Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S10 Airsense vs. Respironics Dream Station
RE: Resmed S10 Airsense vs. Respironics Dream Station
(06-04-2016, 04:30 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Hand up here! Adding humidity only makes me stuff up worse. We are all different.

From what you said earlier, you do add humidity-just not very much. In order to add no humidity you would need to leave your humidifier tank empty.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the side panel no humidifier option on the as10. The machine is so quite that I don't even know it's on.
I did use the humidifier for a few nights when I had a sore throat and the as10 did make a small amount of noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2016, 04:42 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(06-04-2016, 04:30 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Hand up here! Adding humidity only makes me stuff up worse. We are all different.

From what you said earlier, you do add humidity-just not very much. In order to add no humidity you would need to leave your humidifier tank empty.

Well, I think that's a bit picky (no insult intended, as I am the prince of picky myself). I've run the machine with the humidifier dry and noticed no difference. And of course there is always some water vapour in the air. As I also use an oxygen generator I believe the overall flow will be somewhat lower in humidity than the ambient air.

I like to sleep warm and breath cool. If I up the humidity I have to heat the hose to keep away rainout and I don't like that.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2016, 03:02 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: Well I for one put the humidity setting at zero. I do put water in the humidifier and it gets nearly empty over the course of a week or so. I am too cheap to buy the extra part as suggested above.

You didn't specify how much water you're putting in. But if it's disappearing in a week, it sounds like you're getting some humidification whether you asked for it or not. I fill mine to the max line and it lasts more than a week with it set on one.

D Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2016, 07:40 PM)dwd1249 Wrote: I use the side panel no humidifier option on the as10. The machine is so quite that I don't even know it's on.
I did use the humidifier for a few nights when I had a sore throat and the as10 did make a small amount of noise.

That's very interesting! I haven't tried either machine without humidification, but I keep it set low and have had no issues with rainout or dry sinuses. I'm intrigued though that you say it was notably quieter without the tank in place. I ran out of water in the tank once because I forgot to check it, but the sinus irritation made me look. Not sure I'd want to run without for any length of time, even if it did make the machine quieter. But I do wish the machine was quieter.
Thanks,
D Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Ive been on cpap since the first machine made by Resperonics in 1986. I used resperonics for years then started to have issues with breakdowns.

Ive been using resmed for the last 4 machines, I need auto or vpap etc my pressure changes sometimes dialy.
My S-8 bigger bulkier is a tank that never stops working, its never broke and its my standby machine everytime my S-9 broke. My first S-9 broke in 10 months, sent it back to resmed by dme, they gave me a new machine, 2 yrs later that broke and was repaired, the humidifier stopped working, Ive had 3 new humidifiers and I cant keep them working. Keep in mind theres only a 2 yr warranty and ive had to buy those 3 humidfiers, the last humidifier just stopped heating again and it dries my throat out to where its painful.

I am ready for a new machine and I my supplier showed me both the airsense and the dream machine. I wasnt impressed with either at this point. I want to see the Fischer Paykel in person its the only machine with a full 5 yr warranty which means you covered for the entire life of the machine with medicare and insurers.

If anyone has any info or opinions on  the fishcher paykel  machine it would be appreciated

Id like to add for many years I believe resmed to be superior to resironics but the S-8 was a MULE mine has huge amount of hours on it and its never broken and is still my standby machine. Yes its bigger heavier bulkier, but the S9 I had a bad luck with
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm just buying an Airsense 10 and everyone I have checked prices with is offering a 5 yr warranty option for a little bit more - about 6% of the price. I figure that is worth it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Or buy a Dreamstation for $365, meaning you could buy 2.5 machines for the price of a Resmed Airsense 10, and this is likely to last a lot longer than 5 years!

My first 2 Resmed Airsense 10 machines were replaced soon after getting them, so if you still want to buy one, I suggest you buy from good reseller, as Resmed has quality control issues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Buying from a subsidiary of ResMed so I am expecting good support. Let's hope so. Locally the cost of the Dreamstation is over 91% of the airsense even from the online stores. If it was 2.5 times less I would consider it, but sadly no.
Post Reply Post Reply
I seldom take humidifer when I travel as I don't want to hassle with buying distilled water everywhere I go.  Not to mention the size and space savings.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 19 360 1 hour ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 69 25,719 Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,034 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 613 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,599 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,766 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 227 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.