Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 setting problem
RE: Resmed S9 setting problem
Shastzi, by "fixed" I mean Silversleeper should definitely get his autoset machine back and with the right settings. OK, maybe they had a good reason to switch to a straight CPAP but they should have told him. And then they gave him a used Elite without telling him or giving him a refund, assuming he had paid for the autoset (?).

Annoyed-and-disappointedAnnoyed-and-disappointedAnnoyed-and-disappointedAnnoyed-and-disappointed

(03-10-2013, 09:50 AM)Shastzi Wrote: I'm sure the Docs will like to see this. I wonder if you'd sleep better with an Autoset though?

Post Reply Post Reply
SilverSleeper, you've now got enough posts under your belt and you should have no problems posting links. To clean up the thread, I deleted your two posts with no content in them (when you were testing the link feature).

Just so everyone understand how it works, keep in mind that attachments to posts are not the same as links in a post. Each is different, as explained in our Help Documents. Links are explained HERE, and attachments are explained HERE.

Welcome to the forum & good luck. Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2013, 09:50 AM)Shastzi Wrote: I'm sure the Docs will like to see this. I wonder if you'd sleep better with an Autoset though?

With the autoset & previous settings I felt much better, also sleeping was better!

Thank you very much everyone! Gonna call the hospital for a appointment right a way. Will give you an update as soon I have more news!

Post Reply Post Reply
Both statistics before new settings and after new setting shows the same serial number machine

Keep in mind there,re still some bugs to be sorted out with SleepyHead and not sure if there is updated version of the software than v0.9.1

Try ResScan (ResScan don,t work with Mac computers)

Post Reply Post Reply
The pages with the serial number appear to be identical (both from the same day). One other thing I just noticed is that Sleepyhead is not reporting the model number. That could account for some of the odd numbers.

Silversleeper, I suggest looking at your Sleepyhead settings and check to make sure it knows your model number.

(03-10-2013, 03:16 PM)zonk Wrote: Both statistics before new settings and after new setting shows the same serial number machine

Keep in mind there,re still some bugs to be sorted out with SleepyHead and not sure if there is updated version of the software than v0.9.1

Try ResScan (ResScan don,t work with Mac computers)

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SilverSleeper, welcome to the forum!

It does not look like they switched machines on you.

However, as can be seen from the Mask Pressure waveform, it looks like the old settings had EPR enabled only during the Ramp time, and you had only a few Clear Airway events.

http://s1308.beta.photobucket.com/user/S...0.jpg.html

The new settings, however, have EPR enabled full time, and you have many more CA events.

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s607...b298c0.jpg

It is somewhat understandable that they would think they had not made any changes to the pressure. EPR is commonly enabled for users to adjust for themselves. But in your case (and in my case and in many others' cases, too) enabling EPR causes lots of CAs to occur.

If EPR is set for control by Patient, I suggest you either turn off EPR or have it enabled only during the Ramp time, since this seems to be the only setting which changed.

If it is not set for Patient control, you could enable Patient control yourself or, if you think wiser, first call your doctor and ask if the EPR can be turned off or set back to Ramp Only. (Of course, he would say "Yes.")

It is not unusual for CA events to reduce in number during the early months as the patient gets used to CPAP treatment, but if the CAs actually get worse or do not improve you may want to ask for an ASV titration and an ASV type machine such as the S9 VPAP Adapt or PRS1 BiPAP Auto SV Advanced.

The PRS1 BiPAP Auto SV Advanced is a great machine for mixed (centrall plus obstructive) sleep apnea. Or, if you ever get an S9 VPAP Adapt, since you have both Central and Obstructive events, it would be best to have the new model 36037 (made starting Nov 2012) rather than the older model 36007. Both are called the S9 VPAP Adapt but the newer model is better for mixed sleep apnea. The difference is that the newer S9 VPAP Adapt model can automatically adjust the bottom pressure (EPAP) as well as the top pressure (IPAP). The older S9 VPAP Adapt model could automatically adjust only the top pressure.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Vaughn,

I also noticed the difference of the mask pressure before/after the change in settings. Didn't know that EPR could have something to do with that.
I also noticed a lot more CA events versus Obstructive apnea's events.
Gonna try without EPR tonight, I'm having an appointment in the clinic not before next week

THX

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2013, 06:30 PM)SilverSleeper Wrote:
(03-08-2013, 06:08 PM)zonk Wrote: next to the power button, should say the model: Autoset or Elite

did you start a new drug, some drugs can cause havoc with AHI
could you breakdown AHI to show central apnea index

whats the leak and how does it compare with the previous result
if air goes thru your nose and escape thru your mouth, the loss can reduce the effectiveness of the treatment
chinstrap can help keep mouth closed and minimize mouth leak

having cold or congested nose while you sleep can affect AHI
everyone is different. I need more humidity but others might get congested with more humidity

Edit: SleepyHead shows EPAP when using EPR
ResScan graphs looks different

Left and above the power button says elite, right and beneath says EPR.
Didn't change my medication. I'm taking Bisoprolol and aspirine.
It's possible that I'm breathing more via the mouth because of the common cold. Normally I'm a nose breather.

THX
All S9 models have EPR feature. Elite is fixed pressure data capable machine
Experiment with different EPR levels setting and see what works best for you
Everyone is different, Some people swear by it while others swear at it

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm having an incredible result by turning off EPR.

Never before I had an AHI off 2.84, and never before I had so few CA events as last night!

Before I had a lot more Clear airway events(more than double) versus Obstructive events.
Today I'm feeling much better and I'm not tired or tense at all!

Probably the nurse turned the EPR on to make breathing easier for me?

With EPR-off I have to exhale more against the pressure, it's not so comfortably as it is with EPR on, but it's much better for me.

How is this possible? Why is EPR bad for me?

Here is the link with EPR-off: http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s607...18edae.jpg

Thank you all, without you're help I never found a solution so quickly!

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2013, 01:28 PM)SilverSleeper Wrote: Probably the nurse turned the EPR on to make breathing easier for me?

With EPR-off I have to exhale more against the pressure, it's not so comfortably as it is with EPR on, but it's much better for me.

How is this possible? Why is EPR bad for me?

While 1 night's results aren't really enough to confirm that EPR is bad for you, I hope the improved results hold up over time for you and it won't surprise me if they do.

EPR is/was generally considered to be a comfort feature and has been assumed to have little to no effect on therapy. There has been quite a lot of anecdotal evidence suggesting that this is not the case and it seems that opinions are starting to shift in the medical community.

Your nurse probably sincerely believed she was making therapy more comfortable for you and had no idea that she may have been compromising therapy by setting EPR. In any case; results speak for themselves and if the improvement holds up over time, then you will at least know what works for you - even if it takes the medical community a while to figure out "why".

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 149 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,558 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,176 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,327 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 855 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  Are these flow limits my problem? k888 87 5,465 02-26-2024, 12:02 PM
Last Post: k888
  [Treatment] Are leaks the problem or do I need BIPAP? TiredDude 3 331 02-22-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.