Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S10 Airsense vs. Respironics Dream Station
RE: Resmed S10 Airsense vs. Respironics Dream Station
There is no "qualifying" for an auto machine. all CPAP machines are billed under the same code. The insurance company does not care which one you get, only the DME does, they want the most profit. Your Dr. should have no problem writing a Rx for an auto machine, it actually makes his life easier. The only exception to this is some HMO's like Kaiser.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 05:06 PM)DWaldman Wrote: There is no "qualifying" for an auto machine. all CPAP machines are billed under the same code. The insurance company does not care which one you get, only the DME does, they want the most profit. Your Dr. should have no problem writing a Rx for an auto machine, it actually makes his life easier. The only exception to this is some HMO's like Kaiser.

Canada has different rules than the USA Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 05:06 PM)DariaVader Wrote: Canada has different rules than the USA Smile
Australia have no such rules but have "Aussie Rules", that is a different ball game altogether Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 05:06 PM)DWaldman Wrote: There is no "qualifying" for an auto machine. all CPAP machines are billed under the same code. The insurance company does not care which one you get, only the DME does, they want the most profit. Your Dr. should have no problem writing a Rx for an auto machine, it actually makes his life easier. The only exception to this is some HMO's like Kaiser.

As others have mentioned, she's from Ontario in Canada where there are strict rules if she wants a heavily discounted machine through the public insurance program. Unless she fits into the APAP definition, the "insurance company" (being the government) will not pay for the APAP.

Her doctor has no say in what he can prescribe if he wants to follow those rules - it is completely based on the lab test results.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 09:49 AM)cate1898 Wrote: zonk: knowing I will not qualify for an auto machine, do you still recommend CPAP newbies get the DreamStation CPAP Pro?
DreamStation CPAP Pro is the closet thing to Auto, it does fixed CPAP and Auto during the Auto trials period, here some information from System one but the same apply to Dream Station Pro and Auto http://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/pr...uto-a-flex
Auto trial mode available on Auto and Pro
All features can be enables or disabled if desired

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks zonk I just got the manual and will now have a look!

p.s. to all: I certainly did not mean to start up a big discussion on Canada CPAP rules vs. U.S. CPAP rules (and other countries...) again. I have amended my signature to hopefully stop this from happening again.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 05:48 PM)ramblingasian Wrote: Her doctor has no say in what he can prescribe if he wants to follow those rules - it is completely based on the lab test results.
I suppose no problem prescribing DreamStation Pro, fixed pressure CPAP machine
Also if enabled, does Auto during the Auto trials period

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 07:02 PM)zonk Wrote:
(10-25-2015, 05:48 PM)ramblingasian Wrote: Her doctor has no say in what he can prescribe if he wants to follow those rules - it is completely based on the lab test results.
I suppose no problem prescribing DreamStation Pro, fixed pressure CPAP machine
Also if enabled, does Auto during the Auto trials period

Looking at the most current ADP list of approved machines, the DreamStation line is not on the list. As well, I don't think any DME's in Ontario have them in stock either right now.

I'm pretty sure (70-80%) that until the ADP revises the list (and the product comes into stock) that the DreamStation will not be an option for the time being.

That being said, I doubt it's very difficult for them to put the machine on the list once it becomes available in Ontario for purchase.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-25-2015, 09:18 PM)ramblingasian Wrote: Looking at the most current ADP list of approved machines, the DreamStation line is not on the list. As well, I don't think any DME's in Ontario have them in stock either right now.
Not worries, PR System one Pro 460 does the same thing
They should have it in stock, unless they only stock ResMed
System One comparison guides http://www.healthcare.philips.com/pwc_hc...-guide.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
Cate1898 - I'm in Ontario too. I don't think the Respironics Dreamstation is available here yet so I ended up purchasing the Resmed Airsense 10 Elite just last week because it was newer design/technology than the Respironics Pro CFlex+ I used as a trial. I really like how I can scroll through and get a daily look at how I am doing with it. My only concern now is if my doctor will be able to read the reports to his satisfaction versus the Respironics reports he is used to getting from the "supplier next door".

One reco for anyone else in Ontario, shop around - I saved $900 of out of pocket costs (after ADP) by going to a different supplier than the "one next door" that my doctor automatically sent me to, and that only offered the Respironics Pro CFlex+ and built in service costs or basic Respironics SE with no AHI data. The supplier I bought from offers 3 manufacturers, more mask options and better fitting...plus lower costs. I'm new to the forum so not sure if I can mention the supplier, regardless shop around.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,709 10 hours ago
Last Post: fixed it
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,026 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 612 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,580 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,758 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 225 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.