Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed P10 Head gear
RE: Resmed P10 Head gear
There are so many complaints about that headgear. There appears to be two easy fixes if the usual shrinking or clipping techniques fail; one I tried and have been pleased with for about a year and one I am sure would work but won't do because of strap pressure mentioned below. The first one may not work for supine sleepers because of the adjustment knob at the back of the headband. 

1. What I know has worked fine for a year.
I think the P10 mask is the greatest--for me, of course--after trying and rejecting several. The P10 strap pressure did create a trough across my big head in about a year, which, I guess, always kept me away from the too-loose problem. (One thing driving me here was hair loss that seems to have been corrected.)

I cut the hollow straps off at the end of those plastic laterals and suspended the mask from an adjustable head gear I removed from a ($10 construction helmet ) head band. The only trick was being careful to place D-ring anchors on the head band at equal distances and at correct tilt angles that matched the mask's design. I happened to have a heavy duty stapler like copy shops have (to bind, say, 30 copies) and I simply stapled polycarbonate anchor loops (that were cut from the helmet's upper webbing support) to the polycarbonate band. Then I hung the mask with the kind of Velcro illustrated below, which the big national chain stores have in small quantities. The D-ring allows the mask to swing freely while hanging from a piece of Velcro that passes through the ring to go down and be "velcroed" to the inner and outer surfaces of the original hollow mask strap ("sandwiching it' for about an inch on both sides).

I found that I did have to wear a baseball cap--I cut off the bill--to keep the headband from dropping down to my ears to be able to use a comfortable headband tension setting. I used a cap with a Velcro strap in back and cut a wedge out of its crown so there would be no pressure or abrasion on top of my head. 

2. What I believe would work and would be incredibly simple.
Using Velcro, as below, I'd see if a 2 or 3 inch piece could be placed hook side up under the upper strap at its center on top of the skull. If it sticks (I don't remember the Velcro grabbing property of that P10 strap there), then create a loop or a buckling in the strap so it will rise off the skull that you can hold with a bridging piece of Velcro. Of course, some would avoid the loop: cut out the excess in the top-of-head strap and dress its cut ends somehow, then use Velcro to span the gap.

[attachment=9697]
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
There are so many complaints about that headgear. There appears to be two easy fixes if the usual shrinking or clipping techniques fail; one I tried and have been pleased with for about a year and one I am sure would work but won't do because of strap pressure mentioned below. The first one may not work for supine sleepers because of the adjustment knob at the back of the headband. 

1. What I know has worked fine for a year.
I think the P10 mask is the greatest--for me, of course--after trying and rejecting several. The P10 strap pressure did create a trough across my big head in about a year, which, I guess, always kept me away from the too-loose problem. (One thing driving me here was hair loss that seems to have been corrected.)

I cut the hollow straps off at the end of those plastic laterals and suspended the mask from an adjustable head gear I removed from a ($10 construction helmet ) head band. The only trick was being careful to place D-ring anchors on the head band at equal distances and at correct tilt angles that matched the mask's design. I happened to have a heavy duty stapler like copy shops have (to bind, say, 30 copies) and I simply stapled polycarbonate anchor loops (that were cut from the helmet's upper webbing support) to the polycarbonate band. Then I hung the mask with the kind of Velcro illustrated below, which the big national chain stores have in small quantities. The D-ring allows the mask to swing freely while hanging from a piece of Velcro that passes through the ring to go down and be "velcroed" to the inner and outer surfaces of the original hollow mask strap ("sandwiching it' for about an inch on both sides).

I found that I did have to wear a baseball cap--I cut off the bill--to keep the headband from dropping down to my ears to be able to use a comfortable headband tension setting. I used a cap with a Velcro strap in back and cut a wedge out of its crown so there would be no pressure or abrasion on top of my head. 

2. What I believe would work and would be incredibly simple.
Using Velcro, as below, I'd see if a 2 or 3 inch piece could be placed hook side up under the upper strap at its center on top of the skull. If it sticks (I don't remember the Velcro grabbing property of that P10 strap there), then create a loop or a buckling in the strap so it will rise off the skull that you can hold with a bridging piece of Velcro. Of course, some would avoid the loop: cut out the excess in the top-of-head strap and dress its cut ends somehow, then use Velcro to span the gap.

[attachment=9697]
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
This is not about the P 10 headgear specifically.  However, I struggled with the fit of P 10 when I first started using it as it seemed as if my nose/nares were at a different angle than the P 10 cushion.  As a result, I would lose the seal sometime during the night. 

I tried to tape various things under the bottom side of the cushion to get the mask to angle better for me - but nothing would stay on the silicone of the cushion.  Until I thought of the ear plugs that my husband uses.  They are a blog of silicone that you shape to fit in your ear.  I took one of the ear plugs and divided the piece in half.  I shaped it into a sort of ball shape and placed it between the nasal cones on the bottom of the cushion as shown in the picture attached. 

This has worked very well for me - I can move around in my sleep (I am a side sleeper and move from side to side) and the mask doesn't dislodge. 

I have been using this successfully for 6 months now - every now and then I need to get a new piece of silicone as it loses its ability to stick to my skin.

Good luck!!
Sleepless Badger
Post Reply Post Reply
I order my spare nasal pillows from Amazon. Currently L size is listed for $14 a piece. M for $12.
Post Reply Post Reply
The poster who mentioned HOT water (heated even) has the right idea.

If you want it to shrink use the hottest water you have available or heat some.

Consider rapid drying with a HOT blow dryer as well.

Mine will shrink with full HOT water from the tap; it doesn't return to the original tightness (good) but it can be shrunk a few times -- after that, it's usually fraying at 6-10 months.

You can also take a tuck in it with needle & thread, or even (stupid idea but works) tie a knot in it.

Another choice I haven't tried it to simply dismount one end, cut it shorter, then make a new hole to get the clip/hook back in.

Some people have cut them and inserted velcro, both to make them larger and to simply allow for adjustment.

One caution: I firmly believe (from years of testing) that a P-10 should feel a bit looser than common sense would suggest.

Mine rides better, causes no irritation, doesn't have leaks if I have it a bit loose -- eventually though it will get too big unless you are near the maximum to use it initially.

I always stretch my new ones fairly rigorously even though initially I thought they were perfect -- until the first few stretch enough to see that they were essentially too tight when they felt "just right".
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 257 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 462 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Elevated head of bed increases CA and AHI silverdr 1 678 09-05-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  DIY idea to stop itching and rash back of head? okieman 15 11,058 05-16-2023, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Xltrod
  Head cold Barbara.Levitan 2 597 03-10-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Washing gear in bleach? bbbl67 10 859 02-12-2023, 03:01 AM
Last Post: bbbl67
  Waking Up After ~90 Minutes with Strange Head Sensation MickTravis 3 779 01-20-2023, 10:49 PM
Last Post: ewriter

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.