Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 Rainout problem
Resmed S9 Rainout problem
Folks, I posted about this some time ago and then was offline until the new board kicked in. Any tips would be welcome...

I use a new Resmed S9 unit. I have trouble with water condensing in the tubing, draining back into the humidifier housing, onto the heater baseplate and then running out of the bottom of the humidifier/heater onto the floor.

With my old S8, I could lift the tubing and condensate would drain back into the water chamber. Not so with the S9. The water chamber sits inside a sealed compartment which is pressurized; there is not a physical commection between the water chamber outlet and the outlet hose connector on the side of the machine.

My home care company did not furnish a temperature controlled hose with my S9. I upgraded to large bore tubing. The small bore that came with the machine seemed to bottom out when I would breathe in.

Based on feedback to my post on the old board, I purchased a Resmed tubing wrap. It doesn't seem to have any insulation and is pretty worthless. I then covered the tubing with a fleece wrap but still have condensate problems.

I am currently on max temperature. Anything less causes me to cough.

I suppose I could increase the room temperature but would rather not.

I figure my only options are to buy a heated hose or find a water trap. The lack of a physical link between water chamber and machine outlet is, to me, a pretty screwy design. I guess ResMed wants the customer to buy heated hoses...

Do any of you know of a source for water traps that can be inserted inline at the outlet of the machine so when I lift the tubing, water will not drain into the machine and make a mess on the floor?

Thank you for your feedback.

And thanks to those who posted replies when I was on the old board.

W

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 Rainout problem
I have an S9 also but mine came with the heated hose which is suppose to help rain outs. Something you may want to do is work with your DME. When I get mine I had one setting and that was temperature and uping the temperature was not the answer. When I discussed this with my DME he said that they normally don't setup an S9 with dual settings but if I "insisted" they would set mine up that way. So now I have a setting for heat and humidity. My temperature is set to 80 and my humidity is set to 4 and I'm not having any issues. I would see your DME and see what can be done to your machine. Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2012, 10:07 PM)Wankel Wrote: I use a new Resmed S9 unit. I have trouble with water condensing in the tubing, draining back into the humidifier housing, onto the heater baseplate and then running out of the bottom of the humidifier/heater onto the floor.

...My home care company did not furnish a temperature controlled hose with my S9. I upgraded to large bore tubing...

I am currently on max temperature. Anything less causes me to cough...

I suppose I could increase the room temperature but would rather not.

...Do any of you know of a source for water traps that can be inserted inline at the outlet of the machine so when I lift the tubing, water will not drain into the machine and make a mess on the floor?

Wankel, you don't mention which flavor of S9 you have - Autoset, Elite, etc. If you would provide that information, or include it in your profile, it would enable members to better understand your issues and provide possible answers.

If you have an Autoset, such as moondoggy described, you can make those mentioned changes yourself without having to go to a DME. You would, however, need to get a heated hose. Without insurance, they are available online for around $50.

What are the ambient conditions where you live? Your room temperature at night is obviously important, as you recognize. It sounds as though it may be very cold compared to the air in your tube, thereby causing the condensation. By the way, where is your S9 located relative to your bed - higher, lower or about the same?

What setting do you currently use for your humidity? I am not sure what "max temperature" means, since my S9 Autoset does not have either a heated hose or a temperature setting.

Finally - no, I know of no water trap which would function as you seem to want. I believe you are going to have to resolve your condensation issues in a different manner.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the S9 Autoset with the H5i humidifier and the Climateline hose. Yes, it's definitely a bit more expensive than the standard slimline hose, but it's also very effective at eliminating rainout, without the need for a separate hose cover. I think you can find them on eBay for around $30 to $40 new if you don't mind shopping on eBay. I've been using the same hose for 6 months now without any issues.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Wankel,

I highly recommend the Climate Line hose. It gives you a lot of capability to avoid rain out and adjust both your humidity and temperature to what works for you.

If you do go this route, please note that the default "Auto" mode with the Climate Line installed only gives you a single adjustment, hose temperature (in degrees). According to the Resmed manual, the machine will automatically adjust to keep the air at 80% relative humidity. If this doesn't work for you, you can change the setup in the Clinician Menu (forbidden area) so that you can adjust the hose temperature and the humidity independently. If you get the clinician manual, available from this site on request, it goes through how to make this setup change in detail, as well as a ton of other things your DME likely forgot to tell you even exist, let alone that you could change.

When I first started I had trouble with my sinuses drying and being painful. Once I found this alternate mode, I played with both until I got the humidity right with a temperature that pretty much avoids rain out.

Let me know if you want more detail, but this should get you started.

Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2012, 10:07 PM)Wankel Wrote: I have trouble with water condensing in the tubing, draining back into the humidifier housing, onto the heater baseplate and then running out of the bottom of the humidifier/heater onto the floor.
I think the machine is defective
It,s impossible for water to leak onto the floor without having a hole somewhere as the system suppose to be airtight.
Check the S9 and humidifier attached correctly as described in the user guide.

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with Zonk on this. Water from the hose goes where the air goes and if water can escape, so can air.

Does the machine make a lot of noise?

Tomorrow I will try to remember to pour a little bit of water down the hose and see what happens to it.

Not to be smartarsed, but you do have the humidifier tank in right, correct?
Does water leak out with the machine off but water in the tank?
How much water is there?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2012, 03:24 PM)zonk Wrote: It,s impossible for water to leak onto the floor without having a hole somewhere as the system suppose to be airtight.
Check the S9 and humidifier attached correctly as described in the user guide.

i'm glad you posted this reply because i was completely baffled trying to picture water running out of a sealed system.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks folks for the replies. You know, I have wondered if maybe the machine isn't defective myself. Tomorrow, I'll get down and take a closer look. Water in the bottom of the heat chamber is one thing but it seemed odd that I found it on the outside of the machine and in the tray where the machine sits.

Jumpstart, I assume it is an Elite. Nowhere on the machine do I see any kind of designation nor what might appear to be a model number. "IPX1" is on the back of the machine, and it has "EPR" on the front, so I believe it is an Elite. I will update my profile info once I am sure.

So far as the physical location of the machine, I keep it under the bed. It sits in a standard desk tray that you might see on a desk for letters and such. Makes it easy for me to slide the whole shebang out at night when I am ready to use it. In use, the machine sits on the floor in the tray with the tubing stabilized by wrapping a strip of velcro attached to my bed snugly around the hose near where it enters the machine. Otherwise, if I pull on the hose during my sleep, the machine might tip over. I use a hose wrap and try to keep it under the covers with me as much as possible.

Paula, yes, the water chamber is seated properly but I have checked and double checked to make sure since I got the machine. I fill the water no higher than the yellow scale would indicate as full and it is always below the seam in the water chamber. As for noise, it is dead quiet. I hear a faint whistle when I exhale but thats it.

I pretty much have to dry the heat chamber every morning from rainout that goes back into the machine during the night and rather than entering the water chamber, like it would with my S8 with the outlet on top, the water sits on the floor of the heater chamber.

I'd rather not have to upgrade to the ClimateLine hoses but I guess if I have to, I'll give them a try.

I found a supplier of water traps today. At $4.50 each, I think I will order one and install it as close as I can to the outlet of the machine with a short piece of flex tubing (6" from a jet nebulizer pack) or a piece of Tygon.

If that doesn't work, I guess it's a ClimateLine tube...

Thank you all for your feedback.
Post Reply Post Reply
if defect is suspected you need to bring it to your dme and show them where the water comes out or where it goes. if it is defective it should be replaced free of charge. if it isn't defective they should show you what you are doing wrong. as i see it there's no middle answer. either it is defective or you are doing something wrong. don't complicate your life and add some trap to it before they see it. if something is added on they can say it's your fault and not replace it under the voided warranty theory. don't give them any reason to cheat you. make them, make it right. besides, if it is still leaking and you need a trap, the pressure isn't right and your treatment is likely not doing any good.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,576 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 106 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,333 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,474 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 333 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Is my leak rate a problem? Kevstuf 5 552 02-08-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: Kevstuf
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 392 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.