Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed N30i newer pillow
Resmed N30i newer pillow
Haven't needed to order the pillow/nose piece for my Resmed N30i in a while and noticed that it changed as some point.  I had a bunch of back stock of the original one.

New unit seems to be almost all silicone rather than 50/50 silicone/plastic.  Also, defuser in the front seems to let less air out.  I've been using the old version for a few years.

Anyone noticed any issues with the new version?  Seems to fit a little differently since there isn't as much plastic to keep the shape.

New Version:    

Old Version:    
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed N30i newer pillow
I prefer the newer one as it is extremely quiet and much more comfortable than the old one. I quit using the N30i because I did not care for the plastic bits as they leaked like crazy. The newer cushion doesn’t leak as much and I’ve not noticed any problem with the diffuser although I recall reading that other don’t like it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have gone back to the old style because it leaks less for me. And since I don't sleep with my hearing aids; I hear nothing. :-)
Post Reply Post Reply
I strongly dislike the newer AirFit N30i cushions. After months of trying to keep my leak numbers under 20 with them (never a problem with the older/better N30i cushions) I can offer these observations:

- The new cushions are very difficult to detach from the mask frame for cleaning. I've ripped a couple of these 'new' cushions when trying to separate it from the frame. (pinching the frame sometimes helps, but hurts my arthritis)
- The shape of the cushion is flatter, with less rigidity, so it only stays in place if you're a back sleeper who doesn't move at night. Side sleepers will find that this new cushion slips around and causes high leak rates and sometimes, difficult breathing (both of which wake me up ...) This cushion is not quieter for me because it is so soft and squishy, it slips around/off and the loud rush of leaking air is not quiet.
- The cushion has a small plastic insert which will sometimes pop out when cleaning the cushion. Not that easy to pop it back in. And one time, the small plastic piece went down my sink drain, ruining the cushion and necessitating plumbing work to clear the drain.
- The squishy new cushions are not as durable, requiring more frequent replacement

I've gone back to a Respironics Dreamwear Mask while I figure out what to do. There doesn't seem to be a place to purchase the original cushions for the N30i. This is clearly one of those "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" things. The AirFit N30i was my go-to mask, but with these horrid new cushions, I cannot get the CPAP therapy I need.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with you 100%.  I slept so well with the original n30i cushion and when I tried the new version it felt like I wasn't getting enough air and I would pull my mask off in panic.  A year ago I finally found a replacement one I like: the Fisher & Paykel (F&P) Evora Nasal Mask. It has a nice, large opening under the nostrils and the minimalistic frame goes on like a baseball cap and stays in place all night.  I've gotten used to the hose in front, although I'd prefer one with the hose at the top of my head.  If ResMed ever made the original n30i cushions available again I would return to them, but at least I've been sleeping well again with the Evora mask.  Good luck to you; it's so hard to find the perfect fit.
Post Reply Post Reply
T blue, do you find the exhaust vents a problem?  I have tried that mask and found them pretty strong as far as the air escaping.  Every time I turned on my side I would hear the air rushing on my pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm really glad i looked.

I have the new version of the N30i. my leak rates are terrible. I move back to side to side a lot. I thought the mask is so simple! What can go wrong!

I used the Philips REspironics mask for a long time. Got a lump on a nostril that had to be surgically removed. I ran away from the PR mask!

I use an F&P Evora Full (full face mask). Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't it leaks horribly.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
yankees123, I don't find the air vents a problem at all.  In fact I think the air is dispersed well by the pinhole openings.  I really loved the original ResMed N30i, however I feel that mask was much noisier than this one due to the air coming from the tubes alongside the face and I would sometimes have leakage when sleeping on my side.  I don't have any leakage with this mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
yankees123, I wanted to clarify that my comments are about the Evora mask that I use now.  I think you were asking about that mask and not the N30i which I no longer use.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks t blue, I realized you were talking about the Evora mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 990 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 243 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,735 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 5,131 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 321 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  ResMed Airsense N30i elbow leaking? Elton525 2 405 02-13-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Elton525
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,805 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.