Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S10 water leak from humidifier
RE: Resmed S10 water leak from humidifier
I just returned from seeing my cpap provider. She said that I am the only one to complain, even tho both chambers that I have had since buying brand new ResMed unit, has leaked and ruined my night table. After looking at it this morning, it is leaking at the seam that is like 1/8 or 1/4 inch from bottom, just in one area. It appears compromised in the area, meaning, it is not real crystal clear in the area of the leak, whereas the rest of the seam around the bottom is clear, as it is sealed. She said my unit is warrantied for 3 years and I can bring it back anytime and she will give me a new unit since she documented both failed water chambers in my online file. She offered me a new unit today, but it was a different one and a little more bulky, but with zero chance of a leakage since it doesn't have a seam below the max water line. She has ordered me 2 water chambers at no charge and told me to see how they do. She did examine the internal metal heating plate area to see if perhaps there was a defect in the area, causing the water chamber to be compromised, "maybe fitting tighter" and causing the water chamber to crack open the seal on the bottom seal. It is a poorly designed water chamber to have a glued seal in that area. I may just go ahead and get a new one... I have zero confidence that my next 2 chambers won't leak. But I will let you know if it does.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

The previous post said:

" She offered me a new unit today, but it was a different one and a little more bulky, but with zero chance of a leakage since it doesn't have a seam below the max water line."

Could this be a redesign that fixes the problem?  Could you post a picture showing where is seam moved to?  Thanks.

mjrPdqkLguUgGLE
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2017, 01:44 PM)ottcpap Wrote: Can anyone confirm if some or all of the complaints on leakage are directly related to seepage under the metal plate within the reservoir itself? I am on my 2nd reservoir and have the EXACT same problem where soapy water is visible between the plate and the exterior plastic under 2 months. This can't be healthy.

Soapy water under the plate and not in the reservoir absolutely indicates that this is water from cleanings.
This is not a "leak" from the interior of the reservoir, it is getting in there through the small hole in the corner (that you can see in the image) during cleaning...  it is the way it was designed.

The solution is simple...  Do not submerge the housing.
My DME's instructions were as follows:
"Every morning, Dump it out, Rinse it out, Dry it out"

Only clean (distilled) water is used in the chamber.
The hose and system pressure is long enough to prevent backflow from your mask into the reservoir, so I even question the need to use detergent to clean the reservoir at all.
I would be more concerned about residue from the soap being inhaled during use.
If there is concern about bacteria being present, then remove the cover (gently spread the hinge pins) and wash that and the seal separately as you do now.
Then wash the inside of the base, rinse and dry, but do not submerge it.

Supplier #14 does sell "dishwasher safe" reservoirs.   I always thought this was because of the heat of the drying process, but I suppose it is possible that this unit may be designed to allow for it to be submerged for cleaning.
That may be what this new replacement unit that your DME gave you is.
-- Rich
Links to Download OSCAR here
OSCAR Installation and Setup

Using Attachments to Post Images on Apnea Board

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Rich. Great advice and will try some of the steps.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not use soap. I empty the water each day if there is any left.  But with leaky seams, there is no water to dump... it has already 'dumped' on my night stand.  When I received two replacement resevoirs, the seam is still at the bottom. No new design. The one I was talking about was a different brand cpap that had a resevoir without any seams that could leak. So far my 3rd resevoir hasn't leaked in the 2 weeks I have had it.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you just fill the reservoir and place it on the counter, how long is it before you notice leakage? Can you see where the water is coming through?

It sounds like there may have been a bad batch from the factory if you had two that leaked.
-- Rich

INFORMATION ON FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, it would leak immediately.  These reservoirs are poorly designed with the seam at the bottom, just above the metal plate.  I don't know how many days it took for each new one to leak as I didn't monitor it closely. But I have had the new machine for about 7 months with 2 leaking reservoirs. I didn't dust too frequently, so I noticed the problem when I picked it up to pack for vacay. Then I assumed the second one would be ok, but at some point it started leaking not long after I got it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The perimeter of the metal plate is another potential leak source.
-- Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I'm using ResMed Lumis 150 VPAP-STA for last 1.5 years, it comes with a humidifier tank. this is second time my tank is leaking and water oozing out of the tank when the machine is operational. Did anybody face such a situation. Please help

This is a big concern

Regards
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-12-2018, 10:49 PM)senuphilip Wrote: Hi,

I'm using ResMed Lumis 150 VPAP-STA for last 1.5 years, it comes with a humidifier tank. this is second time my tank is leaking and water oozing out of the tank when the machine is operational. Did anybody face such a situation. Please help

This is a big concern

Regards

The humidifier looks the same as in the Autoset 10 According they can be replaced on insurance every 6 months they do go bad and leak where the metal plate joins the plastic tub. Just always make sure you have a spare and replace when necessary. I did read somewhere that the dishwasher safe model is more likely to leak but there is not much you can do about it but replace this consumable item.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 39 Yesterday, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 243 03-27-2024, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,413 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 96 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 145 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 155 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.