Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP seems to vary in pressure but it's not in auto mode
CPAP seems to vary in pressure but it's not in auto mode
I'm new to my CPAP after only 4 weeks of use.  I don't understand what I'm feeling - hope you folks can help.  My set pressure is 7cm.  When I first startup the CPAP at night, each rush of inhalation makes a significant noise - enough so my wife can easily hear it.  And enough so that I usually use the ramp feature to let me go to sleep without fixating on the noise.  But when I wake in the middle of the night, it seems that the noise and therefore the pressure is very much less than it is when first starting.  My wife could not even hear me breathing last night.  I'm not talking about the first couple of breaths when the machine is trying to figure out what's going on - instead after it reaches steady state.  From Sleepyhead, I can see that the pressure is always 7 (except for when I use the ramp feature which is set to 15 minutes) so it is not in auto mode for sure.  I have Flex set to #2.  I don't believe that in either case there are leaks that would cause the noise.  Is the variation in noise normal?

Thanks for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP seems to vary in pressure but it's not in auto mode
You will have some sound when the machine is switching between inhale and exhale due to flex. That might be what your hearing.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  should I raise my CPAP pressure if 3AM spo2 is loow RichardW 13 314 04-16-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: RichardW
  [CPAP] New CPAP User - Help Understanding CPAP data and Pressure Spikes Sleepin 3 155 04-12-2024, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 124 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 225 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 269 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  Difference between S-Mode and VAUTO mode - Aircurve MrIvanDrago 3 314 02-27-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 319 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.