Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: ResMed H4i
CPAP Pressure: 16
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
Resmed VPAP Auto 25
I know this is an older machine. But is it still a good auto machine? I have a Resmed S8 Elite II which I been using for 5 months and I got it working great. I been wanting an auto and without insurance option would it be worth buying the S8 auto 25 for $300 barely used? I looked at the Clinical Guide and it looks a little intimidating. It didn't take long to learn my current machine and I don't mind taking the time to learn it. I guess I am asking is the auto 25 that much more of a machine then the elite II?
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2012 09:21 PM by mp3family.)
10-10-2012 09:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

RE: Resmed VPAP Auto 25
Hi mp3family,
WELCOME! to the forum.! I don't know the answer to your questions but hang tight and I'm sure someone will know. Best of luck to you.

trish6hundred
10-10-2012 10:18 PM
mp3family Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed S8 Elite II
Mask Make & Model:

Other Comments:

Thanks, I was hoping for a quick reply before I bought it. But I don't think I can go wrong with the price.
10-10-2012 10:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

If I remember correctly, the problem with the S8 is the memory card is proprietary and needs a special reader. And they are getting more and more expensive.

Your subject line says VPAP. VPAPs are typically used for folks with central apnea or those who need better exhale relief.

Have you checked out SecondWind? (Supplier #2 found here)

For just $349, you can get a Respironics DS510 REMstar Auto. Or, better yet, a DS550 but without the humidifier for about the same price.

You do not want a Respironics with Plus in the name or a Resmed with Escape in the name. Both of those are 'dumb' machines with no data collection.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
10-10-2012 10:34 PM
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(10-10-2012 09:20 PM)mp3family Wrote:  I know this is an older machine. But is it still a good auto machine? I have a Resmed S8 Elite II which I been using for 5 months and I got it working great. I been jwanting an auto and without insurance option would it be worth buying the S8 auto 25 for $300 barely used? I looked at the Clinical Guide and it looks a little intimidating. It didn't take long to learn my current machine and I don't mind taking the time to learn it. I guess I am asking is the auto 25 that much more of a machine then the elite II?

Hi mp3family. Welcome to the forum.

The S8 VPAP Auto 25 is definitely better than an S8 AutoSet for folks with high pressure that want to use larger Pressure Support (which acts like EPR on the Elite) than 3 cmH2O.

If you are using ResScan software now then I suppose you already have the S8 card reader.

I don't know whether the Auto 25 reports Tidal Flow through your lungs and Clear Airway events, but I assume it doesn't. The S8 AutoSet does not, and I think the S8 Auto 25 is like the S8 AutoSet except it supports greater Pressure Support. The S9 does report Flow and CA events and Flow Limitation and lots more, as long as Escape is not in the name.

In my view, it is important to see your Tidal Flow and how many CA events are happening, especially because your pressure is fairly high. The S9 machines are more robust in differentiating between CA versus Obstructive Apnea events than are the S8 machines, and the S9 SD card reports far more data than the S8 card. So for the savings in cost you would be giving up the better data reporting you could get with some of the newer machines.

Higher Pressure Support than 3 is not very importance to me, so I think I would probably prefer to save up for a used machine which reports more complete data, which I view as our best tool to see what is going on with our treatment. But that's just me.

Take care.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 04:44 AM by vsheline.)
10-11-2012 04:31 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
mp3family Offline

Preferred Members

Mask Make & Model:

Other Comments:

Thank you very much for the replies! I do have the card and reader. My main reason was wanting the auto function. It does use the autoset algorithm. My elite II is not auto, I am doing good using it but I know the auto could help. Right now I do not have a script or insurance to help. I talked to my doctor yesterday and left a couple reports and my daily spreadsheet for the last 5 months and info on auto machines. I have an appointment in a couple weeks to discuss if she will write me a script, but she said it would be hard to get the insurance company to pay for anything without the actual sleep study report. I don't get many chances at buying one for the reasons stated. I would love to have the S9 and the advanced technologies stated above but the cost is too much right now. Do you think the auto function would be worth paying the money for even if considering upgrading down the road 8-12 months? How do you feel about the price of $300 for the Resmed VPAP Auto 25? Thanks again.
10-11-2012 05:38 AM
zimlich Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics PR System One BiPap Auto SV Advanced
Mask Make & Model: ResMed gel Nasal Mask
Humidifier: System One
CPAP Pressure: 8-20 ASV, 8 EPAP,PS 12

Other Comments: I use the Quattro FFM when necessary

I used that machine for about two years and loved how much control you have over the settings. It also functions as a CPAP, BiLevel, as well as AUTO. The price seems fair. Have you gone to a second hand internet retailer to evalute the price. Also, does it come from a smoking household? I use mine as a backup machine. Itdoes not recognize CA events, but I consider that a plus. LOL.
10-11-2012 08:40 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(10-11-2012 08:40 AM)zimlich Wrote:  I use mine as a backup machine. Itdoes not recognize CA events, but I consider that a plus. LOL.

Hi zimlich - Does the S8 Auto 25 report tidal Flow? I think Flow is the single most useful thing missing from the data the S8 AutoSet reports if using the S8 card reader. Thanks.

Hi mp3family - The price for a used S9 AutoSet with Humidifier is $549 from Supplier #2, who includes professional cleaning and 6 month money back guarantee against mechanical failure on all used machines. The price for used S8 Auto 25 is currently $799, so the S8 Auto 25 may have exceptional resale value.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 11:16 AM by vsheline.)
10-11-2012 11:01 AM
mp3family Offline

Preferred Members

Mask Make & Model:

Other Comments:

Thanks for the replies, I decided to wait to see if I can get a script then I will have more options. I am doing great on my Elite II, so I decided not to rush it and do more research.

vsheline, the clinical guide talks about tidal volume, but it is for 3 machines and I just don't understand it yet. Thanks

What is the best machine that also has the tidal flow & reports CA events? My cpap pressure is at 16, I am not sure if that will increase with time. So should I consider a machine that puts out more then 20?
10-11-2012 09:34 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
zimlich Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics PR System One BiPap Auto SV Advanced
Mask Make & Model: ResMed gel Nasal Mask
Humidifier: System One
CPAP Pressure: 8-20 ASV, 8 EPAP,PS 12

Other Comments: I use the Quattro FFM when necessary

I'm pretty sure the Auto 25 displays Tidal volumn- I remember checking.
10-12-2012 08:36 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ResMed Airsense 10 Auto Set...Runaway Pressure Abnormal86 14 569 11-22-2016 11:39 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 16 3,268 11-12-2016 02:51 PM
Last Post: sonicboom
Question [Equipment] S9 VPAP AUTO QT2U 0 157 11-05-2016 12:27 AM
Last Post: QT2U
  resmed s9 vpap s faliure marcus112 6 377 10-21-2016 08:57 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  difference between Apex XT Auto and Resmed S9 Autoset Lanco 11 448 10-11-2016 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  airsense10 auto cpap(for him) VS DreamStation Auto CPAP DSX500T11 w/HT humid rookiepom 5 872 10-09-2016 07:52 AM
Last Post: stephennic
  Help please new user Resmed auto 9 VERY loud mom1mg 14 739 09-26-2016 07:49 PM
Last Post: RWSENGRG