Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 Escape, loud noise on inhale
Resmed S9 Escape, loud noise on inhale
Hi everyone, I did see some of the previous noise about inhale noises, but this is not a whistling. the exhale sound sounds just like it always did, but in the last week, whenever I inhale, it sounds like a vacuum cleaner.

so, what it is, is the fan gets really loud and sped up, like when wind blows through a fan and makes it spin faster than it was. I called Bennett medical, which is the company i get my supplies and originally got the machine through. though they have not returned my call as it is the holiday weekend.

I am using a Resmed S9 escape with humidifier and slimline heated hose and a nasal mask. nothing has changed in over a year as far as masks, hoses or humidifier parts (yes i clean and replace what needs to be when they need to be) I do travel with the machine, but always use the bag and ensure it is safe. it has been over a month since i last had to move it.

as a computer tech and often automobile mechanic, I can only suspect that something is wearing out, or that some kind of bypass or something has plugged up. I have seen that there is a flapper valve, and I'm not sure which direction the valve works or if it is before or after the pump itself.

I have had the machine since oct 2012 and from the setup settings i can see that I have put in close to 15000 hours on the machine. While i have been able to sleep with it as loud as it is (its over powering the music i listen to, that was to cover up the soft exhale noise) it is very disconcerting and does cause me to take longer to get to sleep.

does anyone have any ideas?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 Escape, loud noise on inhale
If you're thinking blower wheel bearing failure, I'd agree. Any time I hear someone say some rotating device is making a high pitched squealing noise, a loose bearing is my standard guess. Considering it has 15000 hours on it makes that guess sound even more plausible.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Just a thought to rule out a failing humidifier seal. Try disconnecting the humdifier, connect the hose to the base unit, and then see if the noise is still present.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
this sounds more like the motor is racing, like my own inhale is pulling in more air than the pump is supplying. its not really a whistle. to be honest it sounds like someone vacuuming a room and the inhale is when they vacuum towards you and it gets louder.

without the humidifier the noise is slightly quieter. i have check the seals and everything seems fine so i can only think the humidifier is just making the noise louder.
Post Reply Post Reply
By design the blower motor speeds up when you inhale -- it has to as it's controlled to supply constant pressure.
15,000 hours is near end of life for these machines. Although they often go longer.
The only flapper valve is in the elbow of a full-face mask. That's an anti asphyxia valve.
There are no valves inside the machine -- in the air pathway is an intake filter, an impeller to create flow and pressure, a pressure and flow sensor near the outlet. There are a few people who have been brave enough to replace the motor bearings. They are sealed bearings on the motor shaft.

Here's a thread by a person who replaced the bearings in an S8 generation machine.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...t=bearings
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi alacardkane,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds like a new machine is in order.
Hang in there for other suggestions and good luck to you with your CPAP therapy and getting your machine problem straightened out.
Here is a link to guide you if you should need a new machine, http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
There was a thread earlier this year where a member had a machine that sounded like a dying animal. This was an Airsense 10 and was replaced by secondwindcpap as discussed in this thread. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ing?page=7 Turned out to be the "pneumatic block" aka the blower.

Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
yep...that's the sound. on the S9 escape it sounds more like computer fan kicking up and i know its the fan because it follows my breathing exactly.
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like you are going to be getting an upgrade. This might be something to celebrate considering the S9 Escape is known as a brick anyway. Hope your next machine has data. If you are insured, you should notify your supplier your machine is broken and unrepairable. If you are self-financing, check out the online suppliers for deals Cyber Monday. I notice Amazon has the Airsense 10 Autoset for under $600 and the Dreamstation Auto in the $mid-400 range. In any event, failure of your current machine is imminent, and you need to be sourcing a replacement now.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,273 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 143 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [Equipment] Transcend Micro very loud chipschap 5 963 02-25-2024, 08:39 PM
Last Post: Rkaechler
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 357 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 595 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.