Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 whistle
RE: Resmed S9 whistle
(11-01-2012, 08:10 PM)marlap Wrote: I have the same problem, however I own an S8. My whistling problem comes from the nasal mask and not from the machine. I noticed that all of you also use the nasal mask / pillow. Coincidence? I think not. Try re-adjusting your nasal mask and/or pillow and see if that solves your problem.
I also have the whistle on exhale and my S9 is less than a week old. I am not using a nasal mask/pillows. I am using a full face flexi fit 432 by fisher & pakal. I plan on returning the machine if it doesn't stop in a couple of days. That little whistle drives me nuts and keeps my wife awake. I have been unable to find out where it is coming from.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have finally narrowed it down to being related to the filter. If I remove the filter, it usually (but not always) goes away. I can put in a new filter and it will stay away. Sometimes, but not always, opening then re-closing the lid for the humidifier will make it go away. Other than that, I put a pillow on it. Just make sure the intake area is open.

Actually, with this Autoset vs my Escape, I've yet to have the whistle....interesting.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2012, 04:21 PM)hunningsedaniel Wrote: I also have the whistle on exhale and my S9 is less than a week old.

Are you using a ClimateLine hose? Anyone? This is still my best guess.

I have another idea to try (for those that have the whistle problem only), using the Mask Fit feature, try turning it on while holding your hand over the mask end of the hose (remove hose from mask), does that cause a whistle? Try it a few times.

How about exhaling normally but directly into the the hose end (don't use a lot of force) while the Mask Fit is still blowing air?

I'm really running out of idea's to try here. Thinking-about

Thanks for trying,

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
My 3 month old S9 has whistled during exhale with and without a climate line hose attached. BUT it stops once it reaches my full bi-pap pressure settings of 21 IPAP / 15 EPAP.

so I have my ramp time set to 5 minutes to make it go away as quickly as possible.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2012, 07:04 AM)Denial Dave Wrote: My 3 month old S9 has whistled during exhale with and without a climate line hose attached. BUT it stops once it reaches my full bi-pap pressure settings of 21 IPAP / 15 EPAP.

so I have my ramp time set to 5 minutes to make it go away as quickly as possible.

Dave,

At this point you could eliminate your whistling altogether by turning the Ramp one more click from 5 minutes to Off, then you'd never hear it at all.

If it's being caused by less pressure rather than more pressure, which is counterintuitive to my belief that it's being caused by more pressure, I'm at a loss to explain the phenomenon, out of all 3 seals, at least one of them "should" be leaking more at a higher pressure - not less. Thinking-about

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree that my whistling seems counterintuitive. My 5 minute ramp is to let me get into bed, get settled & calm breathing. By the end of the 5 minute ramp, I'm ready to have high pressure and make final strap adjustments.

:-)

Post Reply Post Reply
I have an elite s9, it did not whistle at first but after a couple of months it now has a very low whistle too. It doesn't really bother me but I notice it. It does not come from my mask but the S9 itself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lookimmune, WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I just got the S9 last week after having the S6 for 10 years. I notice the whistle as well on exhale and my wife is getting extremely annoyed with it. I love the S9 compared to my old clunky S6, i actually get much better therapy from the S9, but may have to go back to the S6 if I can't figure out the whistle.
Clearly the whistle is not an isolated issue fork me and must be a flaw in the machine, since I have seen too many folks complaining about it.
Has anyone contacted ResMed about this? If so, what did they identify as the issue or suggest to resolve?
Post Reply Post Reply
Take out the filter and see if it helps any. If it does, check the filter to ensure it is in right. If it has two, use just one.

Also open and re-close the humidifier lid.

Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask - Whistle on exhalation slane52186 4 543 10-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: slane52186
  F&P Vitera Full Face Mask Whistle berkshire17 20 4,651 11-23-2022, 04:18 PM
Last Post: berkshire17
  DreamWear nasal Cushion air vent makes a high pitch whistle noise watertrails 9 2,503 04-24-2022, 02:14 PM
Last Post: watertrails
  [CPAP] Is it normal to hear a subtle whistle when the machine is working? juanjo 24 7,721 05-27-2020, 06:44 PM
Last Post: UncollapseMeThroat
  DREAMSTATION WHISTLE aa1xd 15 9,132 01-10-2019, 01:29 AM
Last Post: sleepyBuzz
  [Equipment] nasal pillows [whistle] confusedcpap 6 3,922 11-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Last Post: nicholb
  2nd DreamStation with a Whistle? Should I get a different brand? Raven87 29 8,832 07-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Raven87

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.