Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 VPAP TX - accessing data
RE: Resmed S9 CPAP TX - accessing data
What would be the purpose of such a machine? Surely you can't titrate yourself while asleep. Does it record data differently than the way a normal bi-level ASV already records the data?
Post Reply Post Reply
The machine is designed for use in a sleep test where a technician is constantly monitoring your sleep and adjusting pressures according to the titration protocols. It has multiple modes, from ASVAuto down to fixed pressure CPAP.

I've never heard of somebody using one for therapy but I suppose there's no reason you can't, provided you can capture and interpret the data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Precisely!

If you own one of these machines it is like owning each and every type of machine that Resmed makes in a SINGLE machine

Ideally I wanted to avoid the TxLink over to a PC and just use it as the mother of all machines.

That's why I wanted to know if anyone had reverse-engineered the direct connection into the back of the machine to avoid TXLink etc.

However, here's how I plan to use it..

1) set myself up as a patient
2) Choose the titration algorithm (eg ASVAuto)
3) Hit the start button (and the record button)
4) Go to sleep
5) Stop the pseudo-titration in the morning
6) Get the recordings
7) See if I can reverse-engineer the recorded data to input into OSCAR
8) If I can't.... just use the inbuilt data analysis of the titration software to examine the data natively in the Resmed world

If I had an inline USB Protocol Sniffer I could easily reverse-engineer the control and data protocols to make this work without all the extra hardware.
However I won't be doing that... I just thought someone may have beaten me to it.

So once I get this setup I will have each and every therapy mode available for testing without needing to buy 5 or 6 different machines.

Here are all the modes it supports in the attached image...
I guess I'm missing "Autoset for Her" but I think I got all the others.
But you get the point.. right?

All these people who start on a CPAP brick then argue with the DME to get an Autoset then fight with insurance to get a BIPAP then fight again to get an ASV.
Similarly, some people are debating if ASV or ST might be the better solution based on very specific breathing patterns and/or medical conditions.
Once I'm set up...I can do all that in 90 seconds or less.

I just like thinking outside the box and I'm a bit of a geek. :-)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Auto set for her is called “soft” in the Comfort, Response setting. If you have the AutoSet model with the response feature.
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-26-2019, 09:40 PM)Osiris357 Wrote: Auto set for her is called “soft” in the Comfort, Response setting. If you have the AutoSet model with the response feature.

That is not correct, On the autoset for her there is the for her mode, and the Autoset mode. The Autoset mode has two response settings one of which is soft, this soft response setting is not the same as the for her setting.

As thi equipment is based on the S9 hardware it does not have the for her mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the clarification. Just read this also.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article...rt=classic
And this
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...orithm.pdf
Download OSCAR <——— Click
Post Reply Post Reply
The TxLink hardware arrived last night.

I've now got the titration system set up and it seems to work fine.
One interesting observation, the firmware in these machines is upgradable.

Earlier I said that "AutoSet For Her" was missing,
When I upgraded the firmware with the latest copy (using the utility in ResMed EasyCare Tx) I got the missing therapy mode.

Nice!

Post Reply Post Reply
Reverse Engineering the Data Files from ResMed EasyCare Tx Software

If any developer is interested in writing a parser for these titration files to allow importing into OSCAR please let me know.
I can generate more realistic data for you as the days/weeks/months go by.

When performing a titration, we can save the recorded data into a folder on disk.
Conceptually this is similar to recording data onto an SDCard but the files are slightly different

There are TWO important data files generated (and some superfluous extra files)

<PatientName><Date>EVE.edf
<PatientName><Date>DAT.edf

EVE - Contains events
Because this is a titration environment we can have "events" that are not typical in OSCAR
Start Titration
Change Titration Modes
Change Titration Settings within a Mode
Stop Titration

I would imagine that the standard apnea and hypopnea events are also reported in this file but I only did a 3 minute pseudo test to create dummy data
Obviously there were no true apneas during that test

DAT - Contains all of the graph data that would normally appear in BRP and PLD files on an SDCard

I don't have an oximeter module on this S9 VPAP Tx machine.  If I DID I'm not sure if the data would go into the DAT file or if a separate SAD file would be created.

I used the freeware Polyman EDF file viewer to look inside these files
https://www.edfplus.info/downloads/

The attached images show...
1) Polyman graphs which are very much like OSCAR graphs
2) Diagnostic showing what is contained in an EVE file
3) Diagnostic showing what is contained in a DAT file

Post Reply Post Reply
zoom image

Post Reply Post Reply
I did a true run using the S9 VPAP Tx last night in VAuto mode

Just confirming that..

1) Events go into the EVE.edf file
2) Flow Data etc goes into the DAT.edf file

Now... If I could just get OSCAR to parse these files I'd be all set.
It would also make OSCAR very useful for titration sleep labs too.

I can visualize the data using Polyman (Open Source free viewer) in the meantime.

I've attached an (edited) xls file image showing some of the events being reported in the EVE.edf file after exporting to csv format.
I hid a bunch of rows because I was getting lots of clustered CAs... I think I need to drop the PS level to stop CO2 washout.

Notice:
1) Standard events like CA, OA, UA and hypopneas
2) Titration events like "Start therapy", "Mode and settings changed" , "End therapy" etc

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,457 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Help Interpreting Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto Data fracturedhibernation 1 280 02-23-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR says: "Resmed Airsense 10 does not record detailed data"! Really? PappaJoe 3 523 02-14-2024, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 514 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
  Does Resmed even ask for your permission before uploading your data ? S. Manz 18 2,130 12-23-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Chainsawgod
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,602 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 844 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.