will get consistent EPR. I think that will work out better. Whoever setup your machine gave you the maximum EPR, and I think that makes a positive difference for you, considering your description of the sleep study. If you want to try a minimum pressure of 7.0 I think that will probably be close to optimal. Please be sure you get a Resmed machine after the loaner. Philips does not provide EPR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think I may try turning off the ramp feature as well. I find that the machine always increases the pressure just as I'm dozing off, which wakes me up. Maybe I'll get used to it with time, but at the moment I'd say it takes me two or three hours to actually fall soundly asleep versus just dozing and tossing and turning and waking up. Once I'm asleep though, I'm fine. If I wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, it doesn't seem to go into the ramp feature and I'm able to go right back to sleep. I think maybe if I turned the ramp feature off, or turned the pressure up as you said, I'd fall asleep more easily without having it suddenly adjusting as I doze off. But I have three more follow up appointments with them, so I'm going to wait and see what they advise before doing anything with the settings I'm not supposed to touch (the ramp I can turn off myself since it's in the normal menu). So far I have been extremely happy with the care I've received. Seems a stark contrast to so much of what I am reading here! I'm going to tell them I want this exact machine when I (hopefully) get insurance approval.
Post Reply Post Reply
They will likely come to the same conclusion on pressure. No problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
What AHI do people aim for? They told me under 5, and based on the five nights so far, my AHI is 0.6. (Mind you, the first night was 0.0 because I didn’t sleep at all.)
Post Reply Post Reply
Not sleeping doesn't count. We aim for comfort and good sleep. AHI less than 2 is fine, and many people find that a more comfortable goal than 2. AHI of 5 is unsatisfactory. It can take some time to feel the benefits.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
I wish there was a way to exclude the time I’m not sleeping from the equation. I think this week might be pretty skewed as I’m getting used to things. It’ll be interesting to how my AHI changes as I sleep more.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2018, 05:05 PM)JenWith1N Wrote: I think I may try turning off the ramp feature as well. I find that the machine always increases the pressure just as I'm dozing off, which wakes me up. Maybe I'll get used to it with time, but at the moment I'd say it takes me two or three hours to actually fall soundly asleep versus just dozing and tossing and turning and waking up. Once I'm asleep though, I'm fine. If I wake up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, it doesn't seem to go into the ramp feature and I'm able to go right back to sleep. I think maybe if I turned the ramp feature off, or turned the pressure up as you said, I'd fall asleep more easily without having it suddenly adjusting as I doze off. But I have three more follow up appointments with them, so I'm going to wait and see what they advise before doing anything with the settings I'm not supposed to touch (the ramp I can turn off myself since it's in the normal menu). So far I have been extremely happy with the care I've received. Seems a stark contrast to so much of what I am reading here! I'm going to tell them I want this exact machine when I (hopefully) get insurance approval.

Glad to hear you're being taken care of as deserved. Keep up on great progress. For me, Ramp was an evil thing that was tried 1 night then I turned it OFF permanently. And FWIW when someone would tell me "settings I'm not supposed to touch", guaranteed I will IF it benefits my therapy. But I only have done so with knowledge, either from what I myself possess or members here on AB have imparted. Soon enough, even with the excellent support you have at this time, you will know lots more about your own therapy than they likely ever will. Best to near and lasting success.

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPR questions juniper 7 220 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to all. Have lots of ?? DudleyDoRight 7 192 Yesterday, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 383 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 179 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 113 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 191 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 156 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.