Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

deviated septum , breathing problems through the nose.
RE: deviated septum , breathing problems through the nose.
Saline: Google "Isotonic Saline" for recipe. You want some baking soda in there for a buffer to make it Just Right. Proper saline won't burn your nose. Warm but not hot.

About 8 ounces is good, through the combination of both nostrils. Mostly let it THROUGH and spit it out. You want it to OPEN the passage through.

Good enough: a simple cup you sip by placing it OVER your upper lip and sipping THROUGH YOUR NOSE instead of your mouth. You don't NEED any special 'neti pots' or the stuff below.

Better: Special little squirt bottom (fill tube goes to bottom for squirting UP) by NeilMed

Best: NeilMed SinuGator -- not much more expensive that the silly little bottle above but works best of all the methods I have tried.

BTW: Neti pots are STUPID unless you are a new age hippy and just want your sinus irrigation to sound cool.

Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
Post Reply Post Reply
Un-stuffing Your Stuffy Nose by Steven Y. Park, M.D
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...tuffy-Nose

Nasal Breathing Video Series by Barry Krakow MD
See " Commercial Posts" forum
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:has anyone got this same problem, or had septoplasty to correct this ? has it worked for you ? any info would be great.

There has been a lot of helpful info posted on here, but no mention of what I consider, (after septopalsty), to be the real culprit. Even before CPAP was prescribed, a septoplasty was done. After enduring a sleep study, CPAP therapy followed, & I looked forward to a big improvement in my quality of life, but for me there was to be little improvement. I persisted for 12 years before a visit to an ENT confirmed I had enlarged turbinates. The ENT booked turbinate resection surgery which was done around 3 months later. Now I can breathe freely all day and all night. The surgery was not all that bad & I would recommend having it done if breathing difficulties are plaguing you.

PS The septum is like your fingernails and grows as you age. The nose itself cannot grow so the septum get a bow in it which restricts the airflow on one side.

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,140 27 minutes ago
Last Post: Jorgo
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,010 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,812 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 196 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 152 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,978 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 150 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.