Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 - overstating hours slept
Resmed S9 - overstating hours slept
Quick question.  Slightly weird behavior on an oldish machine.

I've got an S9 autoset (purchased new 6 or 7 years ago) with a little over 4000 hours on it.  It was my backup first (used a PRS-1 up until the recall) and then main machine for the past year or so.  I sleep a pretty consistent 6-7 hours and my AHIs are almost always under 1.  

Starting about a week back, the S9 began to report sleep hours of 13 per day.  Clearly something's wrong. The data on the SD card seemed to get messed up too.  Thought it was just an SD card problem, so took that out figuring I'd just replace it.  But even without the SD card inserted, the machine is still reporting 13 hours of sleep.  The AHI numbers are pretty much the same as what they've been in the past.

I reset the data once already, but maybe I need to do that again. 

So, has anyone seen this before? 

Of course, it could be time to just get a new machine too.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 - overstating hours slept
It sounds like the clock battery has died. It's difficult to replace, unfortunately.
To check, look at the date and time in the clinicians menu.
Additionally, make sure the machine is plugged in at all times.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!  That really could be it.  

The first time when I thought it was the memory card I had to reset the date back to present (and erase the data first) because the machine had gone back to like 2008. Just re-checked and the durn thing had done it again.  

And, I always unplug it during the day (have cats, and figure they'd surely turn it on when I'm not looking).  So your observation just totally makes sense.

Now have to figure out whether I should risk taking it apart to replace the battery since I don't have a backup machine at the moment. 

I appreciate the quick feedback!
Post Reply Post Reply
I just wanted to give a short update in case anyone else experienced something similar.

It was, as pholynyk suggested, a battery problem.  I went ahead and looked to see how hard it would be to take apart an S9, and though it's a slight hassle (you need a torx T10 screwdriver, FYI, and long tweezers), it wasn't that bad.  There's a Youtube video ("ResMed S9 Motor Replacement Tutorial - Motor Life Exceeded") that takes you through the process.  I didn't to take it apart completely, obviously, since I wasn't replacing the motor, but the video was super helpful anyway.  

So, if you need to replace the button battery in a Redmed S9 to get the clock working correctly again, it's not too hard if you don't mind tinkering with stuff.  The battery was a CR2032, by the way.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 289 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 475 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  Slept fully twice in 3 months since starting CPAP for CSA redking2436 13 674 02-18-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Total machine use hours? milogurd 1 278 02-03-2024, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Nightynite
  Why do I wake up after a few hours sleep? John Reston 6 493 01-28-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Consistently Waking Up After ~3 Hours on CPAP sammyg7241 2 439 01-20-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.