Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 setting problem
Resmed S9 setting problem
This is my first post on this forum. I' am 48 years old men and living in Belgium, near to Brussels.
I am on CPAP treatment since December 2012. I'm having a great success in the treatment of AF(Atrial Fibrillation) with the use of my CPAP machine.
In a matter of weeks the pressure on my chest was gone! My carotids previous always agitated and felt like a thick guitar string hitting my throat...it's gone! The rhythm and blood pressure are much much better.

My problem:
A week ago I went for a second sleep study in the hospital. The nurse changed some settings on my Resmed S9 Elite machine and since that day AHI and some symptoms reoccurred. I called the hospital and ask for the settings but the nurse answered that nothing has been changed. Otherwise I installed Sleepyhead and noticed some changes since the previous settings.

Previous settings :
Channel Min Med 95% Max
PressurePressure (cmH20)
Avg: 6.98 5.12 6.07 6.93 7.00

EPAPExpiratory Pressure (cmH20)
Avg: 6.95 4.00 6.00 7.00 7.00

New settings:
Channel Min Med 95% Max
PressurePressure (cmH20) Avg: 7.00 7.00 7.00 7.00 -1000000000.00

EPAPExpiratory Pressure (cmH20)

Avg: 4.00 4.00 4.00 4.00 -1000000000.00

Notice the new max -1000000000.00 .....?
Notice EPAP pressure 4.00 previous 4.00 - 7.00

Could someone please explain the difference in settings, how can I adjust to the previous settings.

THX!

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 setting problem
Hi SilverSleeper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang tight and someone will be able to help you with your question.
Best of luck to you on getting your settings figured out and with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
At first glance it looks like they had the machine on auto mode then switched to straight CPAP but you've got the Elite which doesn't do the auto mode.

Try to unplug the machine, wait a bit, then plug it back in.

Has your AHI increased? Or just the symptoms?
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
do you have copies of your sleep study
you can view the setting in the clinical menu or on the machine screen, press both silver buttons for 3 seconds and turn the dial to "view setting"

here the instructions shown in pictures and video
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-s9-cpap-setup

S9 clinical manual is available via email, scroll down to the bottom of the page to ask for the manual
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2013, 04:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: At first glance it looks like they had the machine on auto mode then switched to straight CPAP but you've got the Elite which doesn't do the auto mode.

Paula, I have the Elite but I don't now for sure but I thought that the machine previous was on automode and now on CPAP mode? I tried to change that on clinical mode but's not possible?

Indeed, AHI increased and also some symptoms(tiredness). Last week my AHI was about 8 - 15, before it was about 4 tot 8.

I gonna ask for a copy of the sleep study, the nurse told me if there was something special about the study that they will contact me. Didn't hear from them since that time.

Do you think that a common cold could be the cause?

Thank you!

Post Reply Post Reply
Sad 
(03-08-2013, 04:37 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: At first glance it looks like they had the machine on auto mode then switched to straight CPAP but you've got the Elite which doesn't do the auto mode.

Tuesday I called the hospital with exactly the same question, how to set it back on autoset? The nurse said it's not possible, otherwise I'm convinced that the machine previous was set on autoset...and I think its better for me in that (other)mode!

CPAP S9 Elite
Resmed IP21
(Singapore)
SN: 23121661492
Ref.: 36263
Lot: 406780
CE

Post Reply Post Reply
next to the power button, should say the model: Autoset or Elite

did you start a new drug, some drugs can cause havoc with AHI
could you breakdown AHI to show central apnea index

whats the leak and how does it compare with the previous result
if air goes thru your nose and escape thru your mouth, the loss can reduce the effectiveness of the treatment
chinstrap can help keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leak

having cold or congested nose while you sleep can affect AHI
everyone is different. I need more humidity but others might get congested with more humidity

Edit: SleepyHead shows EPAP when using EPR
ResScan graphs looks different

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2013, 06:08 PM)zonk Wrote: next to the power button, should say the model: Autoset or Elite

did you start a new drug, some drugs can cause havoc with AHI
could you breakdown AHI to show central apnea index

whats the leak and how does it compare with the previous result
if air goes thru your nose and escape thru your mouth, the loss can reduce the effectiveness of the treatment
chinstrap can help keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leak

having cold or congested nose while you sleep can affect AHI
everyone is different. I need more humidity but others might get congested with more humidity

Edit: SleepyHead shows EPAP when using EPR
ResScan graphs looks different

Left and above the power button says elite, right and beneath says EPR.
Didn't change my medication. I'm taking Bisoprolol and aspirine.
It's possible that I'm breathing more via the mouth because of the common cold. Normally I'm a nose breather.

THX

Post Reply Post Reply
The Elite is a "straight" CPAP, meaning it has one set treatment pressure.

The EPR lowers the pressure on exhale, making it easier to breathe against.

Is it the same machine you had before? Sleepyhead provides the model number of the machine in the Summary page.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
SilverSleeper, make sure you've got the date of your visit to the clinic correct. Look carefully at the data and compare what was collected before the visit to what was collected after.

The ResMed S9 Elite is capable of being set at a fixed pressure. Once set, it will maintain that pressure throughout the night and never change.

The ResMed S9 Autoset is capable of being set at a range of pressures. Once set, it will vary the pressure within that range throughout the night, changing according to your needs.

It sounds to me like they switched machines on you. They took the data card out of your original machine (the Autoset) and put it into your current machine (the Elite).

I can think of no other explanation based on the information you've given us!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 148 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,557 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,173 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,327 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,463 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 331 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.