Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed S9 whistle
RE: Resmed S9 whistle
(11-03-2012, 06:38 AM)b360155 Wrote: I then placed the machine on a small step stool next to my bed and only about a foot off the floor and I never hear anything from the unit anymore.

I think this may be the solution for many folks. The whistling issue doesn't seem to be affecting proper CPAP operation anyway.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all the great replies. I already notice the sound comes and goes and does not really bother me much. More importantly it does not bother my wife.

I feel much better knowing that it a common thing.

Thanks, again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-01-2012, 04:59 PM)PollCat Wrote: Hmm, this is a new one on me. I keep my S9 under the bed and have never heard a peep out of it, except for the night I forgot to latch the humidifier chamber. That night it roared!!

I have one more suggestion. Check your mask.
Mine has a "port" of some function, two holes on the bottom sealed with a rubber cap. I assume it's for connecting oxygen or something.
I believe when the cap came loose on my mask it started whistling and I had to hunt down the source. While it may be totally different for you, it's just another suggestion.
Post Reply Post Reply
On the "Mirage Activa," there is a sort of a connector covered with silicon or something and I always wondered what that was for, maybe to connect a sensor or something like that, dontknow?
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
[font=Tahoma][size=large]
Thank you so much for this information. I have had a Resmed CPAP machine for five years and it was wonderful. Now my new Resmed S9 CPAP machine is so annoying. It whistles when I breath out. My Respiratory Therapist said it is in the humidifier and that the material that the machine is made out of is not thick enough....I do not know who to believe..but I am annoyed at paying $2500 for a machine that drives me crazy every night. I have done what you said and moved my closer to the floor and have covered it with a cushion..sound like a mad think to have to do..the make this sleek new machine and we are covering it up and trying all kinds of things to stop the noise. The noise is still there but it has muffled it a bit...There are so many people reporting this annoying sound that you would think they would find a solution for us...Lindsay
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2012, 10:38 PM)lindsay Wrote: [font=Tahoma][size=large]
Thank you so much for this information. I have had a Resmed CPAP machine for five years and it was wonderful. Now my new Resmed S9 CPAP machine is so annoying. It whistles when I breath out. My Respiratory Therapist said it is in the humidifier and that the material that the machine is made out of is not thick enough....I do not know who to believe..but I am annoyed at having paid $2500 for a machine that drives me crazy every night. I have done what you suggested and moved mine closer to the floor and have covered it with a cushion..sound like a mad thing to have to do..they make this sleek new machine and we are covering it up and trying all kinds of things to stop the noise. The noise is still there but it has muffled it a bit...There are so many people reporting this annoying sound that you would think they would find a solution for us...Lindsay

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2012, 10:38 PM)lindsay Wrote: but I am annoyed at paying $2500 for a machine that drives me crazy every night.
Hi lindsay .. welcome to the forum
if you paid that much ... you must be from Aus
in that case on-line US prices are lots cheaper
try place a rubber mat underneath the machine to absorb the sound
you don,t want cover with a pillow as might block the air inlet and causes overheating
new machines covered by 2 years warranty, take the machine back to your supplier and ask them to have the machine/humidifier checked by Resmed and give you a loaner machine to use in the meantime

Post Reply Post Reply
If your S9 is so noisey it is annoying you, then maybe something is wrong with it. Mine has a whistle now and then but not loud enough to be annoying to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-09-2012, 10:38 PM)lindsay Wrote: [font=Tahoma][size=large]
Thank you so much for this information. I have had a Resmed CPAP machine for five years and it was wonderful. Now my new Resmed S9 CPAP machine is so annoying. It whistles when I breath out. My Respiratory Therapist said it is in the humidifier and that the material that the machine is made out of is not thick enough....I do not know who to believe..but I am annoyed at paying $2500 for a machine that drives me crazy every night. I have done what you said and moved my closer to the floor and have covered it with a cushion..sound like a mad think to have to do..the make this sleek new machine and we are covering it up and trying all kinds of things to stop the noise. The noise is still there but it has muffled it a bit...There are so many people reporting this annoying sound that you would think they would find a solution for us...Lindsay

I had the same machine and the same sound. Drove me and my wife nuts. After 3 nights, called our supplier and switched to the Respironics brand machine. I previously had a Resmed (not Auto CPAP), and LOVED it, but the whistle was just the right frequency that sent my wife to the next room.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never heard any sound from mine except the one time I didn't have the humidifier lid closed all the way.

Has anyone tried to isolate the sound specifically to the H5i? Like disconnecting it and connecting the hose directly to the S9 and then try to see if it makes the same whistling sound?

How about isolating the area where the sound is coming from, put your ear next to the output side while simultaneously breathing through the mask, when it starts whistling it should be fairly easy to locate, in the past, while working on car's I've used a 2 ft piece of 3/8" hose or tubing stuck against my ear to help isolate various sounds.

If it's truly the H5i that generates the sound has anyone tried to isolate where it's actually coming from? There's 3 possibilities, the H5i lid gasket, the S9 to H5i port gasket and the H5i output port to the hose which is also a replaceable part that has a both gasket and an "O" ring, one of these 3 parts has got to be the culprit.

The one variable that not everyone shows on their profile panel is which hose they're using, does this only occur while using a ClimateLine hose that makes very minimal contact with the output port as opposed to a regular hose (SlimLine or 22mm) that has a much larger contact area over the output port.

Can someone try to "jiggle" their ClimateLine hose while breathing through their mask to see if this will re-create the problem or make it stop?

Has anyone tried removing the H5i lid and then re-attaching it to ensure it's completely snapped-onto the base?

How about running a slightly dampened cloth around the silicone lid seal and the H5i to S9 rubber seal located inside the round female connector to the S9 output?

I've tried everything I can think of to make mine whistle and it just won't do it but, for those that have the whistle, I really think it may be related to the ClimateLine connector that's causing it, there may be a "nick" in the gray molded connector.

I've gotta know! Can someone please figure-out where it's coming from?

Good luck!

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Full Face Mask - Whistle on exhalation slane52186 4 543 10-01-2023, 01:33 PM
Last Post: slane52186
  F&P Vitera Full Face Mask Whistle berkshire17 20 4,653 11-23-2022, 04:18 PM
Last Post: berkshire17
  DreamWear nasal Cushion air vent makes a high pitch whistle noise watertrails 9 2,503 04-24-2022, 02:14 PM
Last Post: watertrails
  [CPAP] Is it normal to hear a subtle whistle when the machine is working? juanjo 24 7,722 05-27-2020, 06:44 PM
Last Post: UncollapseMeThroat
  DREAMSTATION WHISTLE aa1xd 15 9,133 01-10-2019, 01:29 AM
Last Post: sleepyBuzz
  [Equipment] nasal pillows [whistle] confusedcpap 6 3,922 11-02-2017, 12:43 PM
Last Post: nicholb
  2nd DreamStation with a Whistle? Should I get a different brand? Raven87 29 8,832 07-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Raven87

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.