Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S-9 Humidifier off, but reservoir empties
Resmed S-9 Humidifier off, but reservoir empties
I filled my reservoir on Saturday and by Wednesday morning it was empty. I had turned off humidity on Saturday night.

Not a major issue as I know I can just leave the reservoir empty. I just find it curious.

Anybody else notice this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S-9 Humidifier off, but reservoir empties
You can remove the humidifier altogether and attach the hose directly into the S9
Water in the tank and humidity off (passover), the air still picking up some moisture, also some water lost due to leaks
Post Reply Post Reply
During these winter months, when living in homes with forced air heating systems, the furnace will dry out the air significantly. If you do not use a humidifier in your home to reintroduce the loss humidity of the air, this dry air will be sucked into the CPAP machine and blow over the water reservoir and draw the moisture from the water sitting in the well of the CPAP humidifier - even when the humidifier is turned off. To avoid this, your only alternative is to remove the humidifier from the CPAP unit. This applies to all CPAP units with humidifiers attached. Else, look for a leak in the water well of the humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2014, 08:11 AM)pmyokhin Wrote: During these winter months, when living in homes with forced air heating systems, the furnace will dry out the air significantly.

Actually any heating system when it is cold outside will make the heated air very dry. For instance, if you have 75 deg. F air at 40% relative humidity and you heat it to 85 deg. F, the relative humidity drops to 10%. The chart that I found did not go below 75 deg F but you can see that if you heat outside air at 40 deg F and 50% RH all the way up to 70 deg F the RH will be extremely low regardless of the method of heating.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
This article on the subject was quick and interesting;
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/wdryout.htm

This can be found in the article above as well, and was equally interesting;
http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/weather/whumdef.htm
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yup...as others have said, even with the humidifier off, the air you are breathing still passes over the water in the tank (unless you take the humidifier completely off or leave it empty). The dry air will pick up a little bit of humidity as it does (hence "pass over humidification"). It is perfectly normal and part of the design of the humidifier.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
In the old days (damn, did I just say that?!?), back before heated humidification became the norm, there were passive humidification systems that just ran the air over water in a tank. The current DeVillbiss Intellipap (yay!) shuts off the heat to the humidifier when running on 12V DC power making it passive humidification (there are a lot of functional features in that unit I highly respect-I think it is under rated).

If you sit out a bowl of water for a week or so, the water is going to evaporate. It humidifies the air. Not a efficiently as heating the water a few degrees, but it does none the less.

If I was thinking of not using water at all in the S9, I would just remove the entire humidification unit. I am leery of running anything heated that is designed to hold water, without the water to absorb that heat. Probably would do no damage, but the water does work as a heat sink in the design. And why burn the energy?

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2014, 08:03 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: In the old days (damn, did I just say that?!?), back before heated humidification became the norm, there were passive humidification systems that just ran the air over water in a tank. The current DeVillbiss Intellipap (yay!) shuts off the heat to the humidifier when running on 12V DC power making it passive humidification (there are a lot of functional features in that unit I highly respect-I think it is under rated).

If you sit out a bowl of water for a week or so, the water is going to evaporate. It humidifies the air. Not a efficiently as heating the water a few degrees, but it does none the less.

If I was thinking of not using water at all in the S9, I would just remove the entire humidification unit. I am leery of running anything heated that is designed to hold water, without the water to absorb that heat. Probably would do no damage, but the water does work as a heat sink in the design. And why burn the energy?

OMM

I don't use the humidifier and leave it attached but turned off without any problems. I prefer to have it attached as imo it helps keep the machine in place when I toss and turn during the night,
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2014, 01:27 PM)gondolabob Wrote:
(12-06-2014, 08:03 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: In the old days (damn, did I just say that?!?), back before heated humidification became the norm, there were passive humidification systems that just ran the air over water in a tank. The current DeVillbiss Intellipap (yay!) shuts off the heat to the humidifier when running on 12V DC power making it passive humidification (there are a lot of functional features in that unit I highly respect-I think it is under rated).

OMM

I don't use the humidifier and leave it attached but turned off without any problems. I prefer to have it attached as imo it helps keep the machine in place when I toss and turn during the night,
Hi gondolabob,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-06-2014, 08:03 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: ...back before heated humidification became the norm, there were passive humidification systems that just ran the air over water in a tank...
I think that when you "turn off" humidification on the S9, this is exactly what your are doing. IOW, simply turning the heater plate off that raises the water temp a few degrees.

All that will really do is make the "pass-over" less efficient. It will still evaporate and humidify the air, just not as efficiently or as much as if it were heated. So the water will not disappear as fast, but certainly should not be expected to still be there after 4 days.

So that should really not come as a surprise.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,736 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Am I crazy for complaining to this DME seller about the reservoir I ordered? sweetbobby 14 386 03-08-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: sweetbobby
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 700 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 331 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior
  Airsense 10 humidifer reservoir runs dry after 4 hours jwtm 18 1,173 12-24-2023, 06:44 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Extra Humidifier Water in Arid Climates DFWdude 19 2,130 12-13-2023, 08:23 AM
Last Post: car54

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.