Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S10 Airsense vs. Respironics Dream Station
Resmed S10 Airsense vs. Respironics Dream Station

Was diagnosed with SA after a test in August...

These are the two machines that the company I was referred to by my doctor has, which one would you guys choose?

I know nothing about this, unfortunately.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S10 Airsense vs. Respironics Dream Station
Welcome to the best SA forum out there!!! Lots of helpful knowledgeable people here.

I know the ResMed AirSense 10 is a very popular machine. The Respironics brand is a good one too. The DreamStation is pretty new and from what I've seen, we don't have too many members that are using them yet. The Respironics previous generation is very popular.

Make sure you get a fully data capable machine so you and/or your doctor can track your progress. You can get free opensource software called SleepyHead to do that with. It is available here on this forum. Look at the menu bar above labelled appropriately SleepyHead.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Weird Tolkienish Figure,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Both brands are comparable, just make sure you get a fully data-capable machine so you can look at what gose on in your sleep.
Hang in there for more suggestions and answers to your questions and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Read the links in my signature line at the bottom of this post.

DreamStation vs. AirSense 10 isn't enough info.

Be especially careful that you don't get scammed with a brick machine. Get one that records full data. It's vitally important to proper management of your therapy.

Do NOT accept the AirSense 10 "CPAP" model. You want at least the A10 Elite model, and the AutoSet or AutoSet for Her would be better.

I wouldn't take the DreamStation right now. It's a new model and the bugs may not be worked out. SleepyHead, the free program most of us use to read our data, doesn't work for it yet. Avoid the DreamStation "CPAP" model as well. You want at least the Pro model, but the Auto would be better.

Be prepared to fight your DME to avoid being screwed with the wrong CPAP. Be prepared to go to another in-network DME to buy your machine if you have to.

Welcome and good luck.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are a subset of machines under the general names -- Resmed S10 Airsense and Respironics Dream Station.
Under the Resmed S10 Airsense are: the Autoset, the Elite and the plain CPAP.
The Respironics Dream Station offers: CPAP, the CPAP Pro, Auto CPAP, BiPAP, Auto BiPAP, and BiPAP Auto SV

Which of these subset will be made available to you is not predictable: but likely will be the the machine the supplier can maximize profit on.
I would "Google" the names and read up on them. Plus, the forum has machine reviews by members at:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-C...ne-Reviews

As was stated by cate1898, the Dream Station has just come out; and reviews are in short supply.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I can only tell you about the Resmed...

Resmed is 24v and to run off a battery you need a special Resmed adapter kit for $85 -$100.

Resmed is a great machine. Quiet, small, functional etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't used Respironcis machine but if starting out right now, I would choose "DreamStation Auto CPAP"
Unlike "Fixed CPAP", Auto does both modes "Fixed CPAP and Auto-CPAP"
It has some features which are not available on AirSense 10, might be be most useful for newbies
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2015, 12:41 AM)zonk Wrote: I haven't used Respironcis machine but if starting out right now, I would choose "DreamStation Auto CPAP"
Unlike "Fixed CPAP", Auto does both modes "Fixed CPAP and Auto-CPAP"
It has some features which are not available on AirSense 10, might be be most useful for newbies

Could you explain those feature?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-24-2015, 01:43 AM)player Wrote: Could you explain those feature?
All explained in the clinical manual http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual
[SmartRamp - Opti-Start - EZ Start, Auto Trial]

Post Reply Post Reply
zonk: knowing I will not qualify for an auto machine, do you still recommend CPAP newbies get the DreamStation CPAP Pro? I have requested the clinical manual for that one and also the one I am currently being loaned as that is the one I have been planning all along to buy late November after my follow up visit with my sleep lab doc.

I will likely know this after getting the manuals, but the features you mentioned, Smart-Ramp, Opti-Start, EZ-Start, are they available on the CPAP Pro? I am pretty sure I can assume Auto Trial will not work on a CPAP Pro as it is not auto capable.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 475 4 hours ago
Last Post: Old Steve
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,829 9 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,067 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 620 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,627 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,816 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 229 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.