Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 ... Set to APAP (or not)?
Resmed S9 ... Set to APAP (or not)?
I was able to rent a modern machine, a Resmed S9.

First night (3/27) with the Resmed S9 was apparently a success. I'll provide embedded Sleepyhead images in the next couple of posts.

Second night (3/28 ... last night) seemed to go well, although I went to bed late (had some work stuff to do). Looks like I had several leakage events.

Observations and Questions:

1. The time hack on the charts is incorrect ... I set my Sleepyhead profile to eastern time, so I'm guessing the Resmed unit is incorrectly set (?). Is there a way to set the time on the Resmed unit?

2. The Resmed unit is set to CPAP mode. While it apparently works fine (AHI score has been low), is setting the machine to APAP a better therapy mode?

3. Since AHI is so low, I'm guessing the pressure setting of 8 appears "optimal" ...?

4. Lots of leakage events, 2nd night looks like crazy high leakage. I took the hose/headset/pillow setup from my (old) unit, and attached it to the rental unit. If I make the headgear tighter, it will be too tight and I'll get a headache. Any advice on pillows versus other masks?

(I'm glad to have the data to observe what's happening while I'm asleep!).

I look forward to the opinions of those with more experience/expertise.

Cheers-
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Night 1 Charts
[Image: 8EnEWiv.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Second Night Charts
Leak rate appears to be a big problem in this chart. Oy!

[Image: HJaXjOj.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 ... Set to APAP (or not)?
I'm only new, but I'd go onto auto with 5-20 and see where the unit went, you are doing well on 8, you may do as well on less?
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Looks like you are mouth breathing.  See your leak graph where it is shaded, and the flat tops suggest mouth breathing.  You may want to try a chin strap or a soft cervical collar to keep your mouth from dropping.

Your thread title suggests you may want to try an auto setting.  Since you seem to be doing well on a straight pressure of 8, I would set 6cm minimum and 10 max.

If you start to see more events, then raise the min to 7.  Just a suggestion if you were to try auto.  You may find you do better with a straight pressure setting.

Work on your mouth breathing.  If that continues for a good portion of the night, that can disrupt sleep, plus your AHI reading would be suspect.

Tongue seal technique:
Place your tongue to the roof of your mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth, then suck upwards.  This places your tongue at an optimal position and seals the back of throat so that no air can escape.  This takes time and practice to master, but worth it.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Opalrose:
Thank you ... I was reading a couple of other threads and the idea of mouth breathing "being a leak" was a bit of a revelation.

Not sure I can use the tongue seal method ... I've been on a CPAP since 2007 and this is the first time this has come to light - which is precisely the reason I wanted to try a modern data-logging unit.

I'm going to order up a chin strap as soon as I can.

Any recommendations or leads on commercial products? Or am I relegated to homebrew stuff?

Regards-
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2017, 07:22 AM)ajack Wrote: I'm only new, but I'd go onto auto with 5-20 and see where the unit went, you are doing well on 8, you may do as well on less?

ajack:
Thanks for your thoughts. I think I need to fix the mouth breathing part before I start fiddling with other variables.

I always knew I was a knuckle-dragging, mouth-breathing troglodyte! (lol)

-Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave,

Read my Mask Primer in my sig.  There is a bit on Mouth Brathing.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2017, 08:03 AM)dosco Wrote: Opalrose:
Thank you ... I was reading a couple of other threads and the idea of mouth breathing "being a leak" was a bit of a revelation.

Not sure I can use the tongue seal method ... I've been on a CPAP since 2007 and this is the first time this has come to light - which is precisely the reason I wanted to try a modern data-logging unit.

I'm going to order up a chin strap as soon as I can.

Any recommendations or leads on commercial products? Or am I relegated to homebrew stuff?

Regards-
Dave

Mabye someone else can chime in on chin straps. I threw mine into the next zip code Smile once I mastered the tongue technique.

Also, consider the "soft" cervical collar. Amazon sells many sizes.

Be sure to measure from the bottom of your chin to the base of neck, and then measure the circumference of your neck and add a couple inches in length to adjust. It should fit loose, but just hold your jaw up a bit so it doesn't drop.

Like choosing a mask, it will be trial and error.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2017, 08:11 AM)bonjour Wrote: Dave,

Read my Mask Primer in my sig.  There is a bit on Mouth Brathing.

Fred

Fred:
Thanks. Will study it closely.

-Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 432 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,420 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,149 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 587 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.