Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 ... Set to APAP (or not)?
RE: Resmed S9 ... Set to APAP (or not)?
(03-29-2017, 08:18 AM)OpalRose Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 08:03 AM)dosco Wrote: Opalrose:
Thank you ... I was reading a couple of other threads and the idea of mouth breathing "being a leak" was a bit of a revelation.

Not sure I can use the tongue seal method ... I've been on a CPAP since 2007 and this is the first time this has come to light - which is precisely the reason I wanted to try a modern data-logging unit.

I'm going to order up a chin strap as soon as I can.

Any recommendations or leads on commercial products? Or am I relegated to homebrew stuff?

Regards-
Dave

Mabye someone else can chime in on chin straps.  I threw mine into the next zip code   Smile  once  I mastered the tongue technique.  

Also, consider the "soft" cervical collar.  Amazon sells many sizes.

Be sure to measure from the bottom of your chin to the base of neck, and then measure the circumference of your neck and add a couple inches in length to adjust.  It should fit loose, but just hold your jaw up a bit so it doesn't drop.

Like choosing a mask, it will be trial and error.

Opalrose:
Many thanks.

Need to study the problem and consider the options.

Regards-
Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
After some thought, I'm considering moving back to a traditional mask. Way back when I started with CPAP, the mask was a touch too small and made the bridge of my nose sore. I tried taping my mouth shut with 3M Blenderm tape ... it wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great. Not sure I'll like the chinstrap.

Dunno. Still pondering.

EDIT: I just downloaded my SD card, and the leak rate (despite taping my lips shut) is worse than ever. Going to pull the trigger on a mask.

-Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: dIG7gES.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
You can see from the chart I only used the machine for about 2 hours. The tape threw me off, I woke up and tried to force myself back to sleep - no joy. Removed the tape and the headgear, then went back to "sleep." I could tell by how I felt this morning that I didn't sleep well.

-Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
I've set the rental ResMed S9 unit to APAP mode, 6 cm min and 10 cm maximum. I'm interested to try it out.

I ordered a Fischer and Paykel Simplus FFM.

I may try the chinstrap at some point, but I have some additional concerns that I think warrant the FFM ... when I get head/sinus colds, breathing through my nose is extremely difficult - FFM should fix that.

Wish me luck!

-Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
I altered the settings of the machine by setting it to APAP. Since my CPAP therapy pressure is 8 cm, I elected to set the APAP to a range of 6 cm and 10 cm. Interesting to see the "average" pressure (I use the term loosely) is about 7 cm.

This chart illustrates a problem I've had ever since I started PAP therapy ... I wake up and remove my mask/pillow.

The other interesting bit is the high leak rate, apparently mouth breathing (I use nasal pillows), at ~3AM. Argh. The new FFM I ordered should arrive today, hopefully that will immediately help. If not, chinstrap will be next.

[Image: 3mbovNO.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
The new FFM arrived about 20 minutes ago ... since I'm still in my home office, I fetched it, unpacked it, and followed the fitting instructions. Seems more comfy than the FFM I had way back in 2008.

I entered the setup menu in the Resmed S9 and changed the settings for "Facemask" and "Tube." I noticed that it was setup incorrectly from the supplier (my fault for not checking) ... it had "nasal" instead of "nasal pillows" ... I wonder if that contributed to any of the leakage issues I was experiencing (doubtful since it was mouth breathing, but you never know).

I also lay in my bed and tried it with the maching operating ... I adjusted the EPR to "2" which seemed comfortable (1 was too much of a struggle against the pressure, 3 seemed odd with no pressure).

We'll see what happens.

-Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dave!  I've recommended this chin strap to others before too.  It's not cheap but apparently it stops mouth breathing as well as lip leaks.  However, unlike taping you can still breath through your mouth if you really tried.  I have not tried it myself but it looks intriguing and does have some good write-ups about it.  Might be worth a shot, if you end up deciding to try the pillows again.  If you stick with your FFM you would not need it I would think.  Anyhow, here's the link:   <Link removed> Search for sleep apnea solutions inc

Oh and the nasal vs nasal pillows setting wouldn't affect your leaks, I'm fairly confident about that.

Good luck on your first night with it and let us know how it goes!  Make sure to post your Sleepyhead results.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave,

I would recommend the Philips Resperonics Premium chin strap. I would also recommend that you ignore the way the sales people have them mounted on the non-talking heads. Read the instructions that come with the PR Premium and especially pay attention to their illustration.

With some practice you probably can use the tongue seal method. People practice it during the day hoping the it will become a habit for their body all night. It may sound kind of flaky but it does work for some and, of course, there are others, like me, for whom it does not work. You might be lucky.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Aaaarrrrgggh!!
First night with the new F&P mask was a fail. Short story is that I'll probably have to do some work during the day with it to train myself to become comfortable with the new mask ... that, or I'm going to need a chinstrap.

Longer story...

The night before last was a pretty bad night's sleep, and by 9PM I was wiped out. My wife is a teacher, and went up to bed to grade papers, so I sat in out living room chair to kill a few minutes and fell asleep. 9:30 and I awoke, and went to bed. Put on the mask, and three things became clear ... the mask tends to leak a bit at the chin, if I tried to nose breathe the amount of warm humid air (from the exhale) was uncomfortable, and finally, when the APAP ramped from EPR to full pressure the force on my face was noticeable and a bit distracting. I changed the machine EPR to "1" which seemed to help the hot air problem, but the leak on the chin got worse/more annoying. I started to get frustrated, especially because this was supposed to be the 'magic bullet,' which made me more awake (an immature outlook, I know). I tried to relax but couldn't, which made the vicious cycle worse, and I couldn't fall asleep. I took the mask off, and decided to "go to sleep" (without the mask) to chill out a bit, figuring I'd wake up later and I could try again. I woke up later and tried again with the same result. I detached the mask from the hose, got the pillows out, plugged that hose in, and reset the machine to "pillows" and "slimline hose." I immediately fell asleep.

Super frustrating.

Not the end of the world, though (got to have some perspective). It's OK if the mask doesn't work, and it's OK if I need to spend some time training myself.

It does remind me why I went to pillows in the first place.

Anyhow, chart on the next post.

And I'm going to start looking around for chinstraps now.

<sigh>

-Dave
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 369 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 571 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 429 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,416 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 586 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.