Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost.
Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost.
My Resmed S9 CPAP started making a squealing noise. When I checked it had over 17k hours and has been in service for 6 years. I just received a new Airsense 10 Autoset and used it for the first time last night.

I see that I can get a new blower motor repair done for the S9 for about $200. Has anyone repaired their S9? Is it worth repairing to have as a backup?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 repair is it worth the cost.
I think you'd be better off buying a used one that someone hardly used on craigslist.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Almost sure to be the motor bearing, take it to bits and use light iol.
With that amount of hours it would be better to buy a second hand machine.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with others. With that amount of use, you are better shopping off Craigslist or Offerup for a backup. You can easily get an S9 for between $250 and $350 with hardly any hours.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on getting 17K hours out out or your CPAP. Would you spend $10,000 on a 10 year old car with high mileage to keep it running? That is the same as spending $200 on a 6 year old CPAP with !7K hours on it. Your answer should be obvious unless you have a romantic relationship with this machine that served you well. $200 is about 1/3 of the cost of a brand new, zero hour Airsense 10 Autoset. If your S9 is a fixed Elite CPAP, then it isn't even close. Repair costs are higher than the salvage.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So, does insurance not help pay the cost of a replacement?
Post Reply Post Reply
gsykes, everyone's insurance is different, but most will replace a machine on a 5-year interval, or non-repairable malfunction. Your macine is due for replacement under most policies. It is going to be a lot easier if you have any documentation of your last sleep study and Rx, even if it was a long time ago. Your primary doctor can write the replacement script (mine does). Just ask him to write a renewal for a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, then find out what DME (suppliers) are in-network for your insurance. Your insurance customer service or online site should have information you can use. Assuming you have the same insurance as you had for the original machine, this should be a snap. If you have new insurance, you may have to document your diagnosis and prescription.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-08-2018, 03:54 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: gsykes, everyone's insurance is different, but most will replace a machine on a 5-year interval, or non-repairable malfunction.  Your macine is due for replacement under most policies.  It is going to be a lot easier if you have any documentation of your last sleep study and Rx, even if it was a long time ago.  Your primary doctor can write the replacement script (mine does).  Just ask him to write a renewal for a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset, then find out what DME (suppliers) are in-network for your insurance.  Your insurance customer service or online site should have information you can use.  Assuming you have the same insurance as you had for the original machine, this should be a snap.  If you have new insurance, you may have to document your diagnosis and prescription.

I have new insurance from when I first got my CPAP. I got mine in 2013 when I was still working my former job. Don't know about my current insurance. I'll have to read up on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hoser,
you could take that 250 and put a bit more with it and get another AirSense 10 AutoSet for a backup machine, unless you just really like the S9 AutoSet..
Good luck on your decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I got an Autoset S9 recently on a local online auction for $26! It only had a couple of hundred hours on it. The usually go for about $80 on the auctions and $100-$150 on Craigs list locally. Doubt it would be worthwhile to pay $200 to get one repaired.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 909 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree
  [Equipment] resmed apap repair sleeper2460 4 513 11-24-2023, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Nightynite
Money [CPAP] Repair Z1 or purchase Pilot-24 Lite Battery CJH1968 3 595 08-13-2023, 08:10 AM
Last Post: sauerkraut
  Internal cpap repair parts mzipp 8 5,581 08-10-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: sms832
Sad Is $6,800 reasonable cost for a sleep study? Hrapovik 8 907 06-20-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: larrykay
  Low cost 12v - 24v power supply for SEFAM S.Box Kingsway 1 762 05-29-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Kingsway

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.