Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S8 excessive noise and need data card
Sad 
Resmed S8 excessive noise and need data card
my husband had the respmed s8 autovantage system which I hear is outdated. I just got it last year at a yard sale since he other one was even older.  I thought this was a nice little unit. we don't have the data card and I am trying to get one. The problem is it is like sleeping with LOUIE ARMSTRONG. I cant take it much more. He has a full face mask. The machine says adjust mask high leakage which I am aware of. I made a "gasket" for the mask to keep it from vibrating and that helped a little bit but if he rolls over on his side(into my ear) the mask vibrates so loud and he is sound asleep and doesn't even hear it or feel it. I know he isn't getting the therapy he needs when this happens. I am looking for the data card so I can show a pulmonary doc what is happening with this machine but I don't have one or the software to go with it either. I am at the end of my rope. Can anyone help . He has tried several different pillows and none seem to help.
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S8 excessive noise and need data card
Hi Amishcntry, welcome to Apnea Board.

You have two separate issues here - the data card and the leaking mask.

The S8 used a special proprietary card supplied by Resmed. In addition to the card, you need a special Resmed card reader. Supplier #1 has the reader advertised for $55 (See the list of suppliers link at the top of this page). Unfortunately they do not have the card, which is extremely difficult to find. I've looked at a few online suppliers and they all list the card as discontinued. I think you're probably out of luck.

Regarding Louis Armstrong - I suppose that's a better description than "face farts" which my beloved accuses me of. Smile It's difficult to get a mask which fits properly, doesn't leak and is comfortable. You mentioned a "gasket" - many people use mask liners made of fabric with some success. Do a Google search for Remzz or Pad-a-cheek. I assume you've adjusted the headgear straps - sometimes if you over-tighten them it makes the leaks worse. Other things to try (apart from a different mask) include thorough washing of the mask to remove and facial skin oils, shaving before bed and washing and drying the face thoroughly before bed. These all help the mask get a better grip on the skin and thus help prevent leaking.

The final part of this puzzle is the pressure - you mention you bought a used machine and you've listed the pressure as "unsure". I have to ask how (or whether) you know that he has the right settings. Did your doctor set up the machine for you, or did you just accept the settings of the previous user?

Good luck in your quest.
Post Reply Post Reply
A member is offering a free card in this post: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...d-for-a-S8

Remember, you will also need a reader to import the data into a computer, so the card is just 1/2 of the solution. I agree with Deepbreathing above that if the mask is old, the cushion may need replaced as they lose elasticity over time; also a mask must fit. It sounds like you're buying and using used equipment. Replacement parts and masks that are new may be economically sourced on Amazon. You may want to look there for something that will work better and still have its new seal.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is an alternative to the ResMed data card reader and data card and I used it on my S8 for years. It is the USB adapter module and it snaps on to the card slot in the back of the machine and connects to your computer with a USB cable. I googled "ResScan USB Adapter" and got a few hits. They are about $59.00. Best of luck.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,295 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,051 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 230 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 147 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  SD Card in AirSense 11 missing data larryh 2 171 03-06-2024, 08:54 PM
Last Post: larryh
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.