Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 Shut off
Resmed S9 Shut off
Hello. CPAP person - 2 years - using Resmed S9 = everything's been perfect until now.

Last night, first time, while sleeping, woke up to a sudden feeling of no air.
Machine had stopped pushing air, checked water level, all fine and turned back on.
Happened 7-9 minutes later, again, but went back on about 5 seconds later.
Repeated this process 3x.

Got up, looked at the machine and it said to phone supplier for new filters.
But those messages are often by date which dont match me and the filter, albeit a bit old, is about 4 months but seems pretty good.
Took spray air tin I use for computers and blew the heck out of the filter anyhow.
(picking up new ones tomorrow x 12)

Back to bed, all was fine.
Hours later just as I was waking up, it did it again.
5 seconds later, turned back on so I stayed in bed to watch it and it was fine again.

1) Anyone please know what the heck is happening?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 Shut off
Those filter warnings are reminders that can be set by a supplier. They do not indicate the state of the filter; nor would they stop the machine.

It sounds like some component is going out of spec with heat. First suspect is usually the power brick. Make sure it's placed where air can get to it.
Check cords and plugs. Unplug AC line and let the machine sit for 30 minutes. That gives capacitors a chance to discharge; and when powered back on, it's like rebooting your computer.

If problems continue, remove the water tank; push the latch on the back of the humidifier/blower unit and pull them apart. Hook the 22mm hose directly to the blower unit. If it works without problems, then suspect the humidifier.

If all else fails, it may be defective. Check with the provider to see if there's any warrantee remaining. There are some places that do repairs on the Supplier list. But, generally it's less expensive to replace with a new unit.

BTW -- which S9 do you have -- look near the power switch for words like elite, autoset, adapt, et cetera.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just looked up my purchase date. 2 and a half years for the Resmed S9.
Short life span?
Post Reply Post Reply
They are designed to last a minimum of five years.  But all it takes is one bad component to make it not work.
Post Reply Post Reply
Autoset is the one I am referring to.
One I use in bed.

I do as well have an S9 escape.
Keep that beside my sofa when I try to watch TV laying down on the sofa.
But barely used so I can use that in an emergency.

Prefer the Autoset as I read my daily charts.

I will double check to see if your instructions work.
Now, I am reminded that when I first checked it, there was a slight puddle of water below the water tray.
I wiped that dry with kleenex but it happened later, as i explained.
No idea how that water got there though.

Thank you.
Will add to this after tonight, once I know if that worked or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
S9 Escape uses the same power supply. (Check the Wattage just to make sure.)
So, you have a spare power supply to swap in.

Be sure not to overfill the water tank. Water is only a problem if it manages to get into the blower unit as that's where the flow and pressure sensors are located. A little in the bottom of the H5i is not of itself an issue. But do replace that tank a couple of times a year. Also, there is an O-ring at the outlet of the H5i that makes contact with the tank outlet port.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Did all of the above, lay down to watch TV for an hour with it on and its perfect again.
Think you were right and it was the power supply.

I noticed it wasn't plugged in the wall directly but a computer strip.
Put it back into the wall and so far, great again.
I thought a few times over the past week, just briefly that it seemed a bit less powerful than usual.
Thought I was imagining it.
But after doing the above, I noticed it again and at least for that hour, my readings, were back to AHI 0.00.

Will post if it happens again but I think that fixed it.
Thanks.
Was not looking forward to having to purchase a new one so soon. /fingers crossed
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air building up in your mouth: where does it go if you tape your mouth shut? Albigensian 14 3,250 05-30-2023, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Norman2195
Question ResMed 11 Shut off vs Auto Start/Stop Greg Schultz 1 994 12-30-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Leak rate issue while taping lisp shut tight. Phil7 2 638 09-03-2022, 12:24 AM
Last Post: clownbell
  Problems since cpap auto shut off seamusv 17 1,726 01-31-2022, 10:33 PM
Last Post: DaveL
  WTH? Last night something happened that caused my machine to shut itself off? cathyf 50 3,443 07-07-2021, 05:37 PM
Last Post: cathyf
  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto - Auto Shut Off FifthAvenue 3 1,404 03-22-2021, 12:46 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Mouth Shut but Still have dry mouth/throat jmr8749 4 1,521 02-23-2021, 04:09 PM
Last Post: sheepless

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.