Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 Problems
Resmed S9 Problems
I have both the Resmed S9 AutoSet and the PR One Series 60 and i have encountered problems with the Resmed. I did not change the Resmed default pressure of 4-20cm h20 because it's an APAP, but i found myself snoring quite loud so i changed it to 4-17 (my Rx pressure is 7-17). However, i still snored so i changed it to 4-11cm h20. It has been working good now, but i am wondering why the pressure climbed so high (up to 17) even if i don't need that much pressure. As a result, there was a high leak. I checked if there was a mask leak, turns out none.

When i used my Respironics, even if the pressure is set for 7-17cm h2o, my highest was only 10cm H20. Also, i did not snore as much. I just dont know why i still snore even if i have CPAP on.

I use humidifier, disposable fine filter, bacteria filter and comfort gel nasal mask for both machines.

A little info about me: I am a 62 year old male who had been diagnosed with sleep apnea since 1996. I have been using a CPAP with a pressure of 8cm h20 since the diagnosis. I have undergone a sleep study November of last year and my updated pressure is 10cm h20 for CPAP or 7-17cm h20 for APAP. I have been using APAP continuously since January 26th of this year. I also found out that i have aortic aneurysym August of last year. My sugar level is also above the normal range despite taking medication.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 Problems
tigerdaddy, if your snoring it means your opening your mouth therefore not getting the full effect of the treatment. Have you tried a full face mask or a chinstrap as your using a nasal mask. Also do you know what your AHI is? If it is under 5 you are doing Ok. The other thing if it is under 5, how do you feel during the day, do you have the noraml symptoms or do you feel Ok?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Tez62. Thanks for your advice. I actually haven't tried using a chinstrap. Too be honest, I was hesitant to try it because it does not look comfortable. But if I get the chance to order CPAP accessories again, that will be on top of my list. When I've undergone sleep study, I tried using the full face mask and it was not comfortable for me so the nurse suggested that I use a nasal mask instead (which I have been using since year 1996.) I am new to SleepyHead software and I am not familiar with the terms yet. My highest AHI is 2.03 and the average for the last 30 days is 1.14. I sometimes still feel sleepy during the day. My daughter noticed that I often fell asleep when watching TV. Is this normal? I was thinking maybe I just did not get enough sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI stands for apnea hypo apnea index, which is how our apneas are measured, it's how many times we stop breathing per hour on average for 10 secs or more. Then they use it to rank our severity 0-5 is normal, 5-15 mild 15-30 moderate and 30 + severe. At your sleep study they should have been able to tell you how many apneas you had. From your figures your highest is 2.03 and average 1.14 so figures wise you are doing well. You probably know but CPAP helps us breathe not help us sleep so the by product should be that we sleep. It will be interesting to see what other say about why you still feel tired, I would ask, do you follow good sleep hygiene? At least your figures sound good, keep it up and I would leave your pressures as they are for a good period to get some proper figures. Well done.
Post Reply Post Reply
tigerdaddy--What I learned after being on a pressure of 7cm since my first sleep study now about 7 plus years ago is that our pressure needs can change over time--and sometimes dramatically! I knew something was wrong when I learned that I was snoring in the mask. A new sleep study indicated a pressure of 13, as I recall, but that failed to get me under control. Finally, a ResMed S9 AutoSet got into the picture. It's set to a range of 15-20cm and I'm finally able to get the AHI under control.
So, in less than 10 years, my needed pressure went from 7 to an average of about 19cm. I've heard that a change in pressure requirements is not uncommon.
It's certainly true that with higher pressures, leaks are challenging to keep under control. No question about it.
Sorry, but I cannot shed any light on the differing pressures between your two machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
tigerdaddy--In your initial post, you mentioned that you didn't know why the pressure on your S9 climbed up to 17 after setting a top end at 11cm, and you also reported leaking. It sounds like the high pressure was possibly a result of the leaking. I haven't heard of this machine's pressure climbing without cause beyond its set range, unless the machine is faulty.
You might want to look at your data via ResScan software in addition to SleepyHead. ResScan calculates intentional (mask design) vs. unintentional leakage and shows you the unintentional leak rate. ResMed states the machine can compensate for leaks up to 24cm, and there's a red line on their leak graph at that pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
You state that you have the low end of the S9 at 4 and the PR at 7. That could be why you are snoring. Set them both for your Rx #s of a low of 7 and a hi of 17 and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tigerdaddy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Before you try the full-face-mask, )FFM,) you might consider trying a chinstrap. The FFMs are proned to leaks, though they can be tamed, why do that if you don't have to, (Ha-Ha?) Anyway, There are several types of chinstraps on the market, some that just look like headbands with a chin cup and others that have are more substantial. I think I read here on the board somewhere, that you can also make your own out of ace bandages.
As far as the difference between the two machines, it could be that the algarhythm is different in each machine but that's just a SWAG, (scientific wild ass guess, Ha-Ha,) not sure about that though. Hang in there for more suggestions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2013, 01:58 AM)tigerdaddy Wrote: I have both the Resmed S9 AutoSet and the PR One Series 60 and i have encountered problems with the Resmed. I did not change the Resmed default pressure of 4-20cm h20 because it's an APAP, but i found myself snoring quite loud so i changed it to 4-17 (my Rx pressure is 7-17). However, i still snored so i changed it to 4-11cm h20. It has been working good now, but i am wondering why the pressure climbed so high (up to 17) even if i don't need that much pressure. As a result, there was a high leak. I checked if there was a mask leak, turns out none.

When i used my Respironics, even if the pressure is set for 7-17cm h2o, my highest was only 10cm H20. Also, i did not snore as much. I just dont know why i still snore even if i have CPAP on.

I use humidifier, disposable fine filter, bacteria filter and comfort gel nasal mask for both machines.

A little info about me: I am a 62 year old male who had been diagnosed with sleep apnea since 1996. I have been using a CPAP with a pressure of 8cm h20 since the diagnosis. I have undergone a sleep study November of last year and my updated pressure is 10cm h20 for CPAP or 7-17cm h20 for APAP. I have been using APAP continuously since January 26th of this year. I also found out that i have aortic aneurysym August of last year. My sugar level is also above the normal range despite taking medication.

Hi tigerdaddy, welcome to the forum!

What robertbuckley said.

By the way, raising (not lowering) the minimum pressure would be expected to decrease snoring. Leave the top end of the range at your prescribed level of 17.

If you again find you are sometimes snoring, I think you can safely raise the lower pressure. I suggest not lowering the max pressure without consultation with your doctor if possible.

I suspect that if you look at time plots of the S9 AutoSet's data using ResScan or SleeyHead you may occasionally see that when snoring was occuring the pressure was sometimes max'ed out and would have liked to go higher to prevent the snoring but could not because the max pressure setting didn't let it.

Snore and Flow Linitation tend to make the S9 AutoSet slightly increase its pressure, to prevent future snore and Flow Limitation, etc., but in the background the machine also tends to drift very very slowly lower in pressure (in case pressure needs have changed and pressure can be reduced) until it again senses snore or Flow limitation, etc., and decides the pressure needs to be raised again. So the pressure will tend to adjust higher and then slowly drift lower, throughout the night. To avoid this, some forum members find they do better using a fairly high minimum pressure which pretty much largely prevents snoring and other obstructive events the whole night.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Deleted duplicate post.
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,015 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  [Equipment] ResMed Airtouch F20 Cushion cleaning with drool problems. Funkmonkey 2 172 03-05-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: Funkmonkey
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Positional Apnea Problems ggibson 13 1,852 11-20-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Jarlo
  CPAP since March 22, still dealing with aerophagia, wakings, and heart rate problems manacles 16 2,570 10-01-2023, 11:16 PM
Last Post: manacles
  CPAP Problems for People with Large Lung Capacity? AquaMan 7 999 09-17-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
Question Top of the head tubing connection problems GaspForAir 2 462 09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
Last Post: Nightynite

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.