Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 ... Set to APAP (or not)?
RE: Resmed S9 ... Set to APAP (or not)?
Chart from last night. Interesting leakage numbers on the face mask when I was trying to get bedded down. Hard to say of the mask leaks more than the pillows, as I was fiddling with the mask to get comfortable.

Question: should I consider setting the machine to CPAP with zero EPR and then trying the mask?

[Image: HG5NYAS.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Last night chart. Weird, although I had a sneaking feeling that what I did might "confuse" the software.

My wife left the house at 5:45-ish-PM to run some errands, and I was feeling  bit drowsy. Also, I thought it might be a good idea to try the FFM during the day to "train" myself. So I went up to bed, and refitted the FFM mask. I noticed when I first fit the F&P mask that standing up, with the mask plugged into the Resmed machine, there was little leakage from the chin. So I decided to build a "wedge" of pillows and lay on them so that my head was elevated. I did so, turned on the Resmed unit, and proceeded to fall asleep with no problem. I slept for an hour, and the mask did not appear to leak from the chin at all.

I woke up about an hour later and turned off the machine, and got back to doing things around the house. I did wonder if the data logging would get screwed up from this experiment, and you can see from the chart that the answer is "yes."

I went to bed around 11:00 PM and put the mask on. It was less frustrating than the day before, but I had to rearrange the pillow pile (I had borrowed one of my wife's pillows and she wanted it back) ... I'm not sure if that was the root cause, but I couldn't fall asleep. I switched to the nasal pillows again (I had to reprogram the machine's settings from FFM to pillows ... maybe I needed to unplug it and plug it back in?) and then conked out. I woke up at 7:30AM with the pillows still on my face and as far as I know the machine operated all night long ... so I have no idea why the chart is so ganked with a giant gap in the "middle" from 00:30 to 05:20 (maybe because I fiddled with the settings?).

Anyways, I think I had a good night's rest, and I'm making some progress with the F&P FFM ... and it's good to know I can switch back to the pillows if there is an issue.

Regards-
Dave

[Image: yyhyIWF.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-31-2017, 11:16 AM)dosco Wrote: The new FFM arrived about 20 minutes ago ... since I'm still in my home office, I fetched it, unpacked it, and followed the fitting instructions. Seems more comfy than the FFM I had way back in 2008.

I entered the setup menu in the Resmed S9 and changed the settings for "Facemask" and "Tube." I noticed that it was setup incorrectly from the supplier (my fault for not checking)
Not your fault. That's the job of the DME, and sounds like they had a sloppy go at it. 

It frustrates me that they lock us out of these settings, and yet they don't always have the settings set up well.

(04-02-2017, 07:05 AM)dosco Wrote: Anyways, I think I had a good night's rest, and I'm making some progress with the F&P FFM ... and it's good to know I can switch back to the pillows if there is an issue.
Yes. I love having a different kind of mask to fall back on when needed. (I use a DreamWear nasal mask and love it, but I like having an Amara View FFM on hand if I just can't make my mouth and tongue cooperate.)

Stick with it. Keep plugging away!  You're doing great and you'll get it figured out.

P.S. I'm impressed your wife can grade papers in bed. When I was teaching, that was the *last place* I'd grade papers... sleeping was too enticing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Meet with ENT Today
Howdy all. Below is the latest Sleepyhead chart. Had dinner at a friend's place, by the time I got home I didn't want to fiddle with the mask and resetting the Resmed unit ... so I used the pillows. Seemed to work OK, although it looks like there were 3 reasonably significant mouth breathing events.

Hydrangea: I once tried explaining to my wife that the bed was for sleeping and fooling around ... not work or "talking." That was like 20 years ago, and I still haven't persuaded her. Ah well.

I meet with the ENT in about 2 hours. Hopefully things will work out in my favor. We'll see.

[Image: fmRf7KN.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
dosco, looks like things are improving. Leaks are better too.
Let us know how your doc appointment goes.

I have no idea what's up with the graph from yesterday.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad to see improvements. Yay!
Post Reply Post Reply
Doctor's visit seemed to go reasonably well, my ENT is expanding his practice and he hired a new doc. Younger guy, I talked with him for a bit and showed him the Sleepyhead charts. Since the original study was done about 10 years ago, he wants me to do a "take home" study, which I'm OK with. He agreed that a data-logging machine was a good idea.

Last night I couldn't fall asleep with the pillows on, so I took the headgear off and went to sleep. Woke up around 0200 and put it on. Not good as I expect I had several events without the machine, and today I got home a bit early from work and was exhausted, I took a nap. Sometimes it happens, it's just part of the deal.

[Image: VCna6IY.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Frustrating!!
I really hate it when this happens to my sleep pattern ... have a hard time falling asleep, don't put on the pillows, wake up at some random time in the middle of the night and put it on, feel tired all day. Argh.

Another bad night's sleep with poor PAP compliance. I'm embarrassed to post this chart.

Wife was up late again grading papers. I should've gone downstairs into the spare bedroom. Maybe next time.

-Dave

[Image: 07clEcZ.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
No need to be embarrassed. It happens to many people including myself.

The thing now is to work out what is causing the problem and address it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the mask last night, I slept for a teeny bit then woke up. Decided to switch to the pillows instead of "fighting" the mask ... woke up at zero-dark-thirty and took the pillows off. Looking at the chart, I had a significant mouth breathing episode that apparently woke me up. I slept for a bit, woke up, and put the pillows back on. I feel reasonably well today, especially compared to yesterday, but today's another long day (will be leaving work at 8:30 PM and then 1.5h drive home)  so we'll see.

[Image: FFesJlt.png]
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 86 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 362 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 556 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 426 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,410 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,147 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser
  APAP->Bi-level Titrating sleepymf 8 585 03-11-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: sleepymf

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.