Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed N30 nasal mask
Resmed N30 nasal mask
Just received the N30 mask and tried it briefly for fit and function.
The mask is similar to one of Res Med's nasal pillow masks, the P10. The P10 has a similar light weight strap and front hose, but its nasal pillow cushion has no rigidity and I found that this caused the main hose to pull on and deform the cushion and break its seal as I moved around. Also, the pillows impressed me as an irritating, intrusive and non-ideal way to provide air in a nasal mask.
The N30 is also a very light weight mask.  The cushion is light and not bulky, very soft and conforming and yet seems substantial enough. And, at least in my awake test, seals well.  It fits into a rigid frame that doesn't curve as much toward the face as the N30i cushion rigid front pieces, and thus doesn't look like it will cause discomfort where the nose meets the face, which was a problem for some people with the N30i design. We'll see if it stays in place and sealed and how it performs during sleeping conditions
The front hose is light, and only about a foot long.  It's fixed to the front of the mask frame, with the free end as a single axis swivel for connecting to a main hose.  I'm going to use a hanger to fix the main hose to the bed's headboard to keep the hose connection from swinging around and tugging on the mask.
The exhaust diffuser seems to be excellent - it's a slot that runs all the way around the front of the mask frame, and doesn't stream air, at least at modest pressure; it just distributes it gently and evenly.
The headgear consists of a strap with adjusting buckle that splits to go on top of and in back of the head - very thin and lightweight.  The whole mask is extremely light and unobtrusive when on your head and face, and very quiet with the air running (I use very modest pressure).

If it stays put, the only considerations I see so far are:
1. The thin, lightweight strap will probably require frequent replacement, and may not provide enough friction and traction if users have bulky or slippery hair configurations.....it's a very skinny strap.
2. The short front hose and its connection suggests that the user may want to use some care in hose management - that is, the main hose will not be a non-issue as it is with a top connecting mask. The mask is so light in weight that any hose dragging or twisting could affect it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed N30 nasal mask
Go N30i or P30i. I mainly use the P30i but occasionally I get a bit of irritation on my nose and revert back to the N30i until it clears up. It still works well and requires some minimal adjustments. .The P30i is the best mask I have used
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-26-2019, 02:58 AM)holden4th Wrote: Go N30i or P30i. I mainly use the P30i but occasionally I get a bit of irritation on my nose and revert back to the N30i until it clears up. It still works well and requires some minimal adjustments. .The P30i is the best mask I have used

The N30 is basically an iteration of the P10 hose and headgear, with a cradle cushion that looks to be a huge improvement over the N30i, that includes the vent design of the P30i,

If you prefer hose connection on top and pillows, then P30i makes sense, but the N30 looks pretty compelling to me.

I ordered one, which was supposed to arrive yesterday, but didn't because of some mysterious USPS delay.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Slowriter
I received the N30 and used it for a couple of nights.  Had some problems with leaks so I took a careful look at the problem today.
The cushion is very comfortable and the venting is excellent.  However, at least for me, there is a problem that I can't fix, so I'm going to have to send it back.
The cushion is soft from top to bottom.  Any tugging on it by the hose can cause it to pull up enough that the air holes lose their seal at the bottom.

If I compare this situation to the dreamwear cushion, the dreamwear has a stiffer edge at the bottom, and the mask's side arms hold the cushion up against the bottom of the nose, so the soft part with the air holes can't pull away enough to lose their seal (with my extra strap arrangement anyway).

Be interested to know your experience with the N30.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-27-2019, 03:38 PM)cronkster Wrote: Hi Slowriter
I received the N30 and used it for a couple of nights.  Had some problems with leaks so I took a careful look at the problem today.
The cushion is very comfortable and the venting is excellent.  However, at least for me, there is a problem that I can't fix, so I'm going to have to send it back.
The cushion is soft from top to bottom.  Any tugging on it by the hose can cause it to pull up enough that the air holes lose their seal at the bottom.

If I compare this situation to the dreamwear cushion, the dreamwear has a stiffer edge at the bottom, and the mask's side arms hold the cushion up against the bottom of the nose, so the soft part with the air holes can't pull away enough to lose their seal (with my extra strap arrangement anyway).

Be interested to know your experience with the N30.

I tried it last night, and I have a similar concern. 

I find the mask really comfortable and quiet (more so than the Dreamwear even). 

But as you note, the straps only secure on one horizontal axis, so it doesn't feel stable. 

That said, my leak numbers were really good, so maybe just a question of getting used to it. 

I normally use the Bleep, which is a front hose mask, so I'm not bothered by that, and however I manage the hose doesn't cause me the problem you note.

I was considering this as a backup for the Bleep, and so an alternative to the Dreamwear. Love the minimal headgear on the N30, and the comfortable cushion, but jury still out for me on whether that headgear is effective enough in stabilizing the cushion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I'm new to CPAP (3 months) and have gone through several masks.  The ResMed Airfit N30i with the nasal cradle was comfortable, but the noise from my machine was conducted through the tubing - whines with every breath I take (sounds odd, but it is true - hubby figured it out since he had a ResMed S9 that never made this noise, and his new machine - same as mine - does - but doesn't seem to bother him).   

Then I tried the ResMed Swift FX with nasal pillows but they are impossible to tolerate - don't have the right nose shape. Cutting one of the nasal pillows seemed to help - still not all that comfortable.  So....was hoping you could tell me how the AirFit N30 is doing, or know of other's experience with it?  The vendor I received my CPAP from won't carry it - says it's too flimsy.   I don't like nasal masks at all (tried 2).  

Would appreciate your opinion.

Sad

Many thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
My opinion hasn't really changed. I still use it occasionally as an alternative to the Bleep, and I still sometimes am bothered by leaks.

I've noticed the cushion and the headgear (which is all one needs for this mask) are now showing up on eBay for reasonable prices, so easier to try for yourself without worrying about DMEs.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks!!!  I'll check out ebay as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you mean that you don't like nasal pillow masks?  The kind that go into your nostrils?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been alternating between the N30 and N30i.

My main concern with the N30 is that the headgear does not hold tension very well. There is a quick adjust strap that you can pull to tighten the headgear but it slips right back to a looser position. So, I have been using tape to secure the headgear at the adjustment point.

The N30 is relatively quiet. It is very lightweight and this I why I am preferring it more recently to the N30i.

I usually sleep in my back, but have been able to sleep on my side with the N30 and have not had any major issues with leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 99 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,226 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 266 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Using DreamWisp Nasal Mask With ResMed AirSense 11 Avign0n323 2 342 01-31-2024, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Avign0n323
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 486 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.