Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Resmed S9 Escape [copied from old forum]
Resmed S9 Escape [copied from old forum]
PaulaO Wrote:Realized no one had reviewed this basic model and, since I am stuck with one, I thought I would put one up.

Items marked with a # are things I am certain are limited to the Escape model. The rest may or may not apply to all S9s.
Items marked with a * are the H5i humidifier and perhaps should be in its own review but I'm in a lazy mood.

The Resmed S9 ESCAPE is the most basic of the S9s. Mine came with the H5i humidifier and the one piece tank. It originally came with a regular Slimline hose but I was recently sent the ClimateLine.

Pros:
- Like all S9s, it is quiet and compact.
- It looks nice sitting out and I don't feel like it is a medical device when I look at it.
- the screen is easy to read in the dark and it fades and turns off after a short time so there's no unwanted night light. (I used to keep a towel over my S7 because of the light.)
- I've not traveled with this one yet but I am sure it will be easier since it comes apart and has a cool case (vs the huge S7 with its integrated humidifier)

Cons:
- # No data collection except compliance (meaning how many hours the machine was last on). This data is extremely useless since it doesn't say if the machine was in use, only that it was on. So if your ins. company wants to confirm you are actually using it, it's far too easy to fake it and, therefore, useless.
- # even that small amount of data is, to me, difficult to bring up. As far as I can tell, it only keeps a single day in memory, even on the card.
- * Mine came with the one piece humidifier tank. useless. too difficult to clean and thoroughly rinse out.
- * the water level is VERY difficult to gauge on that silly yellow whatever. If I had the two piece tank, it might be easier to see
- the hose comes out the back which makes it very odd to place. I have almost pulled mine off the stand twice
- * the lid on the humidifier opens on its own. this has happened to me four times. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I do know how to close a lid and how to ensure I did it right yet it still opens
-  In keeping the series compact, they present you with only three buttons to choose and change what few options are available.
- when the power goes out, there just is not enough airflow to breathe. I first thought it was my mask but since I have changed that, it has to be the machine. My S7 was stuffy with the power off but I did not wake up in a panic with no air available
- and, speaking of power, the reason the S9s are small is they took a chunk of power components out and put them in the 'brick' (the box in the power cord). This brick must be kept uncovered due to heat generation. And, because it now has a different cord and plug, you cannot easily replace it should something happen to it over the weekend. My S7 was using a 10' computer cord.

Still, even with the problems, I would most likely be less perturbed if I didn't feel this was the 'idiot' version of the S9 series. The lack of data collection further promotes the concept that we, the patient, are not capable of understanding nor trustworthy enough to have access to our own medical devices. And yes, I feel like an idiot for not doing more research prior to going to get this machine. Had I done so, I never would have left the DME with this machine. At times, I'm not sure I would have even requested the S9 Autoset or Elite.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 Escape [copied from old forum]
(02-18-2012, 12:10 AM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
PaulaO Wrote:- and, speaking of power, the reason the S9s are small is they took a chunk of power components out and put them in the 'brick' (the box in the power cord). This brick must be kept uncovered due to heat generation. And, because it now has a different cord and plug, you cannot easily replace it should something happen to it over the weekend. My S7 was using a 10' computer cord.

Of course that's part of what makes it small and quiet. If the power is external it doesn't need to be in-house (smaller) and no need for a fan (quiet). To me it's a very small price to pay even if it doesn't use a standard cord.

Quote:Still, even with the problems, I would most likely be less perturbed if I didn't feel this was the 'idiot' version of the S9 series. The lack of data collection further promotes the concept that we, the patient, are not capable of understanding nor trustworthy enough to have access to our own medical devices. And yes, I feel like an idiot for not doing more research prior to going to get this machine.

Same here but with my memory limitations I was defeated before I got started. That's why I started with the REMstar SE which makes the S9 Escape seem quite superior.

Quote: Had I done so, I never would have left the DME with this machine. At times, I'm not sure I would have even requested the S9 Autoset or Elite.

And you prefer....?

Post Reply Post Reply
My new S9 Escape emits a whistle when I exhale. It is not super loud, but loud enough to be anoying. Does anyone else have this?
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2013, 04:40 PM)gbohner Wrote: My new S9 Escape emits a whistle when I exhale. It is not super loud, but loud enough to be anoying. Does anyone else have this?

Loads of people have this problem with S9 machines. For example:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...athing-out

Post Reply Post Reply
On my S9 Escape, I can step through usage over different periods not just 1 day i.e. 1 week, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and 1 year. It records the amount of time it has actually been used not simply 'on'. If it is switched on without the mask being properly used it flags up an error warning. I have never had a problem with the lid of the humidifier unexpectedy opening and yes it does sometime whistle a bit when exhaling.
I have only been using the device for 4 months so am a newbie and not an expert on such matters. These comments are simply my observations.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the info, Hedgy.

Welcome to Apnea Board!

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Another point on all of the s9 series cpap...

If you are going to run them on 12 battery via a 110v inverter for extended periods of time (like using in a sleeper berth equipped semi truck 300 nights a year ). You need to use a special pure sine wave inverter. Normal and less expensive modified sine wave inverters will over time burn out the blower motor and compliance electronics.

Also flow sensors are very sensitive to moisture. If in a vehicle like a motor home. ..dump out the water chamber before moving.
(Just a truck driver with sleep apnea )
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] Respironics PR System One REMstar Auto with A-flex [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 5 16,077 09-05-2020, 02:20 PM
Last Post: GWild
  [Product Review] Respironics System One REMstar Pro C-Flex+ [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 9 19,461 11-18-2015, 04:05 AM
Last Post: cate1898
Wink [Product Review] Res Med S9 Escape brianwood619 34 27,573 11-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Last Post: ReinaldoDa
  [Product Review] ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 44 65,038 04-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Information How to Review a Product in this forum SuperSleeper 0 15,147 02-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  [Product Review] PR SystemOne BPAP Auto w/Bi-Flex [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 0 6,724 02-18-2012, 12:03 AM
  [Product Review] RemStar M series P Machine [copied from old forum] SuperSleeper 0 6,476 02-17-2012, 11:56 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.