Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 Settings
Gross 
Resmed S9 Settings
Hi,
Forgive me, I have given up searching.
1) I would like to learn all the details about settings like Set Pressure, EPR, Climate control, Smart Start... .basically all the options you would find on the Device Settings page of the ResScan software and what or how the options presented effect the CPAP performance.

Hopefully the image worked.

2) Also, for some reason the memory card is causing errors when I try to suck the data off of it. The CPAP also asks If I want to erase the card, and if I say no - it errors out and tells me to remove it.

Can anyone give me a direct link to this information?
Thanks
Kevin

PS. Sorry if this is opening a new thread on an old idea. Searching for "EPR" is not possible "EPR Settings" search is useless.... etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 Settings
According to your attachment your pressure is 4? That seems rather low to me. What did the doc or sleep clinic order? The resmed will default to a starting ramp pressure of 4, and a period of time over which it will increase to the prescribed pressure. In my case that time period is set to 15 minutes. Yours appears to be set to 0.

Typically I believe that the S9 should be set on auto, with EPR off. The minimum/maximum pressure should have been provided to you or set up for you when you got the machine. Again, in my case which is only right for me, my minimum is 10 and maximum is 15. The S9 will perc along happily in that range, typically about 12 or 13.

The memory card problem is a known windows 8 problem. Just allow the Resmed to reformat it and begin anew. You will still have all the summary info on the machine and the detailed info will begin to be written to the card again. After 7 days the card will contain all the detail stuff it can hold, and the oldest day will fall off as each new day is added.

To avoid windows 8 from screwing with your card, be sure to set the "lock" on it before you put it in your computer. Then unlock it when you put it back in the Resmed. There is a procedure to "fix" the card by deleting a file on the computer when this happens, but it's just simpler to forget it and let the Resmed sort everything out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi kyork,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
My elite is set for the following
Pressure: 12 (found in clinical settings)(and it is my prescription pressure)
EPR: full-time (found in clinical settings)
EPR level: patient (found in clinical settings)
Ramp time: 15 minutes (patient settings)
EPR Inhale: Med (clinical settings)
EPR level: 3 (patient settings)
Tube heat: 80
Humidity: Auto
Smart Start: Disabled (clinical settings)(didn't like it and the machine actually started up on its own once...dont ask me how)

With my machine set this way it feels like natural breathing to me using a simplus oral nasal mask. With the inhale set at medium I don't get aerophagia like I used to because I think set on fast was forcing air a little too quickly. My AHI has consistently been less than 1.0 and most nights 0.0. Resmed makes a good machine, once you get all the settings in harmony it's even better.

Good luck
Post Reply Post Reply
You want Sleep Quality set to ON so you get usage, AHI, leak information displayed on the machine screen sleep report/SD card otherwise if set on Usage (attachment) only usage hours are displayed

Post Reply Post Reply
My S9 is set:
Pressure: 10-18 (my prescription pressure is 15)
EPR: Off (Couldn't stand it)
EPR level: NA
Ramp time: 5 minutes (patient settings)
Tube heat: Not using heated tubing since it does not come in 10 foot lengths
Humidity: 3
Smart Start: Enabled (Great feature, especially if you get up in the middle of the night)
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2014, 05:09 PM)PollCat Wrote: Smart Start: Enabled (Great feature, especially if you get up in the middle of the night)
SmartStart does not work with pressure less than 7 using nasal pilows, OP CPAP pressure 4 (see attachment) Coffee

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2014, 01:05 PM)kyork Wrote: Hi,
Forgive me, I have given up searching.
1) I would like to learn all the details about settings like Set Pressure, EPR, Climate control, Smart Start... .basically all the options you would find on the Device Settings page of the ResScan software and what or how the options presented effect the CPAP performance.
The Set Pressure setting is the therapeutic pressure setting prescribed by the doc. You can't base what your Set Pressure setting should be by comparing it to others.

It is unusual, but not unheard of, for a person to only need 4 cm of pressure. So it's worth double checking that that is the pressure on your script.

Right now both RAMP and EPR are not available to you because your pressure is already set to 4cm, which is the minimum pressure the machine can deliver.

If your Set Pressure number were higher, then RAMP and EPR would be available as comfort settings. The Ramp allows a user to start the night at a low pressure (typically 4cm) and the machine will slowly increase the pressure until the Set Pressure is reached. EPR allows a user to have a somewhat lower pressure on exhalation than on inhalation. But the exhalation pressure is never allowed to go any lower than 4cm, and that's why you don't have the option of EPR.

ClimateControl allows you to use a heated hose on your machine. You set the temperature you want the air to be, and the machine will automatically adjust the humidity to keep the air in the tube at 80% relative humidity and at the desired air temperature.

Smart Start does not work well at pressures below 7cm and it does not work well with nasal pillows masks. When Smart Start is turned ON and the machine is used at an appropriate pressure and with an appropriate mask, the machine will turn itself on after it detects a few inhalations and the machine will turn itself off when it does not detect any breathing for several minutes. Me? I don't see the point---hitting the big ON/OFF button is just not that big of an issue for me.

Quote:2) Also, for some reason the memory card is causing errors when I try to suck the data off of it. The CPAP also asks If I want to erase the card, and if I say no - it errors out and tells me to remove it.
Are you using a Windows 8 computer or a Macintosh to try to download the data? If so, you absolutely have to remember to lock the card before putting it into your computer. Those operating systems write hidden files to the card when it is inserted into the computer and the S9 does not like those extra files.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2014, 01:05 PM)kyork Wrote: Can anyone give me a direct link to this information?
Thanks
Kevin
The clinical manual have the information, available via email, scroll down to 'how to ask for a manual via email'
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

ClimateLine user instructions http://www.resmed.com/au/assets/document...lo_eng.pdf

Post Reply Post Reply
oh your right zonk, i forgot about the sleep quality to be set to on, but yes you would want that
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Oscar/ Dialing in Settings / ResMed 11 Jintyo76 2 308 01-10-2024, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Jintyo76
  Resmed ASV settings for mild sleep apnea and UARS? Gettingbetter33 3 478 01-10-2024, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  VAUTO Settings vs. CPAP Settings MrIvanDrago 9 791 11-18-2023, 10:29 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 8 15,736 11-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Document request: ResMed humidifier settings rpierce 2 505 10-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Can anyone give me a quick rundown on the ResMed 'For Her' settings? Robert89 2 481 09-16-2023, 11:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question Question on settings on Resmed S9 nbdsv96 1 444 06-12-2023, 04:37 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.