Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

is it safe to use CPAP given to me by friend?
is it safe to use CPAP given to me by friend?
i am sure that I have sleep apnea but like most of the people I know, "my insurance" is terrible. its basically a catastrophic plan that isn't worth anything unless you have major problems, otherwise I pay for everything out of pocket.
My question is- is it safe to use a cpap machine that a friend has given me? I have read that the pressure being to high is a problem with creating too much carbon dioxide on the exhale. does anyone have input on this?
I have the resmed S9 autoset which I believe will automatically seyt to what you need. does anyone know if that is correct?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: is it safe
The carbon dioxide is a myth. Masks have intentional vent rates built in to flush carbon dioxide from the mask. Higher the pressure higher the intentional vent rate goes. They also have entrainment valves so if the machine stops you can still breathe room air.

A wind open range auto is better than nothing. But to really treat your apnea you need to download sleepy head software and tweak your min and max pressure limits so the machine doesnt have so far to go to get up to a effective treatment level.

Also with the range wide open 4 to 20 its always going to be going back to 4 CMH2o when you have no events for a while then when you do it has to climb all the way back up to an effective pressure.

But the only way youll hurt yourself with one is drop it on your toe. LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
All insurance is a racket.

CPAP pressure can induce central apneas. It's important to know what type of apnea you have.
The majority of apnea is cause by airway collapse during sleep.

Since you're new to the forum -- I would read up; and interact here to become educated before trying the Autoset.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi budm,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm curious, did you have a sleep study done to establish a pressure?
Hang in there for more suggestions.
Much success to you as you start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Read this, all of it, as you make your way to Section Three where you can request a manual for your machine.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Then read this, all of it, and learn how to find your own pressure setting.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...re-on-cpap

Also check out our wiki and educate yourself on what all this means. What the terms mean, the alphabet soup, all that.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=Wiki_Home

And keep coming back here to ask questions. There really is no stupid or dumb question you could ask that we've not heard before, answered before, and got the answer for (even if the answer is "aliens did it"). No one will ever tell you it was a stupid or dumb question except in joking. We joke a lot. The aliens make us. Anyway, feel free to ask any question you can't find the answer for or something you need clarified.

There's also the Forum Search option, too.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...rum-Search
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with oscar data for a friend airwaystent 0 184 02-20-2024, 01:12 PM
Last Post: airwaystent
  [Equipment] Are the Replacements Safe Keesh23 0 170 02-02-2024, 12:51 AM
Last Post: Keesh23
  Airsense 10 with modem safe from suppliers? HappySailor 3 767 07-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  Asking for a friend...or a random person on FB David Clark 3 396 05-24-2023, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Dog Slobber
  Could someone please interpret this sleep study for a family friend JamesD0079 4 586 04-06-2023, 06:35 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  Is soft cervical collar safe to use? accetableplaintain 4 1,015 06-26-2022, 07:11 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Sad What glue is safe to use on nasal masks? go2sleep 8 5,193 06-25-2022, 10:50 AM
Last Post: Dog Slobber

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.