Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed N30 Cushion
Question 
Resmed N30 Cushion
I got the Resmed N30 mask.  On some of the sales sites it refers to replacing the resmed n30 cushion every 2 weeks. Its this really necessary or is this just a tactic for the sales companies to keep a constant revenue stream flowing? I've been using my mask now for about 2 months and I can't say I notice any issues but then again I'm new to this. I just got my CPAP in March.

Please share your thoughts...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed N30 Cushion
As with any of these cushions, YMMV, but 2 weeks is likely a revenue stream as you say. Replace if they become damaged or develop abnormal leaks that it didn't have previously.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't replace my F&P Eson nose mask in the four years I've been on CPAP, and wasn't even all that diligent with cleaning it.. just mild soap and lukewarm water when it started to feel a bit grungy. 

And if it weren't for the fact I've started relaxing my jaw more than I used to when asleep, and air escapes through my mouth, I would still be using it (there is a brand new spare complete mask in my wardrobe though).

But now I've switched to an AirFit F20 full face mask the spare nose mask will be obsolete for my needs.

I am also only randomly cleaning the new mask as well, silicone masks seem to last well if you don't handle them roughly.
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
If you pay out of pocket, you can continue using the cushion until it breaks, just clean it with mild soapy water once or twice a week. 

(07-08-2020, 10:29 PM)Ockrocket Wrote: I didn't replace my F&P Eson nose mask in the four years I've been on CPAP,

I'm surprised it lasted you that long, my cushions usually break after 6-9 months of use. My skin discharge must be toxic or something.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are on Medicare you can get a free cushion every 6 months and a complete mask and head gear each year. They will ask why you want a complete new mask. I tell them mask leaks and headgear has stretched. Mine has never “worn out” before the 6 months.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you all... very very helpful! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2020, 12:12 PM)staceyburke Wrote: If you are on Medicare you can get a free cushion every 6 months and a complete mask and head gear each year. They will ask why you want a complete new mask. I tell them mask leaks and headgear has stretched. Mine has never “worn out” before the 6 months.

I just asked my DME about the Medicare schedule for replacement supplies within the last few weeks.  FWIW, here is the reply:

Supplies schedule:
  every 6m - everything: Full mask w/ headgear, water chamber, hose
  every 3m: hose
  every 1m; mask cushion, filters

Hope this helps.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
I work for a DME so I am familiar with the replacement schedule, which is as follows:

The official Medicare replacement schedule (which is followed by most private insurances) is:
Every 30 days - 2 disposable filters, 2 nasal cushions or pillows, OR 1 full-face cushion
Every 90 days - tubing (either heated or not - there is a separate billing code for heated and if it is not prescribed it won't be dispensed) and a mask frame
Every 180 days - headgear, water chamber, chinstrap, reusable filter

The official Medicaid schedule is:

Every 30 days - 1 or 2 disposable filters (depending on how the Certificate of Medical Necessity is filled out)
Every 60 days - 1 complete mask (cushion/pillow, frame, headgear), water chamber, tubing

Some states allow new heated tubing every 90 or 180 days - in Colorado where I live it can be 60 if the Certificate of Medical Necessity is filled out that way

I realize that with proper care the parts do last longer than the schedule allows, but I also know that not everybody takes care of everything equally, and the schedule is designed to at least make sure that the 'do nots' get fresh parts regularly. I also deal with some elderly folks who struggle with skin breakdown issues, and for them changing things regularly can really help with that.

I tell the people that I take care of that I believe in changing filters, cushions/pillows, and headgear regularly. The rest of it, if it isn't in bad condition, don't worry about it. I figure, if there's no out of pocket for the user, then go for it. But if money is an issue, then go at your own pace.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2020, 12:12 PM)staceyburke Wrote: If you are on Medicare you can get a free cushion every 6 months and a complete mask and head gear each year. They will ask why you want a complete new mask. I tell them mask leaks and headgear has stretched. Mine has never “worn out” before the 6 months.

We have no option for that in Australia, everything is "out of pocket" for us.

Machines are around $1,500 AUD (just over $1,042 USD) if you get them at a "discount" off RRP, most places will give the lower prices if you ask.
My ResMed AirFit F20 mask cost me $250 AUD, could have got one a bit cheaper, but didn't have time to wait for online delivery.

I'm not sure if we joined a health care fund for private medical cover that the equipment would be covered or not, but I don't think it is.  Thinking-about
- They are not spelling/grammar errors.. I live in Australia, we do it differently Down Under  Big Grin -
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-11-2020, 11:55 PM)Ockrocket Wrote:

We have no option for that in Australia, everything is "out of pocket" for us.

Machines are around $1,500 AUD (just over $1,042 USD) if you get them at a "discount" off RRP, most places will give the lower prices if you ask.
My ResMed AirFit F20 mask cost me $250 AUD, could have got one a bit cheaper, but didn't have time to wait for online delivery.

I'm not sure if we joined a health care fund for private medical cover that the equipment would be covered or not, but I don't think it is.  Thinking-about

$250 seems like a lot for something you have to pay yourself every now and then, ever thought of making your own masks and 3d print them on a SLS? frame from polypropylene and cushion from silicone injection molding(mold also 3d printed).

To tackle this you'd need some form of 3d face scan and a bit of CAD knowledge.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 169 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 496 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Switch to memory foam cushion? Toddsims 4 515 12-28-2023, 12:14 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Very intermittent nasal cushion collapse BillfromMissouri2 4 383 12-10-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  F20 Touch (foam) cushion --Longer Use and Larger Leaks snorin2 18 1,983 09-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Surprised ResMed AirFit N30 Nasal Cushion & P10 pillows WW4B 1 729 08-15-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: cdplatt
  [Equipment] Many simplus cushion hisses asm01asm 2 548 06-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Kingsway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.