Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Resmed VPAP Auto 25
Resmed VPAP Auto 25
I know this is an older machine. But is it still a good auto machine? I have a Resmed S8 Elite II which I been using for 5 months and I got it working great. I been wanting an auto and without insurance option would it be worth buying the S8 auto 25 for $300 barely used? I looked at the Clinical Guide and it looks a little intimidating. It didn't take long to learn my current machine and I don't mind taking the time to learn it. I guess I am asking is the auto 25 that much more of a machine then the elite II?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed VPAP Auto 25
Hi mp3family,
WELCOME! to the forum.! I don't know the answer to your questions but hang tight and I'm sure someone will know. Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I was hoping for a quick reply before I bought it. But I don't think I can go wrong with the price.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I remember correctly, the problem with the S8 is the memory card is proprietary and needs a special reader. And they are getting more and more expensive.

Your subject line says VPAP. VPAPs are typically used for folks with central apnea or those who need better exhale relief.

Have you checked out SecondWind? (Supplier #2 found here)

For just $349, you can get a Respironics DS510 REMstar Auto. Or, better yet, a DS550 but without the humidifier for about the same price.

You do not want a Respironics with Plus in the name or a Resmed with Escape in the name. Both of those are 'dumb' machines with no data collection.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2012, 09:20 PM)mp3family Wrote: I know this is an older machine. But is it still a good auto machine? I have a Resmed S8 Elite II which I been using for 5 months and I got it working great. I been jwanting an auto and without insurance option would it be worth buying the S8 auto 25 for $300 barely used? I looked at the Clinical Guide and it looks a little intimidating. It didn't take long to learn my current machine and I don't mind taking the time to learn it. I guess I am asking is the auto 25 that much more of a machine then the elite II?

Hi mp3family. Welcome to the forum.

The S8 VPAP Auto 25 is definitely better than an S8 AutoSet for folks with high pressure that want to use larger Pressure Support (which acts like EPR on the Elite) than 3 cmH2O.

If you are using ResScan software now then I suppose you already have the S8 card reader.

I don't know whether the Auto 25 reports Tidal Flow through your lungs and Clear Airway events, but I assume it doesn't. The S8 AutoSet does not, and I think the S8 Auto 25 is like the S8 AutoSet except it supports greater Pressure Support. The S9 does report Flow and CA events and Flow Limitation and lots more, as long as Escape is not in the name.

In my view, it is important to see your Tidal Flow and how many CA events are happening, especially because your pressure is fairly high. The S9 machines are more robust in differentiating between CA versus Obstructive Apnea events than are the S8 machines, and the S9 SD card reports far more data than the S8 card. So for the savings in cost you would be giving up the better data reporting you could get with some of the newer machines.

Higher Pressure Support than 3 is not very importance to me, so I think I would probably prefer to save up for a used machine which reports more complete data, which I view as our best tool to see what is going on with our treatment. But that's just me.

Take care.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you very much for the replies! I do have the card and reader. My main reason was wanting the auto function. It does use the autoset algorithm. My elite II is not auto, I am doing good using it but I know the auto could help. Right now I do not have a script or insurance to help. I talked to my doctor yesterday and left a couple reports and my daily spreadsheet for the last 5 months and info on auto machines. I have an appointment in a couple weeks to discuss if she will write me a script, but she said it would be hard to get the insurance company to pay for anything without the actual sleep study report. I don't get many chances at buying one for the reasons stated. I would love to have the S9 and the advanced technologies stated above but the cost is too much right now. Do you think the auto function would be worth paying the money for even if considering upgrading down the road 8-12 months? How do you feel about the price of $300 for the Resmed VPAP Auto 25? Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used that machine for about two years and loved how much control you have over the settings. It also functions as a CPAP, BiLevel, as well as AUTO. The price seems fair. Have you gone to a second hand internet retailer to evalute the price. Also, does it come from a smoking household? I use mine as a backup machine. Itdoes not recognize CA events, but I consider that a plus. LOL.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2012, 08:40 AM)zimlich Wrote: I use mine as a backup machine. Itdoes not recognize CA events, but I consider that a plus. LOL.

Hi zimlich - Does the S8 Auto 25 report tidal Flow? I think Flow is the single most useful thing missing from the data the S8 AutoSet reports if using the S8 card reader. Thanks.

Hi mp3family - The price for a used S9 AutoSet with Humidifier is $549 from Supplier #2, who includes professional cleaning and 6 month money back guarantee against mechanical failure on all used machines. The price for used S8 Auto 25 is currently $799, so the S8 Auto 25 may have exceptional resale value.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies, I decided to wait to see if I can get a script then I will have more options. I am doing great on my Elite II, so I decided not to rush it and do more research.

vsheline, the clinical guide talks about tidal volume, but it is for 3 machines and I just don't understand it yet. Thanks

What is the best machine that also has the tidal flow & reports CA events? My cpap pressure is at 16, I am not sure if that will increase with time. So should I consider a machine that puts out more then 20?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm pretty sure the Auto 25 displays Tidal volumn- I remember checking.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,232 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,327 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Resmed airsense 10 auto set card to cloud chronic 4 390 02-02-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 583 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  My resmed s9 escape auto does not save date and time. jocemar 2 280 12-30-2023, 11:03 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 314 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Meaning of information on "Sleep Report" Resmed Aircurve Auto fredhaddock 3 481 11-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Last Post: pholynyk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.