Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can Oscar show if someone is mouth breathing with nasal pillows
Can Oscar show if someone is mouth breathing with nasal pillows
Hi 

My father in law who is 85, was diagnosed with sleep apnea (moderate) last year and is using a BiPaP machine. Initially, he tried the F20 mask but found the magnetic straps and buttons difficult to manage ie to put the mask on each day. So he is now using the P10 nasal pillow mask which is much easier for him to get on / off. 

However, I don't know if he mouth breathes a lot or not, and wondering if Oscar data can show that. And also is there a level of mouth breathing that is ok even with nasal pillows?

Asking as he lives in a different location, and doesn't want someone to watch him while he sleeps, so I can't watch him while he sleeps to see if there is significant mouth breathing or not. 

Thanks

Shriram

I have set up Oscar on his computer and so can download data and analyze it for him.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can Oscar show if someone is mouth breathing with nasal pillows
Yes, but you need to analyze the leak chart and the flow rate chart.

Is mouth breathing ok. Sometimes. Expiratory mouth breathing is ok period because our therapy occurs 0n inhale. Large leaks are ok, not preferred, if you are just over the limit and your AHI is consistently low. If you are seeing UA events your device is having trouble seeing what is going on and you have exceeded your devices capability of making up the difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can Oscar show if someone is mouth breathing with nasal pillows
Thanks much, I will pull his charts and post next time I see him. Appreciate the feedback

S
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 2 78 1 hour ago
Last Post: Hurdsy
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,539 Yesterday, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 283 Yesterday, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 105 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 349 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 355 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,087 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.