Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

One month later
One month later
Been experimenting some with pressures and got some interesting results. Equipment is in sig and I added Swift FX nasal pillows.

1. Normal night: AHI=.8 avg, pressure ranges from 4 to 12, leaks are near zero, both the mask and pillows are comfortable.

2. If I set the S9 to CPAP and pressure of 4, I get an AHI of .3 with only 1 or 2 events total per night. This is the same with the pillows or full face mask. Seems odd, but I like it. Makes me wonder why in APAP mode it ramps the pressure up to 12-14 a couple of times a night. Based on the CPAP mode and 4 pressure, that isn't necessary.

3. The pillows are amazingly comfortable. But for some reason, I seem better rested after a night on the full mask. No leaks with either and I don't mouth breath and the snore index is always zero these days. Thought this was strange and causes a dilemma as to which mask to use. I love the pillows for the comfort and I can use my glasses with them. I love the full face mask because I don't know what to do with all the energy the next day. Although I am infinitely more rested with the pillows than I was without CPAP. Just a curious result that I cannot trace to root cause.

That's it. Since starting this a month ago I've started to eat right, exercise and I can go all day without a nap (been a long time since that has happened). I travel a lot (4 days / week, multiple cities) and didn't think I would lug the S9 around but I won't go anywhere without it. Gives me my edge back.

I did get lucky and my Medical Savings account covered the cost of the machine and equipment. Now trying to get TriCare to pay for the ongoing supplies. Speaking of which, why do I need a new mask every 3 months? If it still works, why replace it? I can understand if insurance is paying, but so far this has all been self funded.

Thanks to everyone on the board. Without your help, I never would have tried this out and that would have been unfortunate. Life is good.

Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: One month later
Curious--what is your mask called? I use Swift FX nasal pillows, and you have me curious to try your mask, with your comment about having so much energy the next day.
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't need to replace your mask that often even if insurance will pay. it's nice to have a spare, but since you have tow that you use- the FFM or the pillows essentially you always do have a spare.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2012, 12:01 PM)Jenny Wrote: Curious--what is your mask called? I use Swift FX nasal pillows, and you have me curious to try your mask, with your comment about having so much energy the next day.

ResMed Mirage Quattro is my full face mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
The reason you want to change your cushion periodically is the increased likelihood of leaks. Less leaks leads to lower AHIs which leads to better sleep.

The headgear tends to stretch over time which is why insurance allows you to replace them periodically.

I try to "milk" my replacements until I have a spare mask and hose setup.

You never know when you might have an "accident" (such as a puppy chewing on your hose). Oh-jeez
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2012, 11:53 AM)tomhole Wrote: 2. If I set the S9 to CPAP and pressure of 4, I get an AHI of .3 with only 1 or 2 events total per night. This is the same with the pillows or full face mask. Seems odd, but I like it. Makes me wonder why in APAP mode it ramps the pressure up to 12-14 a couple of times a night. Based on the CPAP mode and 4 pressure, that isn't necessary.

This indicates to me that the APAP's algorithm isn't working (for you).

Quote:3. The pillows are amazingly comfortable. But for some reason, I seem better rested after a night on the full mask. No leaks with either and I don't mouth breath and the snore index is always zero these days. Thought this was strange and causes a dilemma as to which mask to use. I love the pillows for the comfort and I can use my glasses with them. I love the full face mask because I don't know what to do with all the energy the next day. Although I am infinitely more rested with the pillows than I was without CPAP. Just a curious result that I cannot trace to root cause.

It might be worth your while to get fully acclimated to the nasal pillows to see if they'll work for you. The reason I say this is because it took me a long time to get acclimated to the nasal mask/pillows. My mouth tended to open a lot more often when I started out. I think it doesn't show in the leak data because it's not that much above the intentional leak rate. It does show up as a loss of water in the humidifier tank, though. Some nights the level drops a half inch. Others barely enough to see. As time has gone by there are far fewer nights where I get significant drops in the water level.[/quote]

Quote:Gives me my edge back.

That's awesome. I think that's just now starting to happen for me and I'm almost five months in. My AHI is now averaging about 2.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 154 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  One month in and could use help RTC75321 2 154 03-20-2024, 06:46 PM
Last Post: RTC75321
  [Treatment] Low O2 After Almost a Month of Therapy somewherein413 36 1,038 03-14-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Month on CPAP can't stay asleep Trep1018 1 138 03-08-2024, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Symptoms] Help my symptoms got better at first but then they came back after a month LordofthStrings 14 934 02-22-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: LordofthStrings
  Cpap for 4 month, worked in the beginning but not much now Killiane69 6 605 01-23-2024, 07:41 AM
Last Post: Killiane69
Smile Three month overview outasleep 5 548 11-27-2023, 12:20 PM
Last Post: outasleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.